Harry Potter The War Criminal

I thought this was quite funny when I saw it in the news.

"Civil liberties campaigner Shami Chakrabarti, is nothing if not serious. The director of the pressure group Liberty applies the same standards to Harry Potter as she does the likes of Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, and Slobodan Milosevic. Millions of readers around the world regard Harry as a positive role model, but as far as Chakrabarti is concerned, he is a war criminal. Once a huge fan of the novels, Chakrabarti was appalled by an incident in the final instalment of J.K. Rowling's saga. Halfway through Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the boy wizard, in a moment of vengeful rage, deliberately uses a spell against one of Voldemort's henchmen which lives him twitching and writhing in agony. In Chakrabarti's view the spell "Crucio" constitutes "proper torture* under the terms of the European Convention on Human Rights. "It's just wrong," she says "Harry Potter has tortured someone, that was a war crime."

Wierd eh? I'm amazed she didn't mention his use of Imperio, and the way the order used all the unforgivable curses in the last battle.

:4rofl:

~Doom

Edited by TimOfDoom

Hi :4rofl:

It can sound funny but I think that Harry Potter does nothing but harm childrens ability to reason. Not because the fantasy theme or the spells (or curses) and not this laughable claim that he is a war criminal but it teaches childrens a very very bad lesson: no matter what you do, no matter how you do it - its all right if you succeed. This could work in RL (and sadly mostly it works) but I think as human beings we should have higher standars.

So lets burn all the HP books and lets crucify Rowling for the sake of mankind! :yay:

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, doesn't it make us war criminals as well, think of all our genocidal campaigns on orcs and sakkara priests..

:4rofl:

~Doom

I think Chakrabarti needs to get a life. A single instance of torture is not going to rise to the level of a war crime. Nice try though ya publicity Addict. :D

I loved the Harry Potter books now as for how they influence children well I dunno my kids are still to young to read but they have watched the movies and reguard them as nothing but fiction. As for war crimes omfg first off these are books your cant compare books to things that actual ppl have done and if you can then damn we are all in trouble for the stuff we do here huh lol.

Speaking of which, if he's a war criminal the same could be said of just about every other hero and plenty of non-heroes in books.

:tongue:

~Doom

Well, I have nothing to add on the subject, but I will say: I HATE HARRY POTTER! He is so childish and immature, and I think our world would be better off without him. I can't believe he has so many fans. It is so stupid. (Sorry if I offended any harry potter fans here, but please at least look at it with an objective viewpoint.)