What does 'Ding' mean to you?

To Ding or not to Ding  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you 'Ding' ?

• I ding at every level, any level
    • I only ding at certain times (i.e. making gold level)
    • I only ding to let teammates know I want to assign points
    • What's a ding?
    • I never ding
    • Other

I got into a conversation earlier today about the use of term 'Ding' in-game. It seems most use it to tell everyone they leveled. But when I first heard of this it was used much differently. It was to alert other teammates that they had gained a level and wanted to stop for a few moments to assign skill/attribute points. This way you knew why they stopped and they would only be a few secs while you waited for them.

While I don't mind people dinging when they gain a level I usually reserve my 'congratz' for certain achievements. Gaining access to another difficulty (I.e. reaching level 60 ) or if it is now your highest level toon etc.

Just wondering what it means to you and how you use it, if at all :)

Edit: added 'I never ding' to poll

Edited by Knuckles

Same as gogo, everyone would ding when they leveled. Though it was almost never anything as mundane as 'ding' I myself have used "heehaw, quack, boink, and several others in a quest for something original and fun.

As I recall, mom, funki and ari used pretty interesting level up noises as well.

Same as gogo, everyone would ding when they leveled. Though it was almost never anything as mundane as 'ding' I myself have used "heehaw, quack, boink, and several others in a quest for something original and fun.

As I recall, mom, funki and ari used pretty interesting level up noises as well.

lol....I used to use 'Schaaaawiiiiing' :)

lets see ari had squeak, one of us quacked, another moo'd I think ... gods its been so long .... Katran might remember them all *g*

I picked it up from Sacred

Everyone usually dings when they make a new level.

:D

gogo

I never "ding" but for me it's coming from the level up sound of Sacred 1, every level up = ding :D Most of the time at high level in niob, before that, level up is to easy to mention the ding :)

I rarely *ding* unless I am playing with others that do so regularly.

Otherwise, I'd reserve it for special accomplishments.

I remember when I first came across the Sacred ritual of the ding. I've only experienced it in Sacred 1 and the impression I had was that it was a special accomplishment. I think it was more or less a Plat/Niob thing at the start because of the extremely long grinding sessions between levels. Simply gaining a single level was a tremendous accomplishment and worthy of special notice with a lil ding. I still hold to that impression and have yet to ding in Sacred 2. Can't wait till I do cause that'll mean I've made it to Plat. :)

lets see ari had squeak, one of us quacked, another moo'd I think ... gods its been so long .... Katran might remember them all *g*

Lol...that's right! It was always like playing on Old Macdonalds farm.

I usually only ding if others are doing it regularly during the game.

And if we are thinking of making different dings ..........I bags "burp" :P

heh, I remember a few years back, there was this guy who broke down and started yelling out to everyone to stop saying ding.

A few seconds later on my next levelup I say out loud...

Dingaling

:P

gogo

I usually only ding if others are doing it regularly during the game.

And if we are thinking of making different dings ..........I bags "burp" :P

I get tha GONG!

heh, I remember a few years back, there was this guy who broke down and started yelling out to everyone to stop saying ding.

A few seconds later on my next levelup I say out loud...

Dingaling

:)

gogo

I think I actually remember that, haha.

Do you say ding every time you fart?

I say long live the culture and the civilized manners :)

That is not applicable for level ups though :(

However, I usually say ding to let others know that I've gained a level when level ups start go get tough and take longer. Let's say from level 50 upwards :)

Edited by Dobri

LoL, I wasn't directing that at you personally Dobri.

Hmm... but yes, I suppose it is not applicable for level ups.

I guess nobody here has ever played "Door Knob"?

Lol...that's right! It was always like playing on Old Macdonalds farm.

nah not old macdonalds farm, more like orwell's animal farm or one flew over the coocoo's nest :(

LoL, I wasn't directing that at you personally Dobri.

Hmm... but yes, I suppose it is not applicable for level ups.

I guess nobody here has ever played "Door Knob"?

I was just teasing here. When we were little, when one of us did something like this (burping, farting, the works), we used to say something close to Long live the culture and the good manners - and we always had a good laugh.

Sorry, I should've explained :) And don't worry... I'm a nice person. I don't get easily offended. I like to joke a lot though :(

And what's a "door knob"? We may all have played it, but it may just have a different name in the other countries :)

Edited by Dobri