Coming Soon... Our new Dark Downloads section

We're getting Downloads! gogo has been planning this for a long time now and we finally got down to business today and installed our new downloads section as part of our forum. Not only will it provide a place to upload and download but it will also provide excellent organizational tools. So everything is in place. All that needs to be done now is to throw the "install" switch and the Downloads section will magically appear!

Once active we'll have more work to do because we'll need to setup various sections to group specific types of downloads. The Downloads order system will appear much like forums and subforums so we'll need to create "trees". For this we'll need to consider every kind of download we think we might provide and based on that develope a tree. For organizing we'll be looking for advice from everyone here at FDM to help us ensure the best possible order and so as to not leave anything out.

Keep your eyes open for a "Download" link on the forum later on today! Me and gogo are gonna head off to a local cafe now and test mah new laptop out over there. We might set things in motion from there. ^^

Cheers gang! Can't wait to see what kind of downloads we'll be hosting. ^^

It's good that you finally settled this. By the way, I think it'd be nice to put not only builds, chests etc. there, but maybe all the patches too. The official ones (since they are sometimes found deleted from the servers which wiki refers too) and the newest CM too. Maybe also some other popular mods.

Speaking of CM, I'm not sure if the CM developers want all the new content to appear in the download section. It's new after all, and it's still interesting to look for it.

Great thought Silver and I think that's actually the first thing gogo wanted to do. Patches. It will take a fair bit of time to get them all up considering their size but eventually we'll have them. Even Underworld patches, haha.

As for the CM Patch I've thought a lot about it. The Downloads system is very nice especially considering how easy it will be to update your own contributions. In this sense czevak would have complete control over the download page of the CM Patch and allow him to quickly and easily update the file version. Of course it's completely up to him how he wants to share the CM Patch. :)

There's a lot of things we want to do with the new Downloads extension. Hopefully far beyond the boundaries of Sacred.

The patches are really big, but it may be a useful addition. Some days ago I spent a lot of time looking for the russian Underworld patches, because all the links to them were down. I found one link in the end and added it to the wiki, but I wonder how long it would last. And now I have all the russian patches for both S1 and Sacred 2 on my hands, so I'd upload them if you are interested in having them there.

And I'm pretty sure that czevak won't mind sharing the CM patch here. Actually, I thought more about whether or not it'd be good to share the newly added content. For example, me and Munera have various set, unique and legendary items on our hands, but I'm not sure it'd be good to share them.

Oh the items would certainly be a great addidtion. The only extra step I see is that there might be some cases where will need to ask the creator of something about if we can upload it.

Wow you guys, I can't believe how much work you put in ! This must be becoming a full time job for you !?

Many thanks for everything and I look forward to seeing what goodies are on offer to download.

Good luck with everything.

Steve. :)

Cheers Steve and, yup! It's becoming a full time job for sure, lol. Though I guess that's kind of the dream. Would be nice to drop my day job, when I go back to it, and work full time on web stuffs. Best job ever! :)

Cheers Steve and, yup! It's becoming a full time job for sure, lol. Though I guess that's kind of the dream. Would be nice to drop my day job, when I go back to it, and work full time on web stuffs. Best job ever! :)

Might have to stick a few more adds on the site...hehehe...*imagines the mockup*...80% or so of the screen covered in adds with a tiny portion of the screen in the center that displays the rest of the forum.

Might have to stick a few more adds on the site...hehehe...*imagines the mockup*...80% or so of the screen covered in adds with a tiny portion of the screen in the center that displays the rest of the forum.

eeek....I'll make sure that never happens :)

eeek....I'll make sure that never happens :)

Thank god for that!

Oh that reminds me of a recent trend in ads these days. Lately I've been coming across sites that have a very narrow design like ours. Difference is that all the empty space around the content is clickable and when you do are taken to an add, lol. It's like 60% ad space. Caught me a few times before I realized it. I'm not terribly fond of ads given the effect they have on any skins I might make. No ads for our members! Knuckles is a great motivator!

As for our Download section... It's proving a bit of a challenge though why I'm surprised I really don't know. It's never simple. ^^ gogo ran a test upload this eve with negative results so I'll need to do a bit of research to make things as smooth as possible before we open the doors. As gogo said.... Almost there! :D

As for our Download section... It's proving a bit of a challenge though why I'm surprised I really don't know. It's never simple. ^^ gogo ran a test upload this eve with negative results so I'll need to do a bit of research to make things as smooth as possible before we open the doors. As gogo said.... Almost there! :D

I don;t mind the wait....half the fun is in the anticipation!

Hey hey I see some activity going on. Thats awesome. But.... um my brain goes blowup.gif when I try to add a file to the database.

Could one of you cerebrally less challenged in the fine arts of binary manipulation help a poor greasy fingered Mechanic please. A how to guide would be awesome. I use Vista, and type with two fingers and a thumb.

Much thanks

We're almost there! Most of the work has just been completed actually, and, if you've got files you want to upload, go for it. It's pretty easy to do, just click on any category you want, and it will keep giving you drop downs till you get to the category you want to upload your file to. We don't think, so far, there's any need for zip files, you can try exe

so give it a go and see what happens, we were able to post up blank characters and one of my builds and it went up great.

You will need a thumbnail for the file, and put a small write up together, a pitch to everyone who reads, so they get excited, and are just dying to download what you've put up to share. After you finish uploading, we'll see that an upload needs to be "okayed" we stamp it and your upload goes live! :bounce:

As well, the moment your upload goes live, it also, at the same time, will produce a post in the uploads/downloads builds library informing the world that a new upload has been posted up for everyone to take a look at.

We'll write up a much more indepth upload/download manual in a few days, this is just a primer.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, just wondering if there is anyway to hide the posts that show up with new downloads being added. With wolfies suden spate of activity there I was wondering if it would be possible to not see a dozen or so posts that kinda just take up space.

Oh that reminds me of a recent trend in ads these days. Lately I've been coming across sites that have a very narrow design like ours. Difference is that all the empty space around the content is clickable and when you do are taken to an add, lol. It's like 60% ad space. Caught me a few times before I realized it. I'm not terribly fond of ads given the effect they have on any skins I might make. No ads for our members! Knuckles is a great motivator!

Just let me know when more motivation is needed :D

Hey, just wondering if there is anyway to hide the posts that show up with new downloads being added. With wolfies suden spate of activity there I was wondering if it would be possible to not see a dozen or so posts that kinda just take up space.

Heya!

We have the uploads making threads to draw attention to the new downloads being made available for the community. Right now, with so many uploads to catch up on there will be a lot. Coll thing is, the new content with builds, items and patches can help players, and hopefully this will entice some more community to upload more for everyone. Much as builds in the old days were going up quickly with the new game, I guess this is a new kind of interest, and is, in a way, the progression of the Sacred game. There is a huge number of items that we need, and this is one of the largest projects we've ever embarked upon, lots of uniques, legendaries and sets to add, if you see it in the wiki, we'd like to offer it as a download.

:bounce:

gogo

Ahhh, I think I know what you're saying now. When you open up the downloads forum, it's difficult having to sort through all the download announcements and discussions. What I can do is split up that section into a general discussion and forum for all the downloads...this way we would only go into that forum to pick out downloads that interest us, while going to the other forum for discussion topics.

I think this will work?

gogo

...lots of uniques, legendaries and sets to add, if you see it in the wiki, we'd like to offer it as a download.

:bounce:

gogo

That can be awesome! would I, for example, be able to download new better weapons and armor pieces? and at what level would they be? (Is that a very noobish question)

Ahhh, I think I know what you're saying now. When you open up the downloads forum, it's difficult having to sort through all the download announcements and discussions. What I can do is split up that section into a general discussion and forum for all the downloads...this way we would only go into that forum to pick out downloads that interest us, while going to the other forum for discussion topics.

I think this will work?

gogo

Nah, don't worry about it. I was just wondering if there was a way could hide a certain section of the forum from showing up when I clicked on the show active thread/new content link.

Can rar files be added to the ok to upload list. I have my level 200 weapon and armor collection ready to upload. There 20+ armor chests including a Christmas chest. I combined each character's armor in a rar file. There are 8 categories of weapon chests. A set item chest for all the set weapons. A Legendary chest. (Uniques are included with their weapon category) CM & Legendary chest which includes most of the new legendary weapons. A crystal warrior set with a flaming weapon of each crystal type (I thought it looked cool, flaming ice).