What's the weather like over there?

Vultures

My daughter did some flying training in a sailplane at a local flying club to train for her license. I thought she was joking when she said that she shared termic upwinds with something looking like vultures. But the local TV news reported the same: 30 griffon vultures using a high pressure zone and its termics to fly this much to the north starting in probably spain.

300px-Gyps_fulvus_01_by_Line1.jpg

The area they normally live is green, far away from germany.

220px-Gyps_fulvus_dis.PNG

Heat wave:

Monday 32 Celcius in shadows, Tuesday 35, ...

Global warming is turning our place into a desert it seems. Only 15% of the normal rain and now dry winds at this heat and the vultures....

I would love to see birds like that in our air using thermals :bounce:

Beautifully bouncy weather here today folks, looks like another perfect outy day for the fans!

:gogo:

gogo

Very hot today. Must be high 20's with no clouds.

Managed to get the last of the old shrubs up and did a lot of other digging in my parents garden.

5 hours put in this morning, and there's still plenty to do.............boy did I underestimate this job *sigh* !

I'm glad to be back home and I'm going to give Spellforce a good going now.........well, I'll grab a bite to eat first.

Steve. :)

Sunny as hell here today.

And very hot too. Perhaps 25 celcius.

I'm sweating like crazy, and I haven't even been out yet.

I have several hornets nests on my balcony, so sitting in the sun is out of the question.

Anyway, I find lying around in the sun awfully boring, so it probably won't happen until I'm as pale as an arctic ghost with the flu.

I have several hornets nests on my balcony, so sitting in the sun is out of the question.

yikes!

I've never seen one in real life before, but I have read so much about those horrors. How will you get rid of them?

*shudder*

Again, beautifully sunny, and blue... hey, weekend almost guys!

:bounce:

gogo

Quite cold earlier at 6 degs celsius instead of the usual mid 10s. It would be like this for the next couple of days because of a cold front.

Edited by cyclops

yikes!

I've never seen one in real life before, but I have read so much about those horrors. How will you get rid of them?

*shudder*

Again, beautifully sunny, and blue... hey, weekend almost guys!

:bounce:

gogo

Just go down to your local hardware store (or equivalent) and get some hornet/wasp spray. Just make sure you thoroughly douse the nest. Most sprays can shoot 15-20 feet so you don't need to get close to them. Run into them all the time at work. They love to build nests in the bigger pipes/masts you find at tower sites. Always have 2-3 cans of the stuff in my truck.

Hrm.. weather here is so awesome, I thought I'd post about it. :cow_white: 1 day of rain and 5.5 days of sunshine this week. 1/2 day of cloud the odd day was awesome, I could go outside without 2" of sunscreen slathered on my exposed bits. :P

Dissapointing.............

We've had heavy rain the last few days, with some really heavy showers. Driving in that ain't fun.

Anyway, today was forecast as dry, but guess what............yep, it's raining ! :angry:

Oh well, I'm still going to walk into town, as much for excersize as anything.

Have a good one y'all.

Steve. :wizard:

Hornets are protected by law here. So we at firefighters are often called to move them,not kill them. In my experience hornets are way nicer than wasps. They feed their breed mainly with insects and are not searching for sugar on food or lemonades. So its way moire probably that a wasp willsting you than a hornet. German hornets have a tolerance zone around their nest of around 2 metres. So if you walk slowly nothing will happen. It's allways strange to watch a hornet-nest fight a nearby wasp-nest. The hornets build a queue at the wasp entrance and every hornets picks an appearing wasp and flies it to the nest to feed the breed.

I don't know your hornet species, but here hornet nests are not this close together. Sure it are hornets and not a type of bigger wasps with only 20-30 wasps a nest?

About the weather: Way to less rain here, Mainly sunny. Will do some canoo-ing on the Lahn river today.with family: paddling to Weilburg,passing the town underground in germanies only river tunnel,then visiting the animal park there: re-breeds of Auer-ox and died out wild-horses, also Wisents (european bisons), wild cats, lynx, fish otters, ...

It is still cold(but sunny) in South Africa. Since I lost so much weight and my blubber layer is all gone, I keep a stack of blankets at hand all the time.

Delta!

Will do some canoo-ing on the Lahn river today.with family: paddling to Weilburg,passing the town underground in germanies only river tunnel,then visiting the animal park there: re-breeds of Auer-ox and died out wild-horses, also Wisents (european bisons), wild cats, lynx, fish otters, ...

Hornets and wasps fighting each other.. I'm going to have to again dig up that amazing post you wrote about all the wars they have.

Canoing! I did a bit when I was a kid with scouts, do you guys get a few then go down in a group?

It is still cold(but sunny) in South Africa. Since I lost so much weight and my blubber layer is all gone, I keep a stack of blankets at hand all the time.

Delta!

Was that because of exercise Theuns? Here, *passes a Hudson's Bay Blanket* A Canadian specialty, to keep you warm!

hudsons-bay-blanket.jpg

:)

gogo

Delta!

