List the movies/TV shows that ruined your life....

I was just thinking about this the other day; I'm sure that I am not the only one who was affected on a deep level by a movie or something that they saw on TV. Perhaps it was for a few weeks, or months. Maybe you are still feeling the effects, years later.

I'll give an example: After seeing the movie "Jaws", many were afraid to to in the water.

Jaws didn't affect me much as I don't swim and I already had a water phobia. Can't even get too close to swiming pools. But here are a couple of my own......

The day of the Triffids. One of my favorite, low budget thrillers. Remember the meteor shower that renders many blind at the start? Whenever there is news of some great meteor shower in the news, I turn in early--don't want to see it. While I doubt that I'll go blind and become a feast for some man-eating plants.....well you get the picture.

Not sure about this one, but I think it was an episode of twilight zone. As a joke some yahoo puts an earwig in a friends ear and it proceeds to eat his brain. For months after that I slept with a finger in each ear.

Last one. There was a movie about some alien power that infected a kid's house. It was called impulse or vibes. There was a part where a neighbor kid told the boy about how a neighbor died, something falling in the disposal and flying out. Later, the father was injured the same way. I usually cover the opening with a pot when I run the disposal. I'm sure that there is nothing in there, but there is no reasoning with unreasonable fears.

Okay, I showed you mine, so let's see yours.....

ok I saw hill's have eyes some time ago and it was pretty freaky.

and yesterday I saw the film black sheep, and it looked lit it tryed to be serius. but I never laguahed so much under a horror movie before

bahhh

The ring did it for me.

the girl in the closet with the face still gives me nightmares :)

yeah.. I don't like scary/torture movies :P

The ring did have an effect on me as well. But it was more disturbing than scary. Part two was kind of silly though.

Oh oh I know there are several that hit me in a bad place, But I can only pull up the name of a couple of them, (Ill add others later on :) )

The Grudge .. I just have this thing... A Ghost isn't supposed to FOLLOW you away from its haunting, or get you no matter where you are!! :P

That and Legends of the Fall, Never before had I seen a movie that had made me feel worse After watching it, in my life!

All movies do change peoples opinions, even if it's only for during, 5 minutes after, or for several decades. I have quite a list:

Underworld+Evolution --> I tend to look more positive to vampires and werewolves in fiction after seeing this. Still I see a strong note on 'Discrimination' in there.

Stir of Echoes --> In every mind there is a door that has never been opened.

Jaws 1 or any other --> I watched it half when I was 8? I saw it last year and didn't even budge at all.. (I'm 18 now you do the math)

Kiss kiss bang bang --> I stopped believing in coincidences maybe due to that one

Stardust --> Just a movie which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling on the inside... all go watch it, now!

Schindler's List --> I remember the day where we discussed this movie in class, some disagreed with emphasizing with the main character, others didn't. Can you guess where I stood?

The X-Files --> Not a movie but it still has great impact on many people claiming all kinds of stuff against the US government. Who knows?.. Do you?

The life of Forrest Gump --> This is just beautifull, also a warm fuzzy feeling about a guy who experiences very fortunate events. How more righteous can you get.

The Matrix --> yeah go ahead and laugh, but for once look deeper. The way I see it is cult, mecha and fantasy in one. And it's about belief, Religion aswell I still ponder a lot about those movies, aspects of it and the like.

Ghost in the Shell --> Also not a movie but still some noteworthy, a lot of aspects are put under a spyglass here. I really like the setting and it's a good Cyberpunk anime.

These were my cents, maybe I need to get a life lol.

Sylph

Edited by Sylph

Well I have a few that made a impact not sure good or bad but they are my thoughts.

The Hills Have Eyes ---> I never finished this movie. First off I live in New Mexico so omg!! But even though I have a problem with movies that have anything bad to do with babies even though I may never know the outcome of that movie I just had to get to that part where they took the baby and that was it for me.

