I actually like being a new morning person.

I can't believe I'm making this post. For years and years, my schedule was always one that had me at work only at night, with the entire daytime to myself. I"ve had a massive change in scheduling lately, and shifts that went from six till two am in the morning with me getting home at two thirty and only getting into bed have changed to... nine to fives.

It took a long time for me to make the change actually. And with that change came a lot of stress as to whether or not I'd get a good night's sleep and what I would actually look like at nine in the morning. Morning sun and morning noises were alien to me. But...it didn't take long. To get myself used to the change, I had to actually stop using the computer at nine at night, just to wind down, while making "fake yawns" to convince myself that I was sleepy. Then the nightmare of trying to actually fall asleep at around eleven o'clock so that I would wake up at seven would give me heartburn to no end...with the words running in my mind... "must get more sleep...must get more sleep... "

I'm happy to say that all has turned out well, and in fact, more than well. I've found that...Kabling...yay I'm a morning person! And that I'm more productive in the morning with that great early day light. In fact...I've become so addicted to the energy and productivity in the morning that I've even found myself getting to bed earlier so that I can "profit" off this wave of energy after I wake up and drink that necessary cup of coffee.

One of the interesting things I've discovered is the group of people here on the forum... early forum birds. I used to only wake up at twelve to one o'clock in the afternoon...and so the "afternoon" shift of people here at DarkMatters was a group that I had even come to look forward to being online at the same time as me.

What's interesting is seeing a whole new group of names of people here so early. I like that. And it makes me wonder if, like me, you're all waking up...or checking out FDM from work... like a morning newspaper?

Course, you're all having to put up with extra posts by me, as my fingers dance away across the keyboards on a sunny weekday morning with the sounds of jackhammers in the background.

What more could one ask for.

:3lmao:

gogo

I've done both shifts and I have to say that mornings are better for me. I once did the 8:00 PM till 2:30 AM shift and it took me about a week to adjust--but adjust I did. And then I did have issues of a slightly....paranormal nature(But that is another post, and post I shall)

Give me the mornings.

Off topic but what exactly do you do, Gogo?

Most times I will sit at my monitor and do my forum checking around about 8am (just in time for my wife to boil the kettle........arrrrhhhhh coffee sabber.gif

Then if I'm lucky I get a couple of hours of gaming in before exercises and lunch.

I will then check back at about 1-30pm before heading off to work.

Then at about 8pm I'm back home and checking out the latest posts.

I then tend to hang around on the net, checking in and out of here till about midnight. :3lmao:

stubbs

I check posts as a morning-paper... I start work at around 8:30am (well arrive at work that is) and leave about 5:00pm. unless my wife has to work the early shift then I'm at work at around 7am and leave at 4pm. Luckily my wife's still on maternity leave, so I can sleep "late" every morning. But I have to admit that my snooze button takes a lot of strain every morning ! :3lmao: I normally go to bed at about 1am...

I actually wondered how you'd be online the same time as me, gogo. Question answered (well I guess it's now un-answered ?)

I've been a night owl all my life. Regardless of shift or hours. I could never get to bed before 11pm even if I had stayed up 48 hrs. But since my daughter, I have reluctantly morphed into a morning person. Though I still hate getting up before the sun :music:

I usually check in here real quick just before heading off to work.

I love hearing about everyone's morning routines... makes me feel more normal ^^ Sil, I used to work as an operator for Deaf Relay, and my shift was 5.30 till 2.00... the service was an emergency service paid for by the American Government, and so it had to remain open 24/7. I'm now working for Bell, and the shifts are so much more reasonable... 9-5 weekends off...ahhhhhhhhhh... It's taking some time to actually connect with my friends again, but it feels great having all these mornings to myself...and seeing everyone here on the forum at this time.

Knuckles, I'm sure you're going to get so used to mornings that if the opportunity ever came up to do night again... you may be surprised and not even think twice about saying no ^^

Stubbie, doing morning exercises sounds great. Maybe I'll drop an hour of being at the comp and check out the sights in montreal with the other early-bird joggers.

