I love to read, but the only time I get to enjoy a book is during lunch or breaks at work. I enjoy sci-fi, fantasy, and the occasional mystery. Just would like to hear about what others are reading (it could even help me pick out my next read). I will put books up here that I've enjoyed/devoured and a little bit about them.

I'm currently reading Weaveworld by Clive Barker. It's an interesting book in a parallel, or mystical Earth, with Fey influences. It's pretty dark.

So far this year, amongst my Masters work, I've read a couple other books; I'll give some links to little reviews I wrote on my messageboard. They might direct you towards some reading:

.: The Eyre Affair - Jasper Ffjorde

.: The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch

.: The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson

.: Stardust - Neil Gaiman... not sure why I don't have a review for it. I thought I wrote one.

I also read a few in the Star Wars line that I didn't review;

.: I, Jedi - Michael A. Stackpool

.: Allegiance - Timothy Zahn

.: Splinter of the Mind's Eye - Alan Dean Foster

.: Darth Bane, Paths of Destruction - Drew Karpyshyn

... all of which were enjoyable for different reasons.

Thanks the one you have reviews for sound interesting.

As promised here are some books I have read and enjoyed.

These books are all part of a series, all by Jim Butcher.

The series is called "The Dresden Files"

The main character is Harry Dresden he is a private investigator in the Chicago area, he is also a wizard. It takes place in modern America with modern beliefs toward magic, elves, demons, etc. Magic also has a negative interaction with modern technology, an example would be when he tries to use his answering machine (one of the old tape models) he treats it as if it will blow up in his face because there is a chance that it might.

he gets work as a consultant with the Chicago police for hard to solve/unexplained cases.

These books I devoured very quickly(about a week each).

These book titles are listed in order ( the author has been signed to write at least 13 books in this series).

Storm Front

Fool Moon (yes, werewolves are involved but I won't say how :P )

Grave Peril

summer Knight

death Masks

Blood Rites

Dead beat

Proven Guilty

There are two more in the series but I haven't read them yet.

But I plan to as soon as Dawn finishes them (she reads faster than me).

The titles of these books are

White Night

Small Favor

I highly recommend these books, they are an wonderful blend of fantasy and mystery. Enjoy :P

More books that I have read to come.

Edited by Lord of the North
  • 3 months later...

I've been reading the Keys to the Kindom(by Garth Nix) series(which I've finished all the books the school library has)boo-hoo :sigh:

1. Mister Monday
  2. Grim Tuesday
  3. Drowned Wenesday
  4. Sir Thursday
  5. and Lady Friday

the next book is: Superior Saturday

and then the final book will be: Lord Sunday.

I love the series!

Just recently discovered the writer Ian MacDonald.

Read "Brasyl" and "River of Gods". Very different takes on quantum computing and AI issues. Highly recommend both.

It's been so long since I was able to sit down and read a book. I love fantasy and some sci-fi(Perhaps I'll even steal a couple ideas from this thread for new reading material.

The last book I started was the Children of Amrid. It is the first of a trilogy. I've read better, but I've also read worse.

I've been reading the Keys to the Kindom(by Garth Nix) series(which I've finished all the books the school library has)boo-hoo :tongue:
  1. Mister Monday
  2. Grim Tuesday
  3. Drowned Wenesday
  4. Sir Thursday
  5. and Lady Friday

the next book is: Superior Saturday

and then the final book will be: Lord Sunday.

I love the series!

Nix needs to hurry up and finish Lord Sunday, I already own all the others! :P

Also I've been working my way through The Sword Of Truth Series.

Currently 1/2 of the way through "The Stone of Tears" but I've taken a break because its pretty heavy reading

:)

~Doom

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished reading the first book in the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R. R. Martin. A game of Thrones. It wasn't until I was about half way through that I found out it was the first in a series of five books. I enjoyed the first one so much when I realized that during my lunch hour at work today I would finish it before my hour was over that I literally ran out to my car and drove to the local book store to buy the second book.

WikiFullASoIaFSizeEdit.JPG

IF you like fantasy, and don't mind reading huge books ...

THE WHEEL OF TIME, by the late Robert Jordan.

Seriously, there shouldn't be as much as a hint of doubt in your mind to read these books. Best ones I've ever read. Awesome series.

And I allso like the Sovereign Stone series by Weiss and Hickman.

2 best series I've read thusfar.

I have just finished reading the first book in the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R. R. Martin. A game of Thrones. It wasn't until I was about half way through that I found out it was the first in a series of five books. I enjoyed the first one so much when I realized that during my lunch hour at work today I would finish it before my hour was over that I literally ran out to my car and drove to the local book store to buy the second book.

WikiFullASoIaFSizeEdit.JPG

I LOVED that series. I was surprised I actually liked it ^^ Not much magic...but so, so cruel. Someone said it "felt" like a soap-opera...but I don't care. I quickly found the writing style compelling, the plotting kept me guessing, and the characters written with such depth...I never wanted to leave that world. I only read the first two or three books I think...don't remember now, I'd have to re-visit the series...and he's a long time in between books (which I like...a sign of craft IMO).

I think the only other series out there that held me this rapt was the Sword of Sorrow series by Tadd Williams.

:)

gogo

My last book was "Disgrace" by J. M. Coetzee. A master piece. A dark story truly, but not depressing in any degree.

Working on Stephen King's "Lisey's story" atm. :hugs: