New Time Zone Display at DarkMatters

I suppose this thread is probably aimed mostly at Schot.

In the Board Settings section of the My Controls menu, there is an option for "Your base time zone", which gives your current time.

I was wondering if there was a way you could grab this variable/database call and display it in the user info on posts? This would make things handy for planning play times?

Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a great idea dreeft and there is actually. I'll see about getting that function going. I think it could be very helpful. :)

P.s.

Sorry it took so long to respond! Been a crazy month or 2. :(

Hope you guys like it! :blink:

As dreeft pointed out you can adjust your time by going to the link near the top of the forum; My Controls-->Board Settings . On that page you can change "Your base time zone". If you've never set it before then it will be set to the default time chosen for you by the forum when you registered which will likely be inaccurate.

The new time display can be seen as the last detail below your avatar in every post.

oh, well that's nice indeed.

now that it's here, I wonder why no one else had thought about this already in the past -

well maybe someone did, but didnt offer Schot enough cookies :blink:

hmm, will have to find (and read) documentation for all of the IP.Board feature's and plugins (or handcrafted stuff)

..had some thoughts regarding future stuff as well, Brad already knows - (well, one thing..)

Greetings, James

edit:

found one:

how to turn that 'user time zone' feature off - under 'my controls' , perhaps ?

(I don't need to, you all already know at what unearthly times I'm up reading&posting sometimes, but.. :thumbs:

Edited by Rotluchs

Something I have noticed after the time feature was added, your profile views goes up rapidly, perhaps it means by looking in a thread where someone has posted counts a profile view...

Nice stuff! Great idea there dreeft :)

Edit: Whilst you're at it, this is just nit-picking but while looking at peoples times I just noticed that under the Real Name section below our avatar it says "Real Name :_____" with the ":" in the wrong spot...easy to fix?

Edited by Dragon Brother

Thanx guys and you're welcome!

@Rotluchs: Weeeeeell... Considering you have your flag showing and that there's only one time zone in Austria I'd wager that not being able to turn off the member time isn't a HUGE problem. ^^ Come on James. You're on a gaming forum. We're ALL going to bed late. :) When it starts to get shamefully late just change your Time Zone from your controls to make it look like you're not up so late, lol.

@Spunky: Hmmm, I don't think so. You's jus' a popular fellow. :o

@Dragon Brother: Good catch! Fixed!

P.s.

My time was two hours off because of the Daylight Savings Time setting... I turned off auto detect DST which fixed my displayed time. Probably something to do with the fact that our forum software was created before the change in DST time here in Canada.

Now im gonna nitpick and say maybe there should be a space after the ":"? :)
It does the same for Platform, Gamertag & PSN ID too.. :bye: Edited by dreeft
Now im gonna nitpick and say maybe there should be a space after the ":"? :)
It does the same for Platform, Gamertag & PSN ID too.. :bye:

lol you guys. Ok ok! There, Happy? :bye:

@Rotluchs: Weeeeeell... Considering you have your flag showing and that there's only one time zone in Austria I'd wager that not being able to turn off the member time isn't a HUGE problem. ^^ Come on James. You're on a gaming forum. We're ALL going to bed late. :) When it starts to get shamefully late just change your Time Zone from your controls to make it look like you're not up so late, lol.

@Spunky: Hmmm, I don't think so. You's jus' a popular fellow. :bye:

P.s.

My time was two hours off because of the Daylight Savings Time setting... I turned off auto detect DST which fixed my displayed time. Probably something to do with the fact that our forum software was created before the change in DST time here in Canada.

woohoo :) nah, as said - not important to me at all, was just a thought for a second, hit that reply button too fast.

I could change my timezone+flag, but, what for .. would only confuse myself, not the others. and, I post any time of the day anyway, if I'm in tha mood to.

and if I'm really bored, and even if there was absolutely no activity at all on forums..

NOW, I can watch HUNDREDS (well, many) of clocks ticking - simultaneously?

let's hope the Sacred gameservers will never force me to :bye:

now if that feature isn't awesome.

edit:

how's that timezone-display measured - especially in Montreal ;)

was wondering because gogo is June 6 12:44 PM and Schot's June 7 12:44 AM .. is that the 1hr auto-DST option as well ?

..unless, ofc that....

Edited by Rotluchs

@Rotluchs: Weeeeeell... Considering you have your flag showing and that there's only one time zone in Austria I'd wager that not being able to turn off the member time isn't a HUGE problem. ^^ Come on James. You're on a gaming forum. We're ALL going to bed late. :heart: When it starts to get shamefully late just change your Time Zone from your controls to make it look like you're not up so late, lol.

@Spunky: Hmmm, I don't think so. You's jus' a popular fellow. :P

P.s.

woohoo :) nah, as said - not important to me at all, was just a thought for a second, hit that reply button too fast.

I could change my timezone+flag, but, what for .. would only confuse myself, not the others. and, I post any time of the day anyway, if I'm in tha mood to.

and if I'm really bored, and even if there was absolutely no activity at all on forums..

NOW, I can watch HUNDREDS (well, many) of clocks ticking - simultaneously?

let's hope the Sacred gameservers will never force me to :P

now if that feature isn't awesome.

edit:

how's that timezone-display measured - especially in Montreal ;)

was wondering because gogo is June 6 12:44 PM and Schot's June 7 12:44 AM .. is that the 1hr auto-DST option as well ?

..unless, ofc that....

lol @ HUNDREDS (well, many) of clocks ticking. It's kinda neat eh. All those lil clocks ticking to their own time in unison despite their differences. Kinda metaphoric of darkmatters in a way.

All jokes aside though an on/off switch wouldn't be a terrible idea. After talking to gogo about it I can understand it's uses. I'm not sure how easy it will be to implement but I'll see if I can create it. :)

You're welcome guys. It's all set for you too now Arp. :)

Thanks! *steals cookie from cookie jar and gives it to Schot* "Here ya go!"

Cooooooookie! Om nom nom nom nom nom! :)