Guild Wars 2 Trailer Premiere!

It's been posted on their official Facebook page : The next Beta stage will be in late March.

EDIT : And here's an article about the Traits System and the Attributes : LINK

The Traits System looks awesome!

EDIT 2 : Here's a video about different graphic settings :

Max

Edited by Flooxim

zomgod, lol, that was so much fun to watch...it's almost like I crave getting addicted again! I''m so surprised there's that much focus really squeezing good graphics out of this game, I dont remember Guild Wars original having so much to offer in this domain, but looking forward to this.

:)

gogo

Here's a quick video showing the interface :

I didn't notice until today that there is a tab where you can switch between your combat suit and your in-town suit, which looks great.

Max

One of my favorite parts of GW was how we could completely break down all the components of GUI and place them anywhere we wish on screen to create our own dashboard! Are we going to be able to do this in GW2, or will it be locked like in Sacred?

gogo

hmmm - I don't know, but I've never come across anything that mentions it won't be possible. perhaps via a mod or something? But I imagine that the skills bar will be kinda locked in place like Sacred, since it's kinda mapped to keys 1-0 :unsure:

But here's a nice link with a ton of info on the game:

Guild Wars 2 - Mass info for the uninitiated

Here's a video from the beta I only found today.

It's a walkthrough of one one the "puzzle" areas that can be found in the game :

Max

Here's an article about The Evolution of Narrative in Personal Story : LINK

Here's an aricle about microtransactions : LINK

I can't wait to read more about them. From what I read on the Unofficial forum, users thought the system made a lot of sense.

Max

Great Article Max... the micro transactions explanation is a exciting. I'd forgotten that something new like this was going to come about, and I especially like it that it's mostly for vanity items, skins, and some functionalities BIG advantage over Diablo 3 this me thinks. Here's a copy of that article:

In this month's closed beta event, we'll do some early testing of the Guild Wars 2 microtransactions system. Our microtransaction content isn't nailed down yet, but we have a good framework in place to support it. So, I'd like to take a moment to explain our goals and the system we have developed to meet them.

MoMikeOBrien-401x600.jpg

We believe in microtransactions because they fund ongoing development of the game in a very straightforward and open way. You, the customer, get to decide how much money you spend on the game after launch, based on how compelling it is to you. You get a complete and playable game no matter what, but we think we can provide additional content and services that you'd be happy to pay for. And when you pay for them, you help fund our support of Guild Wars 2 in a way that benefits all players of the game.

Here's our philosophy on microtransactions: We think players should have the opportunity to spend money on items that provide visual distinction and offer more ways to express themselves. They should also be able to spend money on account services and on time-saving convenience items. But it's never OK for players to buy a game and not be able to enjoy what they paid for without additional purchases, and it's never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time.

I know none of this is new; the original Guild Wars also had microtransactions. But microtransactions were an afterthought in Guild Wars, whereas with Guild Wars 2, we had an opportunity to integrate the microtransaction system from the ground up, giving players more options and more convenience without sacrificing our design principles. So, here's what we're doing differently this time.

In Guild Wars 2 we have three currencies: gold, karma, and gems. Gold is the common in-game currency. Karma, which players earn in-game but cannot trade, is used for unique rewards. And gems are the currency that's bought and used to purchase microtransactions.

We have a new player-driven market that allows players to trade gold for gems and gems for gold. If you want something, whether it's an in-game item or a microtransaction, you ultimately have two ways to get it: you can play to earn gold or you can use money to buy gems. We think that's important, because it lets more players participate on a level playing field, whether they use their free time or their disposable income to do it.

MMO veterans will note the similarities of our system to EVE Online's PLEX system. As in that case, our system takes gold trading out of the hands of real-money trading (RMT) companies and puts it directly in the hands of players.

We think that's a great thing.

"… it's never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time."

From a player's perspective, RMT companies have all the wrong motivations: the more money they make from selling gold, the more they spam ads in the game, run bot networks to farm gold, and hack accounts to loot them for gold. Conversely, under our system, players have all the right motivations. If a player buys gold from another player, he gets the gold he wants, the selling player gets gems she can use for microtransactions, and ArenaNet generates revenue from the sale of gems that we can use to keep supporting and updating the game. Everyone wins.

We also like the tradability of gems and gold because it makes the rest of the game's economy more compelling. We'll have a player-to-player Trading Post in the game—it's like an auction house but better—which we'll discuss in an upcoming blog post. Because gems can be traded for gold and vice versa, we don't need two different trading systems, one for gold and one for gems. In Guild Wars 2, everything on the Trading Post is traded for gold, but of course, somebody who wants to earn gems can just sell items for gold, and then convert the gold to gems.

We have always taken our responsibility to players seriously with the original Guild Wars, and we will continue to do so with Guild Wars 2. We believe the foundation I've described here is the right foundation for us to build upon, and we look forward to sharing more details with you in the future as we nail down our microtransaction content.

-Mike O'Brien

gogo

That was what I was worried about too....as long as it's just cosmetic stuff I have no real issue....I hate when you feel forced to buy extras just to be able to 'keep up' with everyone else...

Certainly great news - I just hope there are more than 2 character slots available on initial purchase. But playing LOTRO just makes me realize that, although the game is free to download, there is a lot more game to be played when you actually pay a subscription and spend dosh on micro transactions. But as soon as GW2 is released, I'm moving LOTRO to the side like a broccoli.

Being able to trade gold for gems sounds great! You'd just need to play a little longer to get enough gold to trade and buy your cosmetic goodies!

I finally found a video showing something we didn't see yet, here it is :

There is a lot of lag in the video, mostly caused by the number of players and all the things that happen at the same time, enjoy :

Max

great video! I just wish the guy would tilt his camera angle 5degrees up!! I caught myself a few times moving the mouse around to try and tilt it myself! But a nice watch non the less, that boss surely drops some huge Area of Effect circles!

Here's a walkthrough of the Dungeon called Ascalon Catacombs.

Contains MAJOR SPOILERS of course, so I stopped halfway thourgh :

And here's a little table showing overall game performance with some users of the latest beta. It's most likely going to be optimized but I wanted to share it with everyone here :

EDIT : I tried really hard to copy/paste a table from another forum, but I couldn't make it display like there, so here's the link to the topic : LINK

Max

heh, couldn't help myself, had to peek in, but clicked off a quarter of the way...it's gonna be loads of fun exploring this with everyone together

gogo

Just hope the gfx will have considerable improved frame rates in the release version! and it seems that there are some hurdles to be crossed with ATI cards... hope I'm not sounding like a doom prophet here... but it's really important to me to be able to play this game!! :sweating:

Thanks a lot for adding the image Knuckles. :)

And here's some new info saying the game will be in part region-locked (I made the important parts in bold) :

Is my copy of Guild Wars 2 tied to my region?

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

Oh good, it's great confirmation that all of us can play together...finally, and with so many of us all together on at same time... exciting!

gogo

Just to further clarify that point:

"While the player may visit other servers at no cost, changing their home server will have an associated fee."

from http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World

"Players which have recently changed their home server are restricted from World vs World combat for a limited time;"

from http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

• 2 weeks later...