Hi Everyone new on the board

Dang that bot is persistent. Sure hope it really is a bot and not some poor fellah just tryin to have a friendly convo. :D Sorry about your post in that other topic loco. I moved yours, Spunky's and the bot's into this topic but because of time stamps all three kinda got scattered into this topic. Ugh... I hope that time stamp problem goes away in the forum upgrade.

This is turning out to be very interesting though. Our lil bot friend has been busy on other sites and making quite the impression, heh. Bots now-a-days aren't completely bot. They're Cy-bots! People are hired to make registrations to sites in order to bypass tricky questions and once the registration is complete the bots use the login info to do the rest. You guys will notice that there's one distinct characteristic that is missing from this bot. Ads. There aren't any links leading to products for sale. The strategy of this kind of bot is to plant topics and posts. After some time the bot will return and change it's sig into advertising links. It's a smart strategy and the latest in a long list of dirty tricks they use to spam ads.

What gets me with this bot is that it's almost completely convincing. Check out these posts our lil autobot made on another site:

levis888 charms the community at the Redcloud forum

Oh this one is even better. Same forum with levis the friendly neighbourhood bot chatting with a bot buddy of his. Notice the mutation in their sigs, lol.

Funny Story

These bots are getting good huh.

P.s.

I had blocked the bot but not properly. I stomped on him real good now so all good. ^^

You should leave the bots, but reduce their rights to only post in 1 topic(or subforum or something) somewhere :( so we can have weird bot conversations :D

Edited by Arperum

Why have these lousy "who care" sigs anyway, isn't it better to have nothing in his sig and later add in the links? as it's really easy to spot a bot when his sig is like that.

Well, it's easy now to spot them, because we've all been taught what to look for. When sleepers first started appearing for the first time on the SIF noone was up to what was going on except a few peeps who do extensive work with forums.

Now that their cover is blown, they'll move on to more clever things

Like infiltrating real life

hmmm ...

Mom you're a bot!

:D

gogo

• 1 month later...

How dare you! No web for two weeks, Gogo! (just kidding...)

Ummm gogo hasn't a capital letter. Have you googled him? Maybe he's the ultimate bot
Thats a good question. Plus if you take a look at his post count there is something botish like there.

But the answer is no gogo is not a bot he is a human bot hybrid.

Or maybe a new type, a "bottivorous bot" ? But then again, what do I know, I'm not into BOTanics.

The title of "Leaden Juggernaut" is a 99% sure sign of bots?

<---(looks at her own title) :) I'm a bot! Help me!

What should I do now, please please help...! :panic:

Call Maintenance?

Click the "Log Out" button?

Or do I have to click the "Back" button until I've undone my registration?

:) hey don't worry. You get different names and stars as you make new posts. So if you don't want to be compared with the bot all you have to do is to write a bit :D
This is a post to try and get to know some of the people that have been here for a while.I would like to get to know some of you. Being a new member theirs a lot of post to go through and read.I mostly want to get a good conversation going with all of you.So my post saying hi.Hope to share with you here a lot. Thanks.

Oh...... but he sounds so cute. 5_seconds_hug_by_bad_blood.gif

Cant I take him home?

*appears back in topic*

At least I knew Barri, because the Netherlands exists exclusively of bots on the interwebs.:4rofl:

*dives for cover*

Edited by Arperum
So if you don't want to be compared with the bot all you have to do is to write a bit

Thanks.

I'll create a new thread in a minute. Don't worry, I won't spam, I'll probably post once/week, several posts at a time.

I liked the "Gandalf" comic on page 1, too. That put the "F" in Gandalf like nothing else. :-)

Edit: My intro is online... "not a beauty." Can an admin read it and check if it's ok with the rules... I'm most unsure about links to the official Sacred forum.

Edit #2: Thanks to the one who gave me a different element than lead... I would prefer something less radioactive, but (sigh) I guess I'm asking for too much, being a new forum user.

One more important suggestion about bots: can the forum software scan signature updates for links? One could deny the sig update then, if it contains a commercial link. While that wouldn't eliminate the bot, it would defeat its purpose completely, while (as of now) at least one user / admin gets to read its message.

Edit #3 (*sigh*): I was so stupid... the answer to the "element titles" was in Munera's post (#32) already. "Different names" mean Leaden Juggernaut (1 to 4 posts), Polonium Wizard (5 to 9), etc. I was the one who caused the element change. Schot wrote it too, but only now did I get the message. :ike:

NamelessBeast Over.

Edited by NamelessBeast