What's the weather like over there?

This is just a rant... yah unusual eh, but these things totally freak me out... built quickly, probably put together by adding OP parts on top of a wobbly platform, you can see them shake, jiggle and seem like theyre gonna tip over... they reverse and circle on a dime , and they make walking on sidewalks a horribly tripidatious experience... fear them

IMG_6759.jpg

Actually these beasts are well designed. They need some distance from ground to chassis at high snow. They have a low centre of gravity, the cabin adds not much. The cabin must be high to watch over parking cars. They have to be narrow and having a low turning radius to fit on a walking way...

Being the mayor of our small village and member of the district disaster prevention I get lot of invitations for exhibitions of community vehicles. Speaking to the engineers is always very interesting. In small villages it is manpower (shovel) from house owners for the walking lanes and tractors or Unimogs hired from farmers for the roads.

I used my Unimog for this. After I bought a MB-Trac for forest work and it is finally refitted (roll cage, armoured hydraulics) I prefer it. Most addons for Unimog can be put on it too. I have three snow-plows for it: one which moves the snow to a side, a wedge-shaped to break through heavy snow moving snow to both sides and a third which can be added to the rear when having to move forward and backward for getting a curve.

At low snow a rotor sweeper. The strayer used for fertilizer can be filled with salt or small stones at black ice.

It could do this:

This sort of snow plow is also very useful for clearing roads from mud and stones after flooding. Mud 3- Snow 1

But its main job is to pull trunks.

• Like! 1
15 hours ago, chattius said:

Actually these beasts are well designed. They need some distance from ground to chassis at high snow. They have a low centre of gravity, the cabin adds not much. The cabin must be high to watch over parking cars. They have to be narrow and having a low turning radius to fit on a walking way...

Being the mayor of our small village and member of the district disaster prevention I get lot of invitations for exhibitions of community vehicles. Speaking to the engineers is always very interesting. In small villages it is manpower (shovel) from house owners for the walking lanes and tractors or Unimogs hired from farmers for the roads.

I used my Unimog for this. After I bought a MB-Trac for forest work and it is finally refitted (roll cage, armoured hydraulics) I prefer it. Most addons for Unimog can be put on it too. I have three snow-plows for it: one which moves the snow to a side, a wedge-shaped to break through heavy snow moving snow to both sides and a third which can be added to the rear when having to move forward and backward for getting a curve.

At low snow a rotor sweeper. The strayer used for fertilizer can be filled with salt or small stones at black ice.

It could do this:

This sort of snow plow is also very useful for clearing roads from mud and stones after flooding. Mud 3- Snow 1

But its main job is to pull trunks.

I like that you're backing them up Chattius...but these things TERRIFY ME ...lol once there was a mad driver just going crazy up and along the side walks, and with rivers of slush flowing down the street ( we live on a downward street on the mountain) it makes for death/dance/ballet to make sure I dont get run over 

:lol:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

soooooo, gonna pass on the early morning run today, and will just do nothing for a looooong morning :lol: Our heating is a part of our rent here in our apartment, and they crank it up off these almost 100 year old three foot tall cast iron radiators.  I usually leave my window open a crack to let in some cold air because its an overnight sweat bomb but last night was so cold that even a crack had to be shut because it was dropping the temperature too quickly! :lol: 

k, weather thats enough

IMG_6935.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Two cyclones survived, awaiting another heavy storm for the night. All this in just four days.

The morning was kinda funny. Was walking with the dogs to check for damage on the road to the village. When coming back to the breakfast table I asked: 'Who of you has to report a secret?' Puzzled looks, I said: 'Noone? Then the stork at the backdoor must be stealing fishes from the pond.'

Very sunny and clear in the morning, chains of cranes returning from the south and a few storks obviously.

• Like! 1
44 minutes ago, chattius said:

Two cyclones survived, awaiting another heavy storm for the night. All this in just four days.

The morning was kinda funny. Was walking with the dogs to check for damage on the road to the village. When coming back to the breakfast table I asked: 'Who of you has to report a secret?' Puzzled looks, I said: 'Noone? Then the stork at the backdoor must be stealing fishes from the pond.'

Very sunny and clear in the morning, chains of cranes returning from the south and a few storks obviously.

I'd read about your encounter with the bad weather conditions early up in the thread, we dont really get weather like that here just ...blizzards

:lol:

happy you've made it through Chattius, and I can envision those storks

:)

gogo

Our house, barns, stalls and forests had only a few twigs fallen. We cut and chop everything in summer which seems to be loose.

