What's the weather like over there?

WE got leaves everywhere!!! the side walk in front of our place up and down the street is targetted by planted trees all along the street. This weather has dropped the last leaves and covered the area...that with some heavy fog make for some cool outings!

IMG_8831.jpgIMG_8834.jpg

Schmuddelwetter

From nether german 'smuddeln', doing something dirty. The ground is no yet really frozen, but muddy. It is doing a mix of rain and snow. Wet leavey are blown by heavy wind. You won't even send the dog out.

The wind and sun protected northside of our hill: snow covered.

Our Leonberger dogs don't need a raincoat like this poor dog. They have a double-coated fur and play outside, enjoying the weather when there is a pause in the storm.

Sabine-Sch%C3%B6nfeld_Fotolia-990x500.jp

• Haha 1

Grizzly: The side by side variant seemed to have same attachment points than the single-seater. Ordered broad double-wheels and a small snow-plow for the Yamaha Grizzly. So the twins can clean the barns and the house while the Unimog is doing the roads. The double wheels arrived first and are mounted. First test will be moving neighbour kids with sleges and skis uphill in hopefully sunny afternoon. We are 200m higher than the villages so we have enough snow.

Yamaha-Grizzly-Kodiak-V-Plow-Systems_102

• Like! 1
8 hours ago, chattius said:

Grizzly: The side by side variant seemed to have same attachment points than the single-seater. Ordered broad double-wheels and a small snow-plow for the Yamaha Grizzly. So the twins can clean the barns and the house while the Unimog is doing the roads. The double wheels arrived first and are mounted. First test will be moving neighbour kids with sleges and skis uphill in hopefully sunny afternoon. We are 200m higher than the villages so we have enough snow.

Yamaha-Grizzly-Kodiak-V-Plow-Systems_102

wouldnt have minded one of those when we had the house as a kid... my poor dad showeling (and then swidling me and my brother) into showeling it all...until the day he got the snow blower...

Poom... less than  minutes later...

:D

gogo

21 hours ago, gogoblender said:

wouldnt have minded one of those when we had the house as a kid... my poor dad showeling (and then swidling me and my brother) into showeling it all...until the day he got the snow blower...

Poom... less than  minutes later...

gogo

As a kid we moved a lot and rented appartments, They had most often a cleaning service. But when we paid my relatives for the house of grandpa all of a sudden we had to do repairs, snow blowing, road maintainance... all ourself.

And it isn't just the house - add 4 barns, horse stall, 3 kilometres private roads, ...

But I can use a shovel :)

In winter I have a shovel in my car and I had to use it a dozens times when wind blew snow to form road blocks.

• Respect! 1
On 11/30/2023 at 11:26 AM, chattius said:

As a kid we moved a lot and rented appartments, They had most often a cleaning service. But when we paid my relatives for the house of grandpa all of a sudden we had to do repairs, snow blowing, road maintainance... all ourself.

And it isn't just the house - add 4 barns, horse stall, 3 kilometres private roads, ...

But I can use a shovel :)

In winter I have a shovel in my car and I had to use it a dozens times when wind blew snow to form road blocks.

That's what its all about to me... maintenance.. the moment i see huge spaces like my families or friends...i instantly get to thinking about the cost or time involved in maintenance..

more , means more work

:lol:

gogo

15 hours ago, gogoblender said:

That's what its all about to me... maintenance.. the moment I see huge spaces like my families or friends...I instantly get to thinking about the cost or time involved in maintenance..

more , means more work

:lol:

gogo

Yes, I had to do money calculations too. But I had luck that in a tiny village people help each other. Having a big family is nice. Two of my cousin(e)s are carpenters. Instead of doing family meetings at restaurants we meet at a relative who has heavy work to do. And -luckily- neither my wife nor me are total amateurs in house maintainance. 

But honestly without kids, we would probably life in an appartment in a town. We wanted to grew them up in nature with animals. Both, my wife and me; liked it ourselfs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had storm rain with floodings in the valley. Today it is cloudy with some sun here and then. Control walk checking the apple trees showed no new damage from the storms. Even this old apple tree which was hit by lightning 11 years back survived. Last photo on the 36 analogue film so I could develope and scan.

Waited till nice shadows when clouds opened and usin a red filter on my Leica M5 with 2.0 50mm Summicron.

BlitzInApfelbaum .jpg

• Like! 1

Hot, Sunshine days, with cooling evening winds most days. this is the weather I prefer.

Yesterday we had a bit of an overcast day, and it helped cool down the intense heat slightly, but today was back to FULL SUNSHINE BABY!:gogo::sun:

• Appreciation 1
1 hour ago, Delta! said:

Hot, Sunshine days, with cooling evening winds most days. this is the weather I prefer.

