The new GooGle - Save the planet!!

I am not one to preach - But this is way cool!!

For those with a responsible attitude towards the environment and the world we live in, this is something we could all use to make a small difference on our part, but a HUGE difference overall.

For those worried with energy consumption and all its downsides. When your screen is white, being it an empty word page, or the Google page, your computer consumes 74 watts, and when its black it consumes only 59 watts. Mark Ontkush wrote an article about the energy saving that would be achieved if Google had a black screen, taking in account the huge number of page views, according to his calculations, 750 mega watts/hour per year would be saved.

In a response to this article Google created a black version of its search engine, called Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white version, but with a lower energy consumption, you can check it out at:

Green Google ( Well black actually :D )

now that's cool. I doubt tough that when I need to google somit. I won't just type google out of habbit. But this is a very good initiative.

If it really helps on a global scale to be noticed IDK... but all bits help and its the tought that matters

GO google ! I mean ...erm... Blackle !

prOm :D

uh... it's not as good as google though :D

I searched "tomorrow" and in google I got 140kk results, blackle I got 100. :P

No image search, no maps? :)

Energy efficient is nice though :)

Ahh I figured it out.. it's the top 100 search results.... well maybe that's ok. I'm usually too lazy to go passed 50 or so anyways

Edited by griffman
uh... it's not as good as google though :P

I searched "tomorrow" and in google I got 140kk results, blackle I got 100. :(

No image search, no maps? :(

Energy efficient is nice though :)

Ahh I figured it out.. it's the top 100 search results.... well maybe that's ok. I'm usually too lazy to go passed 50 or so anyways

lol with me whatever is not on the frist few pages is not on the internet hahahah

LAzeh and prOud of it !

prOm :pitcher:

What a fantastic idea. Good on google! Blackle is now my firefox homepage. For image searches and all other special google goodies I still have my little google parser at the top right of my browser.

Thanx for the info Anestty! :pitcher: