What Causes the One Hit Knock Out in the Crystal Region?

Hey guys.

So I've heard about this one shot thing in the crystal region.

Some say it's a type of boar that reflects like crazy, some the crystals, or their LL% attacks, or who knows.

Anyway, I've been running test dummies through this area, blasting everything with spells, Combat Arts, melee, melee Combat Arts, you name it, and cannot get myself killed!

I've noticed certain boars do have reflect (appears to be melee only), but the damage reflected is insignificant, like 3k from a 40k hit.

I tried it with HE with glacial thorns, 135x20k blasts did nothing, not even reflect.

The LL% from the crystals did like 7-9k to a character with 60k+ hp...

I've been trying anything and everything to see this bug first hand, so I know what to avoid, as I really like going to this place, it's killer looking, and tons of enemies etc.

So does anyone know exactly what the cause of this 'OHKO' is in the crystal region?

Any and all info is welcome.

Cheers,

Hey there rooster, I know I was talking to you in game about this. When I found the post I bookmarked it for future reference so here it is. It was in the CM patch thread.

The issue with the One-Hits in the crystal plains, emerged from the crystal boars. There was one out of three types of crystal boars that had a way too high reflection bonus (modifier value = 1000 instead of 100!). I cannot tell how this boartype looks exactly, I just fixed it.

There may still be a cryptic death problem in the area with toons just "falling" to the ground like dead, even when just standing around and no attacking monsters. I don't know what causes this, and I have never experienced it myself. I just heard of it happening.

It's those Crystal Boars(not sure if it was only champions or all of them as it have been ages since I was there), and it only happens if you use weapon based attacks, spells arent affected at all.

It's those Crystal Boars(not sure if it was only champions or all of them as it have been ages since I was there), and it only happens if you use weapon based attacks, spells arent affected at all.

Well then it doesn't ehappen like their normal reflect, which is well,... normal.

I've probably killed a million boars today with a seraphim, with only battle stance running.

They do reflect, but more in the range of like 3k than the seraphims entire life, around 60k.

Just to note, I've killed all three types of boars, by the truck load, and yes they do reflect a lot, almost everytime I attack them -> I.e. out of four hits in pelting, its always the first 1-2, and they do at most around 3-5k reflection, with no mods lowering 'enemy chance to reflect' etc, and the character is dealing roughly 40k+ per hit.

It just doesn't make sense. It seems like totally normal relfect for an enemy that has it.

The second explanation, falling through the ground or whatever actually sounds like the real issue.

As those I've talked to about the bug actually happening to them, said there was nothing around, or the enemies must've been invisible. This sounds much more plausible the more I think on it, which is also probably why most are able to relog back in and the character is actually still alive.

Thanks for the help so far, I will try murdering more boars, but I am pretty sure their reflect even if 1000, which would probably be 100%, as it seems to be for the first hits always reflect, is not the cause.

Unless of course, the character has absolutely horrid or no defenses, and well that's not the games fault.

I'll keep diggin!

Edited by r00ster

I am curious, are you testing on Closed Net or LAN? I have gone up there in LAN and not had an issue. but on Closed net have had the undead death with a HE and an instant death with a dryad. both in the area of the crystal boars, and in both cases I didn't see what killed me. It was done before I realized what had happened. As a side note, my seraphim has hunted up there in Closed Net and not had any problems.

Hmm, seems like the bug wont trigger if you try to bring it out, but when I did my exploring of the Crystal Region I got hit by it 5-6 times in under 30 minutes.

Another thing, I have always been mounted when I got struck by it, and what happens then is that your mount die and leaves you frozen in place with 10% or less HP left, and no way to use either a healing pot or execute a CA, so I have actually never "died" by the bug.

And when this bug happens all enemies walks away as if you were dead for real, even though I stand there frozen with my 10% HP left.

Im with the others. While never having experienced the actual death bug mentioned by spunky, Ive never had any issues running through the crystal planes. Its definitely not the relfecting boars thats the issue there. Its the one spunky mentioned thats the "killer."

Hmm, seems like the bug wont trigger if you try to bring it out, but when I did my exploring of the Crystal Region I got hit by it 5-6 times in under 30 minutes.

Another thing, I have always been mounted when I got struck by it, and what happens then is that your mount die and leaves you frozen in place with 10% or less HP left, and no way to use either a healing pot or execute a CA, so I have actually never "died" by the bug.

And when this bug happens all enemies walks away as if you were dead for real, even though I stand there frozen with my 10% HP left.

I'll need to get the test dummy a mount and try that. I have not been mounted at all during any of this... and with how wonky sacred can be... nothing's out of the realm :)

Could be something as simple as the map grid while mounted has 'holes' in this area even lol. Who knows.

EDIT* for the noting, I'm doing this in LAN.

Edited by r00ster

I'll need to get the test dummy a mount and try that. I have not been mounted at all during any of this... and with how wonky sacred can be... nothing's out of the realm :)

Could be something as simple as the map grid while mounted has 'holes' in this area even lol. Who knows.

I'm curious if you make a closed net character and go up there if you still have the same result. I remember czevak went looking for the bug to fix it in the CM-Patch and had a hard time in LAN finding the problem.

I'll need to get the test dummy a mount and try that. I have not been mounted at all during any of this... and with how wonky sacred can be... nothing's out of the realm :bye:

I'm curious if you make a closed net character and go up there if you still have the same result. I remember czevak went looking for the bug to fix it in the CM-Patch and had a hard time in LAN finding the problem.

I have done the whole area and quests as a fire based HE (closed HC) when I first got the expansion, nothing out of the ordinary except some awful pathfinding in the floor around the phoenix boss, which is double terrible as it has a lot of 'trap' style attacks to avoid.

Edited by r00ster

Hey r00, I had this happen once in closed HC. It was definatley reflect from one of the boars.

I go there with spellcasters quite often and have never experienced it. The drop dead bug is new to me, have never heard of that happening before.

The toon that died was either a FR Shadow Warrior or a magic staff dryad using DA and they werent mounted.

Left the game and rejoined and the toon was still alive, the same as others have reported.

Edited by Dobster

Nice topic.

lol what does OHKO mean though? I will move the acronym to second line of this topic tile.. lol but I can't figger out what I means .. :lol

One Hit Knock Out?

:bye:

gogo

I tried fixing this for CM, and only found one type out of four crystalboars had a way too high CC reflect (1000 instead of 100 like the others).

Other than that I also have no idea what is causing the one hits there.

There might also be an issue with toons riding (special) mounts travelling there, being they "die" instantly, don't respawn, can port around "dead", but are revived after quitting the game and restarting. However the mount seemed to be lost in some cases.

Would be grateful if you could find something reproduceable there. :)

r00ster,

I used to farm the area because of it's many Minion Spawns *reminds me of grinding the Southeast Swamp Region*, The Crystal Phoenix is always an exciting Boss to slay *love her Dragon Strike*, also love the terrain.

I have had [3] deaths in this region. None of which truely died. The toons do appear to be dead, but when rebooted, no red-skull, like your Avi. All [3] deaths where of random nature. Meaning, [1] I know for sure was a Crystal Boar, the other [2], I cannot say for certain.

This place is truely mysterious in nature. Which perhaps is why so many people are naturally drawn to its mystery. I have not been up there in a great deal of time. Maybe it is finally time to revisit the "undead dead".

I have also had the best of luck farming the Crystal Phoenix, in the past. She is the only Boss to drop me a Legendary thus far. [2] in fact, both spawned as Kal'durs. I remember her packing a heavy left upper-cut. Always seemed to survive our encounters. But, in the same hand, always seemed to be red-lined in the process of slaying.

Love this Game!

I remain, :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

A bit of new info here.

Today, my RL friend and I ventured into the crystal region, with a completely melee SW, and completely melee Seraphim.

We told each other should anything funky occur, we were prepared to die.

So we're off!

We are killing fine. I get 3 pieces of the celestial set in as many minutes. No MF, and I'm not celestial based...

Anyway, we're killin' and come to the bridge spanning nothing.

We fight boars here.

Nadda. We fight everything. Nadda.

We continue. We fight Scaron.

Odd, no drops at all.

We continue.

Right passed Scarons lair, is the area where there are the crystalized undead, and the various 'crystal' animals, including boars.

We fight on.

A few minutes in, and there is one boar ahead on the path. My friend with his SW engages.

He said he saw no red flash, but his hp was gone in an instant, and his mount tossed him and he died.

Then, I see him get up. He can't move, I tell him to relog.

He does.

He and his mount are alive.

Moral of this story?

I don't think there are 'separate' bugs anymore.

I think the boars are the cause also of the 'mystery' deaths. He was definitely fighting one of the boars thats name starts with a P. It was a non champion.

There were also no red damage numbers, etc.

He said he just hit it, and got the red flash, dead. Then his SW got up, he says he remembers him saying something about being alive, and someone give him a potion lol.

So odds are, all the 'bugs' here are one.

Cheers,

EDIT*

Upon re-reading some of this thread, it seemed to happen to him EXACTLY how Spunky stated, however my friend did attack the boar.

The rest is identical, and we we're both mounted.

Edited by r00ster

Great homework here r00ster!

The "Undead Dead" lives on until they fix the reflect bug?

*High-Fives @ your SW friend also* brave soul indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to explore the crystal region. Is there a risk I will LOSE my hardcore character? I know people have had scares but it sounds like nobody has LOST their HC char? (to bug)

Edited by claudius
  • 1 year later...

So I spent some time in the Crystal Plane recently and encountered the red flash bug. My experience concurs with the theory that blames the crystal boars. There was always one of those within melee range when the bug occurred.

I have come up with a couple work-arounds for this. This first (and painfully obvious) one is to not get hit. The simplest way to accomplish this is to do a mad dash through the areas where the crystal monsters live. The other way is to kill everything before it gets to you. This is the method I am using now with my fire elf. She lays down a continuous sheet of fire with Blazing Tempest and nothing can touch her.

The second method is not so obvious. I have a Niob level, close-combat Seraphim with an extremely high Divine Protection (level 106.1, mods: Capacity, Boost, Improved Mirror). While running the Niob campaign, I noticed how well DP worked against the LL from the Eyes in the Forest and the bugged Demon Mages in the Wastelands, and decided to try it against the red flash bug. I fought the entire length of the Crystal Plane twice without any issue. With other characters, I could not make it half way across alive. While this is too small a test to be conclusive, I have no qualms about taking her to the Crystal Plane. I just have to make sure nothing can attack her during the 4.5 seconds between DP casts.

HTH

I know the test isnt conclusive.

However, if & when the test does become conclusive, I would venture to say DP 'Divine Protection' may very well be the most powerful defensive CA the game has to offer.

Great homework here lujate. We now have hope at least the Seraphim can outshine that region & the 'red flash bug'.

I guess when DP says 100%, it is exactly that...100% absorb.

Out of curiosity. Have you tested DP against the Abishai & his OHKO Deathblow CA?

I remain, :bye:

I am now a huge believer in DP. I had originally expected it to be nothing more than a source of additional HP's. The damage mitigation that it provided was an unexpected bonus. With only 3 defensive skills (Armor Lore, Constitution and Warding Energy Lore) and only one of them mastered (Armor Lore), I expected this Seraphim go down in a blaze of glory. She turned out to be my Timex build.

I would not know the Abishai's OHKO CA if I saw it. This Seraphim has a 2-0-1 record against the Abishai. I fought the Jungle Abishai in Platinum and bugged out when my mount was killed. Then the Forest Abishai with you and JK. I do not think she even broke a fingernail in that fight. Finally, the Forest Abishai on Gold with Dobster. Dobster's DM got one-shotted but I did not see what CA did it. My Seraphim and mount won that fight, but it was a close one.

Timex build.

:4rofl:

I would not know the Abishai's OHKO CA if I saw it.

That is what is so amazing about the OHKO Deathblow CA. The Abishai has only ever killed any of my characters with said CA, except my Dryad.

One second your there, swinging for the fences. The next, a local artisian is crafting a tombstone, beginning with RiP.

Never have I seen the actual animation for said CA. It literally happens in under 1 second. Unlike the 'red-flash bug'. At least with this bug you get a glimpse of red before the 'undead dead'.