Grease ---> My all time favorite movie impacted me in a way that its no bad thing to work on who you are for someone you care about both major characters did this for one another.

The Excorsist ---> Well being how this movie was based on a real event of a young boy that shared the same religion as me need I say much more.

The Devils Advocate ---> Reminded me to watch myself and what sins present itself and how I handle them

Arachonphobia ---> Well I hate spiders well more like trantulas not all spiders and this movie did its best to horrify me even more

The Ring --> Also disturbed me

The Saw movies ---> OMG OMG I can picture this happening and that in itself is freaky

The Village ---> The whole concept of the village hidden off from the world with its elders working hard to keep it that way made me look at our society in a different light

Alien ---> ok I was little when this came out I will say about 8-10 and I was at my uncles house we started watching this and I ran into the room I was staying in and it had a huge deer head hanging on the wall. To this day the whole ordeal freaks me out and I still dont like deer heads.

Signs ---> water who would have ever thought huh I am weary of crop circles now and seeing how we have alot of crops and little water oh crap

That's just a few for now.

Edited by Seductive_Vampie
Well I have a few that made a impact not sure good or bad but they are my thoughts.

The Hills Have Eyes ---> I never finished this movie. First off I live in New Mexico so omg!! But even though I have a problem with movies that have anything bad to do with babies even though I may never know the outcome of that movie I just had to get to that part where they took the baby and that was it for me.

Grease ---> My all time favorite movie impacted me in a way that its no bad thing to work on who you are for someone you care about both major characters did this for one another.

The Excorsist ---> Well being how this movie was based on a real event of a young boy that shared the same religion as me need I say much more.

The Devils Advocate ---> Reminded me to watch myself and what sins present itself and how I handle them

Arachonphobia ---> Well I hate spiders well more like trantulas not all spiders and this movie did its best to horrify me even more

The Ring --> Also disturbed me

The Saw movies ---> OMG OMG I can picture this happening and that in itself is freaky

The Village ---> The whole concept of the village hidden off from the world with its elders working hard to keep it that way made me look at our society in a different light

Alien ---> ok I was little when this came out I will say about 8-10 and I was at my uncles house we started watching this and I ran into the room I was staying in and it had a huge deer head hanging on the wall. To this day the whole ordeal freaks me out and I still dont like deer heads.

Signs ---> water who would have ever thought huh I am weary of crop circles now and seeing how we have alot of crops and little water oh crap

That's just a few for now.

lol seductive! I actually dated a girl who was like best friends with Bryce Dallas Howard (The blind girl from the village) in high school, so I got to meet her a couple times... and it was actually filmed about an hour or so from where I live... =P but I agree... it just reminded me of Amish people... and arachnophobia! lol I forgot to put that one on my list! lol I used to love spiders... but that movie kinda weirded me out. the saw movies are fair, but yes, disturbing... good call on the arachnophobia though

-Total

• 2 months later...

There are probably two movies I remember from my childhood which gave me a true :4rofl::hopeless: feeling that, when I was a child, I couldn't quite identify or characterize because I just didn't know the words for them yet. Heck when you're seven or eight years old, most things you can utter are arrgh or where prezzies? Right? From both the movies I'm going to talk about, I felt feelings like I'd never felt before which I can perhaps describe now as an adult.

Despair.

Hopelessness

Unfairness

Cruelty

Injustice

All of those words all combined into that smiley up above here on my post...such a horrid mishmash of feelings...the kinds that go to bed with you in the middle of the night and that have you screaming.

Here then are my two movies.

The Fly

Not the remake, though I rather did enjoy the remake with Gina Davis and Jeff Goldboom...we're talking the original here...with Vincent Price...the master of horror.