Yesterday we had a bit of an overcast day, and it helped cool down the intense heat slightly, but today was back to FULL SUNSHINE BABY!:gogo::sun:

hahhaha, love hearing that! we have had three full days of blizzard here...this means lots of noise late at night with roving machines going up and down the street grinding up everything ( hopefully not us :oooo:) into enormous trucks to create giant mountains to melt away... ill trade one of mine for one of yours Theuns

:cool:

gogo

• zomgod! 1
15 hours ago, chattius said:

Freezing cold, opened flood dams of ponds two days ago and now the field is ice covered. Ice skating possible.

We're full in the middle of the blizzard here...when the sun comes out tomorrow morning Ill see if i can get some snaps. 

gogo

Sunshine and still winter breaks so ice field is full of kids. I help my wife at their doc praxis: new laws, new software. Luckily some parents stay and keep control - and learn to use the field kitchen for spaghetti, mulled wine and Kinderpunsch (for kids, wine replaced by fruit juice).

Unimog has a diesel generator, crane with floodlight attached. So there was action till 11pm.

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, chattius said:

Sunshine and still winter breaks so ice field is full of kids. I help my wife at their doc praxis: new laws, new software. Luckily some parents stay and keep control - and learn to use the field kitchen for spaghetti, mulled wine and Kinderpunsch (for kids, wine replaced by fruit juice).

Unimog has a diesel generator, crane with floodlight attached. So there was action till 11pm.

fruit juice and wine out on the ice fields.. deeelightful :D

and... we got the tail end of a big blizzard again, while outside our entire road got ambushed by a calvacade of snow removal... winter is serious business here:
IMG_9459.jpgIMG_9457.jpg

The cold weather is rolling in to Texas, including further south to my area on Monday. The forecast is for a windchill under zero degrees, well-below freezing temperatures and lots of winter precipitation, sleet, freezing rain, and snow! It should warm back up a bit by next weekend.

Snow and ice is rare (except for the panhandle and far north Texas) so that most folks don't know how to drive safely on ice and snow. :dntknw:

:Laie_68:

• Respect! 1
21 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

The cold weather is rolling in to Texas, including further south to my area on Monday. The forecast is for a windchill under zero degrees, well-below freezing temperatures and lots of winter precipitation, sleet, freezing rain, and snow! It should warm back up a bit by next weekend.

Snow and ice is rare (except for the panhandle and far north Texas) so that most folks don't know how to drive safely on ice and snow. :dntknw:

:Laie_68:

lol... so ... cool...that you can say that... snow and ice is rare... I can understand how that can present challenges... no snow tires? And its like ice on top of ice... very dangerous and more so because the conditions which bring it on are rare

:)

gogo

And...heres the weather report! Super snowy outside, lots of ice, slush and rivers..if yo u can stay in.. but i have an Ammamma aaaaaaaaaaaand...she deserves a warm Saturday afternoon lunch visit... so wrapped up well, and trudged up that hill in the Plateau Montreal where she lives... what a delightful afternoon... I LOVE the way her face looks when she sees me open up freshly-made melt in your mouth egg sandwiches and... lay a layer of crispy chips on top, and then... take her hands and have it press down to hear it crackle...her face bursts into the biggest smile and we love to giggle loudly together.. like were naughty kids doing bad stuff... shes an old school french pastry chef...so she know when were being naughty!

IMG_9537.jpg

IMG_9518.jpg

IMG_9519.jpg

• Appreciation 1
On 1/13/2024 at 11:54 PM, Hooyaah said:

Rommel, if there is any one thing better than grandmothers, I don't know it. :wub:

:heart:

Grandchildren. As a grandpa you can play with and teach them without the lot of forbidding and saying no you have to do as a parent. Grandma took us kids to long walks collecting plants and vegs.

Field for skating still frozen. 8cm snow since yesterday.

• Like! 1

We've hit into the winter doldrums... leftover ice from a meltoff after the snow storm, gotta wear crampons and caps, mits, and good shells to keep out the wind.. and above all... flee the Shade!

:oooo:

gogo

There will be no school in our district tomorrow. Depending on altitude thre can be freezing ice rain, very strong normal snowfall, or most probably to where I live: snow will partly melt on its way down hitting frozen ground. Heavy wet snow is a risk to trees or roofs so I exspectsome firefighter calls.

hessen_index.png

• Like! 1

Zomgod....SOOOOOOOOOOOO COOLD...!! I was having drinks with friends in the east part of city.. always lots of fun when yer starting the party yah yah.. few hours later...yeeks... frozen ears, frozen nose and frozen hair! The wind does that hear a lot... not that much like in chicago BUT...just close enough to it to chill you expertly. -25 then but... the heats have come back... Theuns if yer reading this.. we need that monthly supply of your good sun, friend!

IMG_9566.jpg

press link and see cold

:)

ogo

• Like! 1