Three minute job presentation

OMG I am very late in my readings at school. I am very stressed and I can't think.

I have an interview for a job in ottawa but for my interview I am supposed to do 3 minute presentation! I do not know what to present ? any ideas guys? thanks

ot

Three minute job presentaton? I've never heard of something like this before... isn't job stuff like this usually done by them just doing an interview?

I hope someone here's able to help you with this, as I've never heard of this kind of a job interview format before

:D

gogo

p.s. definitely try googling this concept, if it's being done, I'm sure someone's written a guide up for it.

They didnt tell you what the presentation should be about? :D

My guess would be that they expect you to basically advertise yourself. Why do you want this job and why should they choose me over the others.

My experience with any presentation is that they should be visual. Though its only 3 minutes, maybe you can prepare some Power Point slides to summarize the main points.

What kind of job is this?

INTERVIEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR CANDIDATES

2008 PARLIAMENTARY GUIDE PROGRAM

WRITTEN KNOWLEDGE EXAM

The first part of the interview will consist of a written knowledge exam (approximately one half hour in length.) Please read the information on our website by following the links below:

The Parliament Buildings

http://www.parl.gc.ca/publications/ParlBlgs-e.htm

How Canadians Govern Themselves:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/...sey/index-e.asp

On the Job with Member of Parliament:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/in...job/index-e.htm

GROUP INTERVIEW

Following the written exam, you will participate in a group interview. Typically, five or six candidates are interviewed at the same time. The group interview format creates an interactive environment that is very appropriate for evaluating personal suitability for the position of Parliamentary Guide.

PREPARATION

Parliamentary Guides are constantly called on to make complex information meaningful and interesting to very different groups of people. Guides know that in giving the same presentation in the same way all the time they will lose the attention of most of their visitors. Therefore, they look for ways to adapt their presentation to the particular needs and interests of each group. This requires careful preparation, confidence in one’s material, acute perception, quick thinking, and lots of imagination. No small feat!

During your interview you will be asked to make an oral presentation in front of the other candidates and the evaluators on any subject other than Parliament. The presentation should last no longer than three minutes and can be delivered in the official language of your choice. You will probably want to prepare your presentation in advance as you will not be permitted the use of notes or cue cards at the interview.

This is all the information we can give you regarding your presentation until the time of your interview. Good luck!

that!! :thumbsup:

Ok, because the job is as a guide, they will be expecting you to know exactly what you are talking about, so I would study up on history of the building, what is the goings on in parliament etc. They have given you links to the website to learn the material that they expect you to know.

Try to think of the old school exursions and the kids that will be asking questions, or the tourists that will want to know how the cogs and wheels of parliament turn, practice on family and friends to see what works best.

You are going for a job that is more or less a Tour guide, so knowledge in the field is a necessity and those that have obviously got the personality to present themselves and incorporate that knowledge will be tops.

Edited by Funkilicious

Often on a tour, the guide will stop and give a small story about some historic item/statue/painting. I'd do something along this line.

For example: I might find a picture of a statue of a famous/important Canadian and give small speech about it (take the picture w/ you as a visual aide). "And now I'd like to call your attention to the statue of Blah Blah. Blah was the first Canadian to reach the rank of General in the Royal Army... What many people don't know about General Blah Blah is that he enjoyed fishing and often spent the summer with his family at Hudson Bay..... The statue itself was built in 1923 by the unknown sculpter Tweedle Dee. It is constructed entirely of bronze and weighs over 1200 pounds. Now if you'll follow me down the stairs, we'll see some historic paintings, please watch your step."

Edited by masteff
Ok, because the job is as a guide, they will be expecting you to know exactly what you are talking about, so I would study up on history of the building, what is the goings on in parliament etc. They have given you links to the website to learn the material that they expect you to know.

Try to think of the old school exursions and the kids that will be asking questions, or the tourists that will want to know how the cogs and wheels of parliament turn, practice on family and friends to see what works best.

You are going for a job that is more or less a Tour guide, so knowledge in the field is a necessity and those that have obviously got the personality to present themselves and incorporate that knowledge will be tops.

thanks funki :P I can't talk about the parliament anything but the parliament :D(( lol

Often on a tour, the guide will stop and give a small story about some historic item/statue/painting. I'd do something along this line.

For example: I might find a picture of a statue of a famous/important Canadian and give small speech about it (take the picture w/ you as a visual aide). "And now I'd like to call your attention to the statue of Blah Blah. Blah was the first Canadian to reach the rank of General in the Royal Army... What many people don't know about General Blah Blah is that he enjoyed fishing and often spent the summer with his family at Hudson Bay..... The statue itself was built in 1923 by the unknown sculpter Tweedle Dee. It is constructed entirely of bronze and weighs over 1200 pounds. Now if you'll follow me down the stairs, we'll see some historic paintings, please watch your step."

wow...I am amazed. mmm I wonder how I can find the dirt under the rag lol...merci :)