Possible to make SacredWiki multilanguaged?

Well, needless to say it feels like all of a sudden the big world of Sacred Communities is checking out SacredWiki :woot:

lol.. all good...but another boatload of questions to ask...and perhaps some considerations?

:P

This morning new posts popped up over the Sacred International Forum:

French Forum:

Translation:

"Open of Wiki Sacred:"

http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/sho...ead.php?t=45056

With a link to the official Sacred 2 French Site:

"SacredWiki finally open! "

http://www.sacred2.com/fr/nouvelles/nouvel...iki_online.html

Italian Forum:

"Sacred Wikepedia Finally Online!"

http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/sho...ead.php?t=45054

And last night I had seen that other forums written in Russian were discussing SacredWiki, and some with comments that it's only in English.

:D

See what you guys have gotten yourself into!

:4rofl:

My question now is... does anyone know if making a multi language Wiki is possible?

Does google offer them a decent enough translation?

Should we all just concentrate on producing primary content with using online translators...or are there any other options available for a multilingual wiki?

:)

gogo

p.s. and again to everyone who's donated time to the project... Those threads in the SIF are a great note of appreciation to all of you guys...Demand like this is an international hats off to the astonishing work done by the more than 30 people who've helped out...and the list will hopefully keep growing.

Nice work guys

:hugs:

Oh... I knew this would come, lol.

Well, in all truth we really should follow the SIF's lead and supply the wiki in the languages it is supporting. *gulp!* We'll surely need to review how to properly enter alternate language versions for a page. I guess I know now what I'll be doing in the near future. :D

It's an interesting concept to have the wiki in the languages supported by SIF. However one thing I am really leery of is those online translators, they can come up with some very colourful and often totally unintelligable translations. Maybe those from the the other communities have people who also speak read enough English to make accurate translations and would be happy to work with us to make that input needed :)

hehe.. :)

The italian community is currently thinking to create an italian version of it too. I don't suggest to use web translators.. ..when one of the sif community translated a german guide by using google, he did so many mistackes that's incredible.

I don't know now if we are going to collaborate under the sif lead, because we are an independent community. (the only one that italians are referred to)

So, from my point of view, the best choice is to find out people who are able to understand the main sense of senteces, and translate them.

I'm thinking that the best option here is to have anyone interested in translating the content into their own language would probably be the best way of tackling this as what Patrolo said makes sense...translating programs are a bit to "funny" to use. Especially for reference material.

Looking for anyone that's interested then!

:4rofl:

gogo

p.s and good luck with your wiki, Patroclo!

you might believe it or not, but I'm thinking of asking you guys to move the german wiki stuff to your site.

btw I meanwhile know how has registered the .net and .com -- someone from Virgina. I will get in contact with that person the next days to ask for transfer that domains.

Cheers

Pyx

Wicked!

Powerpyx, there is fantastic tables, and content on the German site that would really add more fan value to SacredWiki, if this is possible and you're okay with this, we can start to bring content over.

thank you!~

:ninja:

gogo

p.s. ahhh, you found the owners...I hope they're cool with a transfer...lol, if they're not using it for the game I wonder what they're using it for ... :4rofl:

Oh very nice PowerPyx. That would be very cool. :( Very curious about Brian and why he bought both .net and .com. Who is this guy?! lol. The mystery continues...

• 1 month later...

Very interesting Chloe. Nice find and thank you for bringing it here. :)

I read through it very carefully and it does seem to have potential. I'll need to read it several times more I think and hopefully I can find a wiki that uses this extension to give me a nice idea of how it works. We've certainly not forgotten about this idea but for the present we're still establishing a structure on the SacredWiki. In particular we have recently created 2 custom namespaces. One called "Sacred" to contain all that is "Underworld" and the other called "Sacred 2" which will contain all that is "Fallen Angel". :) gogo and Indy as well as others have taken the very large task of transferring/organizing all of the existing SacredWiki pages into the appropriate namespaces which pretty much sums up where we are at in terms of structure.

It's very hard to say at this point what will happen with languages. Maybe just French and English could be possible. Rest assured I would very much like to integrate French into the SacredWiki and since I live in Montreal Quebec I am somewhat fluent in French which is very motivating. :D gogo is perfectly fluent and that's a huge +.

Merci beaucoup ma belle! :(

• 2 weeks later...

To get it to work without other language translations from fans, you will need a multilanguage dictionary file at minimum. I did a cursory search, and there are quite a few translators out on the Web. I honestly don't know the limits of what programs might be out there, and a quick Google search turned up Lingoes as freeware. Of course, the ideal solution would be a program that can translate entire pages with accurate results.