And what a different world it is. A few days ago our router smoked and went to heaven, with us running to make phone calls to our provider asking/begging/pleading for help to aid us in figuring out what to do. After about an hour of trouble shooting it turns out that the poor router which was supplied by Bell was pooched and needed a replacement. Bell said they were going to send us one, and now, for a day...we've got emergency dialup going.

What a difference it makes to reading, surfing and posting. In fact...what a difference it makes to my entire experience of being on the net. I'd forgotten how slow a modem was...and while a fast one "gets" you to places...it's just not the same thing. Now when I click on View New Posts...I can almost hear the net wheezing away as it struggles to fling everything up on my screen. The process is painful. Very. This step back in speed has completely transformed my last hour or so of usual pms, emails, adminning, reading and posting into a tortuous, tiring process that has nettled me with a light sheen ofperspiration and heavy breathing. These grunts are not happy ones. In fact, I'm even wondering if I would have taken so well to the internet as much as I have if I hadn't had that speed. I've even become more wary now of which posts to click anywhere on the net. Whereas before, I could click through everything and get a fast read/feel of what was happening in a forum... now I find myself almost loathe to click on anything because of how much time it will take to load! :D

Come back broadband...

I miss you

:D

gogo

Some of us regularly use dial up to play sacred, guild wars, and everything on the net... its nice to see the other side see what we go through daily ... broadband is not an option everywhere ...

Exactly Mom

More than anything, this experience gave me so much feeling for dialup users everywhere. Just one day without it, and look....lol, a mess over here

gogo

hehe - slow? modern modems are not slow. Try a 300 baud acoustic coupler -- you actually placed the phone handset into the "modem" and it was all audible.

When 1200 baud came along it was a godsend; and 9600 was just a distant dream.

Kinda like the memory on PCs. The very first IBM PC had 64k memory, and only allowed expansion to 512k. You can't even show your screen with that anymore.

I played Sacred for what seems a long time on dial up and it was all I had! LOL ran slow as a slow thing and in parties was a nightmare but well I kind of stuck at it with my hope for a better connection which eventually I got, hope you get it sorted soon :D

Oh this certainly was an eye opener, lol. Dial up Doom. I can't imagine what playing Sacred would be like on dial up. :hugs: I think I'll give it a try though. I'm kinda curious, haha.

Temporarily sorted for the moment... Whew! Got a new router from Bell on its way. Bran spanking new 2Wire with lots of extra options, woohoo!

hehe when I hear the word Dial up for some reason I always thinks of when toret got a 33.6 modem way way way way w.. (you get the point right) it was a long time ago :)

and it was so much faster then a 28.8 moden :hugs:

It's funny...do you know when this thing started out, I ONLY found out when I tried to hook up my telephone wire to my comp....THAT I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A MODEM INSIDE IT?

*Do you need a modem sir?*

*Gosh no...that's so old school... who needs modems anyway*

*Are you sure sir...what if something happens..it's only 71.00 more... *

*No way...what are you trying to do ...rip me off? I"m a new ager dude...it's broad band all the way for me...no old school anything *

So said me then

gogo