We had a meeting with district disaster management discussing what can be done better the next time. One strange death at the cyclones on a nearby bridge. A truck driver was found below a big autobahn valley bridge. The truck was on the savety lane on the side of the bridge. Bridges are wind traps. Seems he stopped there and he wanted to fix a truck tarpaulin which had loosened. While holding it a sudden raise in wind force must have hit the tarp and the driver, pushing him, but not the tarp, over the 5 feet bridge fence. Still early results but noone finds a better explanation.

auf-der-a45-wurde-ein-lkw-fahrer-von-ein

• zomgod! 1
6 hours ago, chattius said:

Our house, barns, stalls and forests had only a few twigs fallen. We cut and chop everything in summer which seems to be loose.

We had a meeting with district disaster management discussing what can be done better the next time. One strange death at the cyclones on a nearby bridge. A truck driver was found below a big autobahn valley bridge. The truck was on the savety lane on the side of the bridge. Bridges are wind traps. Seems he stopped there and he wanted to fix a truck tarpaulin which had loosened. While holding it a sudden raise in wind force must have hit the tarp and the driver, pushing him, but not the tarp, over the 5 feet bridge fence. Still early results but noone finds a better explanation.

auf-der-a45-wurde-ein-lkw-fahrer-von-ein

Thats a terrifying story.. we never know right ?

Wind is treacherous, just two days ago I was out running in the morning and found it particularly difficult to run, 46 km per hour winds...and up hill!

:eek: 

gogo

When we were at an army camp we were ordered for a search and rescue mission. A family was climbing a mountain even storm warnings were out. At the base of the mountain it were 50km/h on top of the cone shaped mountain 140+. They panicked because underpessure in the lungues. You can crawl against a storm, but you have to turn your head to the side when breathing. They were lying flat and hard breathing when we found them. They didn't even know the basics which were written on each warning sign.

• zomgod! 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

When we were at an army camp we were ordered for a search and rescue mission. A family was climbing a mountain even storm warnings were out. At the base of the mountain it were 50km/h on top of the cone shaped mountain 140+. They panicked because underpessure in the lungues. You can crawl against a storm, but you have to turn your head to the side when breathing. They were lying flat and hard breathing when we found them. They didn't even know the basics which were written on each warning sign.

Weather trumps everything Chattius!

speaking of which...this morning was nasty, -21 .. not fun to be out early in... oh man, waiting for the glorious summah!

:JC_hurrah:

gogo

I need the frost: frozen ground allows transport of trunks out of the forest without too much damaging the soil.

Also good at frost: we always slightly flood a field and allow it to freeze: skating and ice hockey.

Always summer would be boring

Seems like your wish became true lol it's unvelievable but we had a blizzard over here a couple minutes ago. One big thunder and from one moment to the other hell broke loose. Then, five minutes later, suddenly it was all over and now the whole landscape is just white. When I think that a couple days ago we had sunshine and how hot it was:lindor: It's all this wierd “Orkan“ over Germany I think.

Love your new signature chattius, reminds me of my favourite Einstein quote:D

• Like! 1

well.... after a few days of super sub zero weather like yesterday where it makes us feel like theres no end at minus 22 wind chill (not fun for running) 

IMG_7464.jpg

IMG_7468.jpg

more snow last few days, and running yesterday morning was treacherous, the trail looked like bombed over by ice blasts, the side walk beside it slicked over leaving only the road.

while weather like this is not the coldest, tricky conditions means nature can throw anything

IMG_7543.jpg

:eek:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Not to brag... but we have had wonderful weather for the summer... Sunshine and warm days.// I love it. have a fan on in the bedroom to keep you cool at night, and after the longer drive home, more sweating in the car, I shower when I get home or at least before I go to bed. I then prefer a cold shower to really cool me down and I sleep peacefully the whole night.

At work, the walk in fridges, freezer and Aircons have been working overtime and even started overheating and stopped working a few times... not ideal in kitchens.

Hope you all have great weather coming your way!

• Appreciation 1
17 hours ago, Delta! said:

Not to brag... but we have had wonderful weather for the summer... Sunshine and warm days.// I love it. have a fan on in the bedroom to keep you cool at night, and after the longer drive home, more sweating in the car, I shower when I get home or at least before I go to bed. I then prefer a cold shower to really cool me down and I sleep peacefully the whole night.

At work, the walk in fridges, freezer and Aircons have been working overtime and even started overheating and stopped working a few times... not ideal in kitchens.

Hope you all have great weather coming your way!

ahh, fridges broken in summer... I remember those wonderful years for me in resto business.. can relate! lol when it happens it always seem to be when in the middle of the busiest rush hour, full juice and with new empllyees, transfer , save this, move it...

I would love a tiny day of that great weather friend, we,re still in the minuses here and im still wearing layers before heading out to run in the morning

IMG_7813.jpg

:oooo:

gogo

• zomgod! 1
3 minutes ago, Lindor said:

Lol I can't even go outside without being melted:3lmao:

Oh my God lol Lindor where are you living? Do you have a small extra room I can hang out with during is called ridiculous loooong month hahahah