UW 2.28: Deadly Soaring Daemon/Open Wounds

Recently some very disturbing news was uncovered. Last Friday, I believe it was, our much loved D.a.r.k mate Katran fell victim to an unfortunate combination of events. In a bit of friendly chase between he and I, (I'm sorry Kat! lol) Katran used his soaring Daemon CA to escape my assault.... and died.

We were in an MP Closed HC hack'n'slash server and located on the Haven Isle with several other players when this happened.

He cast Soaring Daemon and flew away from me and the Haven Isle towards the neighboring land directly west of the Haven Isle. Upon his arrival to the nearby land he was struck with several enormous damage hits and, sadly, immediately died on the spot. You will see from the image below where he died.

SDsmall.jpg

After much talk about how this might have happened we developed a few ideas and Mini, with his Daemon, took it upon himself to experiment and try to discover the deadly equation. After many many near deaths Mini was able to come to the conclusion that it is in fact Open Wounds that was amplifying the damage caused by Soaring. When the Soaring timer reaches the end duration it is normal to be caused damage if your Daemon is not on land for her to stand on. Normally what occurs is that your Daemon will first experience damage "ticks" that are very very small in the amount of damage. The damage ticks will increase in amount of damage the longer you are away from land. This is usually quite manageable as I've seen/experienced. However if your Daemon has the Open Wounds modifier built into her equipment somewhere the damage ticks start off at an extremely high amount. Anywhere between 3000-7000 in damage per tick as I saw for myself while Mini was testing. This would be extremely deadly for near any Daemon. Death would come in a matter of seconds. In some cases during Mini's tests he was hit with several high damage ticks instantly. This is of course how Open Wounds can work. That is to say it can cause one with Open Wounds inflicted to have several damage ticks. Normally this would never be possible because you can not cause yourself damage. The Soaring Daemon penalty is a very unique circumstance to the game logic.

What worsens this fact is that some areas of land can appear to be a place to land on when in fact they are not. Making the scenario much much worse.

I bring this up not only because Katran fell to this but also because I know of two others in the past month or so that have died from this as well. Knuckles being one of them I think. The other I can't remember the name of I'm afraid.

Of course I hope this helps to prevent any future falls to this deadly mixture of Open Wounds and Soaring. The basics are this:

Open Wounds will magnify the damage caused to your Daemon when Soaring ends and you are not on land. Magnify to an extreme degree. So please be careful and be very sure that the land mass you plan to land on CAN in fact be landed on.

Cheers to you Katran for your lost character which sparked this investigation and to Mini for taking such great risks in order to uncover the details of this problem. :D

And just when I thought you forgot to post this Schot here it comes back. :D Oh well what can you do now I got a noter story to tell of how I lost my niob Deamon on isle. :)

Fix those electric trip wire thingys too :)

Whats that?

Oh he means this Thorium:

Shocked and Dropped

And just when I thought you forgot to post this Schot here it comes back. :agreed: Oh well what can you do now I got a noter story to tell of how I lost my niob Deamon on isle. :)

Oops Kat! Haha. Sorry bout that. Though I have no doubt your story will be much more interesting, lol. It's aaaall because of that trick you showed me. Yup! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

Hehe you are right Schot its the trick that I should you. After all I was running away from your dwarf so I dont get hit in the neck. Hate those neck bleeds. :agreed:

Fix those electric trip wire thingys too :)

Whats that?

Oh he means this Thorium:

Shocked and Dropped

Ah ok. Did this happend more than one time? :agreed:

There is a simple rule: Give me instructions how to reproduce it and I will see if I can do anything.

But there is a simple trick to bypass this. Just walk to the right wall and than down. Nothing will hit you. ^^

I wasn't paying attention to the trip wires since they rarely do more than tickle me. But it lagged hard on me and got whacked with about 20-30 of those things.

I can easily reproduce problem using my Soaring Daemon. Not sure if it's the same for other toons. All you need to do is go past trip wires and enter room to the south east of them. Just roam around for a bit and head back to trip wires. You should lag and then see a whole bunch of them. It was more of a one-time OMG, holy bleep, can't believe I'm dead moment, more than anything else.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as I doubt anyone visits that section of cave unless they're playing SP and going after the Element.

Thanks for the heads up on this. ;)

My main toon is a daemon (poison) but she uses soaring a lot.

Time to check her Open Wounds status I guess. :sob:

stubbs