Sausages... first time I purchased these ever

I was at the local loblaws with a friend of mine who has a car...this is the kind of shopping place where it seems like the aisles go on for miles and miles.... and I couldn't believe how cheap meat was... I was able to pick up like 16 decent sized italian spicy sausages for 3.90

:whistle:

Sausage isn't something my family usually eats, and the novelty of buying something that was so inexpensive but that looked so spicy and red-blooded was compelling.

Thing is... lol, I am clueless on how to cook them. I stuck one in a frypan with water and then....sort of boiled it for about an hour...it came out tasty...but, dunno...seemed like it was missing something.

Is there some kind of sausage cooking technique that I'm missing out on here?

:)

gogo

Personally I drool over them when sauteed with green peppers and yellow spanish onions... OOOh they smell and taste so good! Kind of like a fall day at the fair!.. But thats just me :)

Oh Okies, Just a deep pan/or pot (I make a batch of 6 at a time) on the stove top.. med heat is best.. Cut up the peppers and onions in long slices with the sausage , cover with your lid.. and leave it :) No extra oil or water.. just let it get up to temp on its own.. the oils from the sausage will come out and keep the veggies from sticking.. and cook until your veggies are soft and sacrifice a sausage, cut and check there is no more pink :whistle:

Make sure you mix it around now and then to ensure your sausage has a chance to be at the bottom of the pot :)

Its usually about half an hour..Ive never really thought about times, always just went with the flow.

When its done, Pull out everything and place on paper towels to pull out the extra oils (Otherwise your rolls will get all soggy very fast

Excellent...okay, I've got the onions, a good pan and a lid and a bunch of sausages...I'm figgering I'll cook em all at once, this way I can use em out during the next few days.

Ty!

gogo

p.s. lol, love that part about sacrificing a sausage...Oy!

hehehe Well its only really sacrificed cause you just HAVE to taste it! Being done ofc :) cause the poor thing would be sad if you didn't!

I do hope you like it though. I generally try and keep it simple, that way there are less things to go wrong!

Um as long as they get "bottom of the pan" time, they should brown a bit. if not you can crank up the heat near the end and roll them around :) haha Just be sure to pull your onions first, otherwise they would burn.

I am a big fan of just throwing the sausages on the grill for a few minutes. Heck, if I can't wait, certain sausages(chedderwurst comes to mind) are fine in the microwave :)

But the best thing you can do for your sausages--and you'll need two types of sausage for this(a cured one and one stuffed in a casing)--is slice them thickly and cook them in a gumbo. :whistle:

I love meat Borg, it's just that the really good stuff is so pricey. I'm still astounded by how cheap the links were... definitely the best value per gram of meat that I've found here in Montreal.

I guess it comes down to a kind of method that cooks the sausages with the insides thoroughly done, and then trying to find a way to crisp/brownify the outside. I sort of like that way I accidentally happened upon, whereby which I used a sauce pan with some water in it, then all th sausages inside, then I covered and put it at a VERY low heat...sort of like a combination boil/steam thing going on...best part about it is...I get a great amount of liquid/ residue after I pull the cooked sausages out...

Sausage soup anyone?

gogo

Whahaha sausage soup that just sounds gross!

My mom makes sausages in a frying pan, with a little bit of butter to stop them from sticking to the pan.

[terrible french accent]Turn on thee heat, let le butterr turrn brown and then put in thee zausagez and roll dzem around to get thee nice currrizpy on thee outzide[/terrible french accent]

It's either that, or we throw them on the BBQ :)

Edited by Timotheus

lol, french accent....

I'm just gonna sit around here all day and keep saying the word sausage soup

oooh, it's pretty freaky huh

gogo

p.s. Indy c'mon and join up here why don'tcha! :4rofl:

I'm just gonna sit around here all day and keep saying the word sausage soup

oooh, it's pretty freaky huh

Sigh.....

Right now I'm feeling like Samwise Gamgee instructing Golum on the wonders of potatoes. "Poh-Tay-Toh! Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew!"

Sausage soup, you say? Well let's go back to my post. What is gumbo if not sausage soup? Of course I've over simplified. In gumbo, sausage is not Jim Carey in any of his insane movies. Instead, the sausage is Ross or Monica or any of the cast of friends--if you get my meaning.

Do yourself a favor and get two cups of chopped onions and one cup each of bellpepper and celery. Cook these over medium high heat in a bit of oil. Toss in some boneless chicken thighs.