Was that because of exercise Theuns? Here, *passes a Hudson's Bay Blanket* A Canadian specialty, to keep you warm!

hudsons-bay-blanket.jpg

:)

gogo

No, it was because of a heartbreak. Even if it did last for only 3 weeks, it still hurt like hell when it was over.(that was last year November) so my appetite was gone, and I basically stopped eating, feeling to unwanted, and then guilt ridden because it was stuff that I couldn't share with my parents/sisters/family, and work, the odd day that I would be in the mood to eat AND have an appetite, something would happen and make me lose it again. But I've wanted to lose weight for some time already, and I now fit into jeans that I couldn't fit into 7years ago. so it is all good, although my family is still mad at me. :Just_Cuz_21: crazy?

thanx for the blanket! that is why I lurve darkmatters! it makes me feel all warm, fuzzy and welcome! :hugs:

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

Canooing

A friend lives at a river lock. In old times the river was used for transport ore and coal and the locks were maintained by people who had a house direct at the lock. Now they are not used anymore and my friend lives in one of these houses. He has some boats (canoos, cayaks, infaltable boat with engine, ...). We do normally a trip with 2-4 families together and swap who has to drive the transport carrier for the boats to Weilburg. Paddling against the stream is a bit too had for kids. So we just go river down, put the boats on the carrier and get the bicýcles from the carrier to an animal park, a cave or a castle and return home on bicycles.

The weather is less sunny today, but still no rain. The early potatoes in garden are ripe now. But each plant has only 3 small potatoes on them, smaller than the potato used to seed the plant. So no early potatoes for potatoe salad this year. Luckily we have a clay cellar and the late autumn potatoes from last year are still usable. Cherries are ripe and we did a cherry cake yesterday.

It is back to cold and overcast in usual sunny South Africa. Hope the big bright ball of burning gas will show her pretty face later! :)

Delta!

Here in New England, it's been beautiful clear skies the past week or so. Sure, some days can get hot, but hey! It's summer :sun: Today was alot cooler though, around 80 degrees Fahrenheit :D

clear skies, hot weather :blink: (I like cloudy days, preferably accompanied by rain and with a temperate temperature). good part about going to work before the sun comes up, you're done before it gets too hot :evil:

Edited by Rndm

No, it was because of a heartbreak. Even if it did last for only 3 weeks, it still hurt like hell when it was over.(that was last year November) so my appetite was gone, and I basically stopped eating, feeling to unwanted, and then guilt ridden because it was stuff that I couldn't share with my parents/sisters/family, and work, the odd day that I would be in the mood to eat AND have an appetite, something would happen and make me lose it again. But I've wanted to lose weight for some time already, and I now fit into jeans that I couldn't fit into 7years ago. so it is all good, although my family is still mad at me. :Just_Cuz_21: crazy?

thanx for the blanket! that is why I lurve darkmatters! it makes me feel all warm, fuzzy and welcome! :hugs:

Delta!

A heart break's a heart break, no matter how long they are, it only means something if it hurts. I'm glad you loved the blanket, those are famous inCanada btw... did you know that they used to be used as trade items? The more lines on a blanket, the more valuable they were worth for trading...this was in the old pioneer Canada days ^^

And, glorious to see everyone here in form, intact and in shape? :P

Sunny days are here, glorious but hot, remember these days!

gogo

... I'm glad you loved the blanket, those are famous inCanada btw... did you know that they used to be used as trade items? The more lines on a blanket, the more valuable they were worth for trading...this was in the old pioneer Canada days ^^

And, glorious to see everyone here in form, intact and in shape? :P

Sunny days are here, glorious but hot, remember these days!

gogo

WOW...I can't, Imagine... Living somewhere where... it is so freaking cold.... you can use blankets... to trade with. :twitch:

Makes our winters sound like it is nothing, "aaag just a little breeze and some clouds, we will survive, nothing to shiver about!"

It is back to cold (1°C minimum and 14° maximum, with sunshine) here. It is so hard to get out off bed in the morning :yawn:

Delta!

Wish it was cold here....next few days will be near 100 degrees F with 90+% humidity and dew points in the 70's :Just_Cuz_21:

Of course the next few days I'll be on 3 rooftops on Wednesday and 100 feet up a tower Thursday. Probably be a 6-7 gatorade day. I seriously got to figure out when I angered the karma gods and how to make amends :whistle:

Around 70 degrees today in western Norway.

Been alot of sunny days lately, but today it's rather overcast and foggy in the distance.

I feel fit for fight. I work best in 60-70 degrees, no doubt.

Wish it was cold here....next few days will be near 100 degrees F with 90+% humidity and dew points in the 70's :Just_Cuz_21:

Of course the next few days I'll be on 3 rooftops on Wednesday and 100 feet up a tower Thursday. Probably be a 6-7 gatorade day. I seriously got to figure out when I angered the karma gods and how to make amends :whistle:

yeeks!

lol, see if you can order a gatorade camelpack!

Around 70 degrees today in western Norway.

Been alot of sunny days lately, but today it's rather overcast and foggy in the distance.

I feel fit for fight. I work best in 60-70 degrees, no doubt.

I wouldn't mind that...then again, our summer's so short here, I'm trying to train myself to enjoy the hot weather a little better to appreciate it.

Folks, it's gonna be a scorcher today here

:sun:

gogo

today is bearable in SA, I just wore jeans and a short sleeve shirt while outside, but it gets chilly so fast, the sun hasn't even set and I'm shivering.

Off to work, it is pretty quiet at the restaurant now, only a few tables every night.

Delta!

It's almost 1 AM. I have the central air conditioner, a portable air conditioner (which is also a dehumidifier) and a fan all running. It's still 24.5 degrees C (76 degrees F) in my apartment...

The afternoon is going to be worse: 37 degrees C (98.6 degrees F). With the humidity, it's going to feel like 48 degrees C (118.4 degrees F).

Canada isn't supposed to be this hot! Doesn't the sun know we're going to melt!