Scleameth, I'm curious... are guys allowed paternal leave there? Where I work, one of the bosses is getting five weeks paternal ^^

Erling, you know, before this job, lol, I'd even forgotten I had gotten up so early for school! :music:

Yarasa, lol... no change here for me, haven't you noticed.. I've always been like this :D

:D

gogo

Scleameth, I'm curious... are guys allowed paternal leave there? Where I work, one of the bosses is getting five weeks paternal ^^

gogo

Well, it's not really paternal leave - I had 3 days of "Family responsibility leave" and had to use up 2 days of annual leave to stay at home for the week. I wanted 2 weeks of leave, but we're so loaded with new development at the moment, that I agreed to only one week and then take another week at the end of April. Fortunately we have some public holidays coming up, and the workers here got all rowdy about 2 public holidays falling on the same day, so the one public holiday was moved in between our 2 long weekends. So the end results is that we have public holidays 28 April, 1 May and 2 May. Which leaves me with a 2 day working week, but since most of the staff here jumped ahead of me and applied for leave 29 and 30 April, I'll be taking leave from 5 May to 9 May !! :)

I think my country is one that has some of the most public holidays in the world - I think about 10 excluding Christmas and New year ! I think the UK only has 4 ?

But hey 5 weeks paternal leave ! I suppose those guys all return with a better golf handicap ? :D

I can be a morning person, really. But only when I'm not living in an urban city.

Dunno y but I just cannot manage a early ritual when I'm in a crowded city. :)

Originally I thought it was just me, but I learned that wasn't true during my time in Seattle (when I resided in the countryside). And I liked that healthy style, sadly I can't maintain it once I left.

Its a marvel to me as well.

Wow, Scleameth, maybe then the five weeks paternal is only a Quebec thing? Yeah , I was thinking about that golf handicap...watch him come back with a tan :)

Myles, I bet the reason why you can't get up so early is because living in a big city has you up so late at night! :D

Give up some of the nightlife and come on and worship the sun with us... eggs and bacon included!

:)

gogo

I just realised after my rant and rave above that I didn't actually answer gogo's original question about are you a morning person. :)

I am yes!.....I always have been. I like nothing more than to wake up at the crack of dawn. That way I know I have the most of the whole day in front of me.

The perfect day for me is to wake up at 6am and go to bed at midnight.

A full 18hours of enjoying every moment of what life throws my way. :)

.............except of coarse when nursing a Sunday morning hangover........thats when 6am is a dirty word :D

stubbs

Sometimes I think I'd like to have a nine to five job. My work schedule is always changing so my bodyclock is always messed up. This week from Monday I had three afternoon shifts (2pm to 10pm), then tomorrow I start with four morning shifts (6am to 2pm), then three night shifts (10pm to 6am) starting on Tuesday next week. After that I have five days off. That's nice. :) Then I have four afternoon shifts, one day off, three morning shifts, and four night shifts, and then five days off again. So that's seven of each shift and twelve days off every five week period. Not so bad, but I have to work three out of five weekends. When I have time off from work I like to get up early, so I'm probably a morning person. :D

In the US a new dad can take up to 12 weeks of family leave per US law. Your employer doesnt have to pay you for it (though most do have policies allowing you to use vacation/sick time to get paid during it) and once used you cant use it again until you have worked 12 months. During those 12 weeks they have to hold your job or a comparable one for you until you return.

My situation was a bit odd, but I had full custody of my daughter when she was 3 months old. I was able to take 2 months off from work to get everything organized. My employer wasn't required to pay me for any of the time off but they paid the whole 2 months. One of the reasons I've been with them a long time.

@gogo...I will never ever like mornings lol. Been a 'day' person for over 12 yrs, but I still hit the snooze button and hide in bed till the last possible moment. There's just something wrong with getting up before the sun does.

Well, my new found appreciation for the early morning wakeups has now taken a strange turn for the worse. Business hours have now been changed, and to accomodate a larger number of time zones, my work is now going to be open at ...*gulp* 7.30 in the morning! lol, well... the great part about all this morningness was, I think, the fact that I was actually getting up about three hours before I had to get to work...giving me about two and a half hours to be productive at home on the comp and even get a rare breakfast. With these new hours, I don't think I can see myself getting up at 5.30 in the morning... there's just something cold and lonely about that. 6.00 seems like an early morning, while 5.30 seems like last night. :) For me to get those early morning joys, I'm going to have to go to bed even earlier and get up even earlier. I'm hoping that they'll change my hours to a more reasonable start time...and you know...getting out at 3.30 in the afternoon... lol, who cares? All my friends finish at five... I'm going to be having all those strange afternoon hours with nothing to do except veg :yay:

Toret, I feel for you regarding the always shifting hours. A job I had a while back which was in food services had me switching from night to day...I could never get used to it and eating was a horror. I'm hoping you've somehow become used to it and have found a way to get through the shifts. I know for me it can take me about a week before my body adjusts, with me doing fake yawns to make me feel sleepier early in the night

:D

gogo