WARNING MSN WORN/VIRUS

erialc

I was playing Sacred this morning and my pc started to churn like mad, because I play in windowed mode I saw it was a chat thing on msn ....clicking out of the game to try and close it, my mouse was moving like a corpse through treacle and instead of clicking X to close it landed on a linky to a picture thingy, wasn't too worried this was a contact I know, then mouse pc had an enormous FECAL MATTER! fit, flickering screen, couldn't close anything so I hit CTRL ALT DEL, nothing it was locked upo and I knew this poxy link was probably something extremely malicious ;) So I turned it off at the tower. Rebooted and bingo 4 people asking me 'so where's the pic's?' 'what pics?' this poxy thing had infected my pc and was obviously making contact with others in my contacts list.

Luckily for me Mehmet (TheRealGodfather) was one of them and he helped me out massively with advice and another script to block addins on msn. I was using Avast as my anti Virus but on Mehmet's advice has now got Kasperky. Odd thing is Avast didn't detect diddly! :) but Kasperky found it right away and was easy enough for me to use! :Just_Cuz_21:

2 and the rest hours have now been spent sorting out this nasty malicious little peice of crapand I was given a very big scare I am about as technical as a 2 by 4.

So my advice....don't click any links to anything or from anyone on MSN.

My mate Craig is going to call over later to make sure my pc is like fort Knox and he gave me these interesting links:

Scary Scary! and this note int he first one the bit where it says allows others to take control of your pc :o

I can not apologise enough if anyone I know here is on my contacts list and got this damn thing and I hope that nobody has clicked on it. I telephoned my Mom who is on my list but oddly she didn't get any automatic messages from me I just hope pulling the power when I di stopped it going through all my contacts.

It's gone now thank goodness and I am going to get this pc locked up tighter than a convent....I thought my protection was enough! seems it was as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Mehmet! if you read this Thanks to you my friend for your help and advice lol I was really panicing!

Ah stupid Msn again.

It has always been a major build in weakness for window. And I'm sure microsoft knows it pretty well... I just hope another genius will rise soon, and hopefully he will be a better person that you know who. :)

*hand Claire a steamy mug of strong coffee* :D

Kaspersky is very very good. Claire, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I think I was on you once when that ugly virus reared it's head and tons of stuff just appeared in the window. I hate msn for stuff like this and I NEVER click on anything that anyone tries to send me via this unless they tell me manually what they are sending it for and why.

Same as in emails.

Looks like you've got a smart friend helping you out on this, and great to see you're on the road to recovery.

And...here's a cup of coffer fer ya...with refreshing secret ingredient of course...

:D

gogo

p.s. :)

Looks like you've got a smart friend helping you out on this, and great to see you're on the road to recovery.

Ahh yes thanks gogo hehe I needed that cuppa :P...I had THE best help... I am now getting used to Kasperky wow what a programme! lol I even managed to somehow block irc with it so I'm getting used to it's functionality and really this was probably the best wake up call I could have had! I was sitting thinking I was ok with the stuff I had to protect me and it was woefully inadequate :P I am lucky to have had the help I did or I'd still be running round like a headless chicken shouting 'my pc has ebola' :D

hehe I have to admit to being an utter drama queen with this sort of stuff, my lack of understanding creates a huge panic in me and I was expecting to be lynched by everyone on my msn contacts list.

:)

Glad it worked out fine for you Claire :)

Another thing to do is have a look at this thread here you can dl the setup iam using or you can add/remove whatever (almost) you want on your msn

The most important thing here is to get ride of the picture ads The reason for this is that MS has allowed ads from systemdoctor.com (do not go to this address) this is a corp that has a lot of aka´s and are one of the worst (and most annoying) corps around with very very aggressive marketing techniques (fork like installing stuff on your pc without asking starting downloads automatically and more....) ( here you can read what Symantec has to say about them)

if you block all traffic to and from this address and ip numbers in you firewall you are in any case not less safe :hugs: But iam sure they have tons and tons of other address and ip numbers they are using :butcher:

winfixer.com

systemdoctor.com = [66.244.254.64]

winantivirus.com = [66.244.254.64]

winantispyware.com = [66.244.254.64]

winantiviruspro.com = [66.244.254.63]

ooooh and again do NOT goto any of this address

anyway hope this helps some of you :)

Regards BHJ

hey there

I'm sorry Claire for all this "Fecal Matter" as you said.

If I can give you a piece of advice, it's said that Alvaro's MSN (aMSN) is much more protected and flawless than MS MSN, but doesn't offer all the crap.... options of MSN. Give it a try, it works on MSN netwook of course. I used it some times ago, but I'm not found of Instant messengers, so I can't really give an opinion about it.

Hope it helps

Ahhh Thanks bhj and Nihi, I am fast loosing patience with msn and it's holes tbh that and the fact my darling son downloaded some evil emotes to it that are proving hellish to remove. I have ICQ and I am sorely tempted to kill off msn.

Blade I hope your brother can get rid of it I found the way it seemed to take over and sooo very fast terrifying, get him to try this Kaspersky within seconds it had found and elimated that evil thing! It's free for a month with full functionality so I'm loving it right now :thumbsup:Kaspersky free Trial Hope that helps :woot: