What's the weather like over there?

Well it was -5°F with a wind chill in the -20's this morning around 4am...how do I know this? Because I had to go into work early...and............the truck wouldn't start...lucky me huh...I got a lot of luck, just most of it is bad :P

Took me a bit to find my battery charger in the shed as I got lazy this fall and just threw all the summer stuff in without organizing....so I got stuck out in the cold for about an hour trying to find the charger and then charge my battery.

My luck, it was on one of the coldest mornings in the last 10 years....though one good bit of news...I bought my truck 10 years ago...and it still had the original battery in it.....it definitely didn't owe me anything

You win. We were 2 degrees with wind chills in the -10's. Of course by the time I left the house, it was a balmy 7 degrees.

Send us some of that Balm, Lujate!

:P

gogo

The past week we have had temperature in the 30C everyday, and some nights it gets a bit windy, but temperature barely drops below 20C

Delta!

• Like! 1

We had snow first week this year, then rain while all still frozen, then a 105km/h storm, then a jump to 15C. The heavy snow sucked with rain made branches break. They fell into a rivelet which was then starting to flood.

Stupidly I still suffer from a dislocated shoulder. So all I can do is command my daughters to clean up the mess a bit. Our oldest will come at thursday with friends from university to help. She studies forest economy and she said the people should know how to use a chain saw.

I feel real stupid because I can't do much myself except doing a plan in which order the work has to be done.

So all you are missing is a Napoleon hat?

The weather around my parts is no fun ether - the new fresh snow started rapidly melting in the last two days. It looks like spring, with the added bonus of being unbelievably slippery during rush hours.

• Like! 1

I can do a calory-rich meal in my field kitchen and warm some hot applewine while commanding ;)

The problem is I can't lift my arm higher than the shoulder without weight and nothing at all with weight in the hands. Luckily what weight is gets better each day. I am at 10 kilogramm at the moment.

The big problem is: even if a branch is less than 20 pounds, it is long and this causes a momentum which exceeds the 20 pounds most of the time.

• Like! 1

So all you are missing is a Napoleon hat?

The weather around my parts is no fun ether - the new fresh snow started rapidly melting in the last two days. It looks like spring, with the added bonus of being unbelievably slippery during rush hours.

Mini rivers! lol sometimes the weather is confusing, landscape constantly changing, and from being frozen to having to maintain traction...

ahh, winter

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

I can do a calory-rich meal in my field kitchen and warm some hot applewine while commanding ;)

The problem is I can't lift my arm higher than the shoulder without weight and nothing at all with weight in the hands. Luckily what weight is gets better each day. I am at 10 kilogramm at the moment.

The big problem is: even if a branch is less than 20 pounds, it is long and this causes a momentum which exceeds the 20 pounds most of the time.

Hot apple wine in winter helps!

gogo

Yes, hot and spiced:

apple-wine with cinnamon, star-anise, cloves and a bit chilli

The applewine is selfmade at a nearby fruit press and destillery. If you bring more than 1000kg apples they clean their machinery and you get the juice and wine from your own fruits. I use to mix fruits from sorb-trees among the apples, more bitter but also more refreshing in summer.

• Like! 1

The applewine is selfmade at a nearby fruit press and destillery. If you bring more than 1000kg apples they clean their machinery and you get the juice and wine from your own fruits. I use to mix fruits from sorb-trees among the apples, more bitter but also more refreshing in summer.

How do you transport a literal ton of apples? Do you rent a truck? Or do it in multiple trips?

Hmm, I read my car license, the technical paper of my beast, the technical paper of my waggon and I think I am allowed to trail 4 tons ;)

Someone build a Lego modell of a newer modell of my Unimog. Unimog is short for Universelles Mobiles Gerät = universal mobile machine = swiss army knife on wheels. I bought the Lego Unimog as a X-Mas present for my oldest daughter to teach her the hydraulics when she was 14 and started to drive it. But our modell was recycled by our second for a school project for a roboter playing 'Vier gewinnt'/'Connect Four'.

I bought mine, the real Unimog, when the size of the german army was reduced after reunion. I got it second hand at an army sell out. It has some nice tools like: snow blow, crane to lift stuff or as a stearable bush cutter, trailer, hydraulic shovel, hydraulic wood cutter, trailer, ...

We live a bit outside, only reachable by a single road through a forest. So we need something to keep the road free.

image16160.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First thing I would like to say is..................

I got a snow blower...woohoo :P Because Tuesday we got this little thing called a blizzard coming. Right under where that arrows in the picture is, is where I live...in the red area. So 18-24 inches for me though they said that might increase.

BlizzradTime_zps36dc5364.png

And they are saying some locations could easily get 3 feet of snow :o I absolutely love big snow storms....I just hate having several big snow storms in a row. So hopefully this is the big one for the season. Really haven't got much so far this winter. Had one storm drop a few inches and the rest have been just coatings to a snow/rain mix with no accumulations.

• Like! 1

I love big snow storms too, and this looks like a doozy! I hope the power stays on, last one we had was coupled with some ice. Maybe we'll get some collateral from your snow storm coming our way here

gogo

Well while you guys are being buried under snow, we had a heat wave the past week... Not one day under 38C Wednesday and Thursday went up to 45 and 44 respectively. Everywhere people are walking with the least amount of clothing possible, some guys even just left the shirts at home completely.

Hope next week is a bit cooler, the kitchen gets way hotter than is comfortable...

Delta!

• Like! 1

Well while you guys are being buried under snow, we had a heat wave the past week... Not one day under 38C Wednesday and Thursday went up to 45 and 44 respectively. Everywhere people are walking with the least amount of clothing possible, some guys even just left the shirts at home completely.

Hope next week is a bit cooler, the kitchen gets way hotter than is comfortable...

Delta!

wow

u guys got serious air con in the kitchens?

gogo

We have a big wall fan that is suppose to cool the kitchen... But on extreme hot days... Well it doesn't have the same effect. It at least blows straight onto my little pastry section. Right next to the hot pass and salamander.?

Today started out a bit cloudy, but not getting my hopes up to high.

Delta!

The weather seems a bit on the cloudy side for today, very nice reprieve from the hell hot days that we had previously. It is still hot and humid, but at least the sun isn't adding to the equation today.

Delta!

• Like! 1

Delta!

wow

u guys got serious air con in the kitchens?

gogo

Gotta get my eyes checked...when I first looked at that I thought it said 'air corn'....I was at a loss for what that meant and figured it was another 'gogoism' until I re-read it :D

Air corn :lol:... yes.. gogoisms... an important part of this daily breakfast!

:chef:

gogo

The weather seems a bit on the cloudy side for today, very nice reprieve from the hell hot days that we had previously. It is still hot and humid, but at least the sun isn't adding to the equation today.

Delta!

Delta, just a fan? Have you ever recorded the temperature in that kitchen? Don't you just melt?

:blink:

gogo

Well, today in new york it looks like arendale. for those not in the know thats the mythical kingdom in the new frozen movie. yes, new york currently looks like an icy wasteland. I am not happy.

• Like! 1

Well, today in new york it looks like arendale. for those not in the know thats the mythical kingdom in the new frozen movie. yes, new york currently looks like an icy wasteland. I am not happy.

Do you live close by Veracious?

I have family close to Manhattan, and mom in Bethesda, and I know Knuckles and some other members from here are east as well.

a LOT of snow coming in.

gogo

something what we call "bavarian weather" blue sky and white clouds, 5-7°C...too warm.

I want to have a real winter (nothing like in NY) with snow and so on. my little son is three and its the right age to build snowmans, sled downhill, lick at icicles., stuff like that. ;) ...

• Like! 1

German Weather

My biological weather forecast for mid germany is cold and snow. We have a big swarm of mountain finches/ Bergfinken in our area. And by big I mean near a million. If they build this big swarms it is normally an indicator for cold weather approaching.

Must be we are on the surroundings of europe's biggest forest of european beeches and the birds are for the beech nuts as fat rich winter fodder.

Pictures from german wiki:

721px-Fringilla_montifringilla_Oulu_2012

800px-Bergfinken_Stmk_089.jpg

• Like! 1

Pretty brutal right now...winds are easily gusting to hurricane force and cannot see out my back door. Got a drift of around 6-8 feet on the north side of my house. According to the news, snow rates in the heavier bands are about 2-4 inches per hour. Probably got over a foot on the ground but hard to tell with the drifting/wind. Even got thunder snow :o

Looks like I'll be late for work...I can just imagine the antenna damage on towers from this storm...gonna be busy for a bit.

• Like! 1