When the chicken is less than half done toss in about a pound of frozen sliced okra and cook, stiring from time to time until it looks....well....nasty. LOI.

cover with chicken broth and chopped tomatos and let cook for a while. Toss in your sausage and cook awhile longer. Feel free to toss in some shrimp if you like(I don't anymore after a near death experience and a trip to the emergency room :3lmao: )

Oh and don't forget the salt, pepper, a bit of ground pepper and a bit of sage.

Make this just once and your sausages will be soo happy.

I'm still astounded by how cheap the links were... definitely the best value per gram of meat that I've found here in Montreal.

Don't ask why Gogo.

I personally prefer mine cooked in the oven & served with some chips (proper English chips) & eggs.

I personally prefer mine cooked in the oven & served with some chips (proper English chips) & eggs.

Ah I have heard someone said it before, so what is proper English chips?

Sorry I'm a bit off topic. :4rofl:

definitely the best value per gram of meat that I've found here in Montreal.

gogo

Umm hate to burst the whole meat bubble there Gogo, but do a bit of research and you will find that it isn't entirely meat you are sizzling there....lol. There are pure beef/pork/chicken/veal sausages out there but you will be paying much the same as steak per kilo for them and enjoy them so much more.

I'm still astounded by how cheap the links were... definitely the best value per gram of meat that I've found here in Montreal.

Don't ask why Gogo.

chips and eggs ! now you really have peaked my interest ! How are the eggs done? And more details on the chips too please mmmmm I have to try that combinationd030.gif

KNow what's inside a sausage?

hello...I have to eat these things... lol. no need for nightmares funki :(

And yeah, that chip and sausage thingy sounds interesting...and new to my ears as well. Sil, don't get me goin on gumbo (lol, btw @ gollum)...I only had it once at a restaurant and the taste was so good I have visions of it today.

gogo

Its best not to ask what is in them :(

Some things really are better not knowing! Ah Just being silly here Gogo. You have nothing to worry about.

We used to get some great sausages from VONS. They had wonderful combinations like turkey and apple. hmmmm.....yum.

Somewhere in the house I have a sausage stuffer. Perhaps I'll take a trip to the market to buy some casings.....

Oh, I almost forgot. We used to go to fairs put on by my grandparent's church when I was a kid. One thing that I will always remember is my mother getting a hot link sandwich. It was a wonderful spicy sausage, grilled to perfection. It was served on a crusty roll with potato salad(in the sandwich, not on the side!) :(

What are chips?

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/8904

Nice & thick cut, if you can fit more than 3-4 on a fork, they're not thick enough.

Eggs would be fried, but not too much, otherwise you can't dip the chips+bit of sausage in the yoke. I usually cook the chips (in the oven) with the sausages, that way if the sausages are herby (or the oil/fat that comes out of them is in anyway tasty), the chips soak up some of the taste (sometimes this can be a good thing).

Mmmmmmmmm.

:D

Edit: The only food I still have memories of are the Most Holy Kebabs from Mr Balti Fayre's takeaway in Birmingham.

They were uber.

Take one large (dinner plate-sized) naan bread (soft & freshly cooked, not old, dry & liable to fall to pieces). Place in it (down the short axis) a serving of Tikka Chicken, Donner meat (lamb) (probably), a sprinkling of salad (fine chopped lettuce, cuecumber & tomatoe), some chilli sauce, lemon sauce, Tikka chips & to round it off some mayo.

Wrap the naan up so you have a cylinder of spicy-meaty-goodness & then wrap with loving care in paper. Give to delivery man with a few onion bhajis & some ice cold cans of coke. Eat warm. Complain if they've not delivered in the timeframe they gave.

We used to order by phone & get it delivered. We were there for 2 years & they knew us by voice, our usual order & would ask if anyone was ill if we ordered less.

Even my wife (then gf) liked them.

Llama, that's a fantastic recipe...sausages in egg yolk....

I'd actually forgotten how much I used to love dipping sausages in hot fresh egg yolks off the breakfast table.

yum!

:o

gogo

p.s. Silearth, now this...is gumbo ^^

Gumbo.jpg

Llama, that's a fantastic recipe...sausages in egg yolk....

I'd actually forgotten how much I used to love dipping sausages in hot fresh egg yolks off the breakfast table.

yum!

gogo

p.s. Silearth, now this...is gumbo ^^

Gumbo.jpg

Why yes....yes it is....f080.gif

As a rule, I stay away from gumbo with seafood in it--nasty near-death experience concerning tainted shrimp gumbo. :)

But I see the lovely sausages swimming around in there.

I'm wondering... does gumbo usually arrive in decorated plates like this?

Or is this just a marketing thing?

Man, I can't stop looking at that pic

gogo