300px-CharlesHerbert2.jpg

Though I didn't know it at the time, Vincent was a master of the macabre and knew what could get to us. Concepts that we're terrified to address because they make us face possibilities that we perhaps wished could not could possibly exist. And so enters The Fly. Into the life of of a child who knows nothing of despair, misery and horror. Children are like this, they are invulnerable in this way, and so was I. Nothing ever could go bad in life, heck, a day later we'd forgotten about it, the magic of a young memory. If classic literature paints most recounting via tragedy and comedy imagine then the life of a child as being full of nothing but comedy. Everything is about discovery, nothing remains unfair, and no evil lasts forever. When you're a child, there is a certain amount of justice and the word cruelty especially that which is evinced by circumstances beyond our control, simply do not exist. Fate? What's that. Chaos? What's that. Things just are, and there is a certain balance to it all, a kind of reality. Injustices are utterly incomprehensible...and a horror movie's ideas of cruelty are so far beyond our comprehension that seeing something that is so cruel and SO unfair...can wrack a young mind.

Vincent Price's movie The Fly was such a thing. I had thought, at that time, I was being a good little grown up, my parents had allowed me to stay up a little past my bed time to indulge in this old school classic black and white which showed on some station they used to watch then. And all was good with me bearing admirably, strutting my courage and feeling all grown up... until the end. The end of this movie so took me by surprise...and made me so angry, so fearful, so scared...that I remember jumping up and saying over and over to my parents...that's not fair, that's not fair, that's not fair... I begin to tear, to stomp my foot at the injustice of it all...the heroe had done all the right things...he had tried his hardest...he was an existentialist for god's sake...surely there was an answer, surely no wall could be so insurmountable that nothing we co could find a happy ending. But you soon learn that childhood ends quickly and this golden path of Comedy soon becomes veined with Tragedy. The end of the fly had me so longing for another ending that I couldn't sleep in my bed that night and for the next week I kept hearing that shrill voice...

"help me...help me..."

Surely the hero had a better option?

Youtube actually had the ending of the fly..the clincher, the thing that can make kids grow up fast...I know it did for me and changed my life. So if you haven't seen the movie, maybe go out and rent it, and see how it leads to this. It's hardcore, cruel and harsh.

Yes little gogo, not everything is fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqpLF-KS8BI

:didi:

gogo

The special episode of little house on the prairie where the house burns down with the baby or kid in it. wathed when I was a minor (wont say how young as just little house watching dates me *g*) I've had a real fear of fire since then. especially fire that would burn the house down

hmm well ruining is a stron gword for the movies I'll write down in a bit.. but as most here I'm an Avid movie fan, I even have an account with a dutch movie site where u can track what u watched etc... but I have 2 movies I will NEVER watch, for 2 different reasons, first off,

E.T. - I never got to watch this movie when I was a kid and when I grew up I still didn't want to see it, it reminded me of the sneer I got because I didn't see it ( as the only one in my class ) so I now simply prefer to watch something more recent.

Titanic - I mean what's the point of making a movie from which you allready know the outcome

THE BLOODY BOAT SINKS ! KNOW YER DARN HISTORY

not to mention it has been parodied more then any other movie so far.. and shouting I'm the King of the world isnt even Cool anymore... ( it's actually very excruciatingly, pathetically, seriously Lame.

movies that did my eyes good good are there too btw :hugs:

Pulp fiction - released in a period that moviemaking was getting from bad to worse in Hollywood, All Star cast, All Star Acting, and brilliant script.

Close encounters of the 3rd Kind - bone chilling good, especially the build up and the way it was filmed

the godfather - Duh....

as for movies that ruined my life other then the 2 previously written down I'd have to name a whole heap of them in 1 word.

SEQUELS!!

and I don't mean in the category godfather, Matrix, Resident evil or even Kill bill cuz they were gems and they Continue to tell a Story, and usually very well thought through too.

but movies like .. speed 2, Rocky 5000 ( spaceballs anyone? ) Police academy 2 through .. I dunno... etc.. you all can figure it out... even writing them all down would hurt my eyes ...