More bad news for swans

We had cases of 'illegal hunting' here. We had temperatures around 10 celcius last week and you could watch a lot of common cranes and northern lapwings returning early in the year from their winter places.

Last 3 days temperature dropped to -15 celcius and several of the returning birds landed in a river valley close to my parents to rest and save energy. What was happening was that many people arrived to watch them. But some of them had dogs, and from these some had dogs not on a rope. So the dogs started to chase the birds and the owners did nothing. My sister said she and some friends called police and police said they could do nothing as long no birds were injured. Nothing happened till an old man (around 80) threw his glasses at a policeman and said that the dogs would hunt swans and that swans are huntable birds by german law. So the dogs chasing the swans would do a illegal hunting which is forbidden and punished with up to 5 years arrest. The police stopped the illegal hunting by saying that unless a professor for biology would tell them that these grey birds would be no rare variant of swans they would take them for swans and black baby swans and would start to arrest people in a minute. And suddenly all dog owners vanished.

Sometimes I do hard in understanding laws but I am happy for the strange solution for the problem.

After the sad news of the swans found frozen to death on the Somerset downs that I posted a little while ago, this happened :-

Somerset swans

I try to be understanding to all humans, but some are beyond my thoughts ! :(

People like that are worthless, and should be eradicated from the face of this earth!

I think Dobster lives fairly close by. Any inside info' there Dobs ?

I hadn't even heard about this Steve and neither has a friend who works for the Somerset police.

That is awful, I hope they catch whoever it is and make an example of them :(

I'm glad Terry Pratchett has got involved. He does a hell of a lot for the local community.

Is there even a punishment that fits the crime in this case...........short of repeatedly shooting the perpetrators with an air rifle ?

We had some serious Rhino poaching problems a while back in South Africa. Something like 300+ Rhino's were shot for their horns. In the end 2 veterinarians were caught with some of their friends and co-poachers. 99% of the time only the horn is taken, as it is very popular in Asian medicine. Both black and white Rhinos are endangered species, with world populations of Black Rhinos at about 4200 and +- 1670 in South Africa. In the late 90's White rhinos population was barely more than 100, with proper conservation and breeding programs, the number went up to almost 20 000! But last year 333 were poached!

and this is the aftermath!

post-15332-0-92992300-1299276490_thumb.jpg

post-15332-0-02779700-1299276568_thumb.jpg

and this one wasn't even dead

post-15332-0-27009100-1299276600_thumb.jpg

A farmer who recently bought some Rhinos for his game farm/lodge, actually had the new Rhinos sedated, and had the horns professionally removed.

ah, the rhino poaching breaks my heart. I understand a food chain, but flippant stuff like this just makes me sad :( And Terry Pratchet becoming involved really elevates this case. With this enormous bounty in place, surely the perpetrators are that much closer to being found.

:)

gogo

I have a hard time looking at pics like those....maiming/killing animals just for their horns (or fins for sharks) just boils my blood. If it was me and I caught them I would shoot them on sight. The last rhino pic really really bothers me. Amazing how cruel some people can be in the name of greed :(

A farmer who recently bought some Rhinos for his game farm/lodge, actually had the new Rhinos sedated, and had the horns professionally removed.

Does this mean they can humanely remove the horn and it will grow back or he had it done so the poachers wouldn't go after them?

Does this mean they can humanely remove the horn and it will grow back or he had it done so the poachers wouldn't go after them?

I'd heard about this!

I think it was something I had read about it National Geographic. Is this something that is done so that poachers have no target anymore?

gogo

The killing of those rhino's is 100% wrong, and I hate that they do it. But they kill them for a reason, even if it is pure evil. It is done for cash. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way condoning that, please believe me. My point is, that the killing of those 31 swans was absolutely pointless. They just dumped the bodies. They didn't do it for any known reason. You could almost understand if they shot them them ate them, or even took thier feathers. But they didn't, and some of them were shot multiple times before they died. The R.S.P.C.A think there could be more bodies that they just haven't found yet.

I was more than a bit stunned to read that 2 vet's were involved with the slaughter of those lovely rhinos, doesn't that go against everything that a vet stands for ? :(

I also read this week that the beautiful Amur ( Siberian ) tiger is very close to extiction in the wild. Makes you want to cry, tbh.

I have a hard time looking at pics like those....maiming/killing animals just for their horns (or fins for sharks) just boils my blood. If it was me and I caught them I would shoot them on sight. The last rhino pic really really bothers me. Amazing how cruel some people can be in the name of greed :(

I wish I could cut the "horn" of of those people! :butcher: it infuriates me! :evil:

No. the horn is removed in a pain free way by vets and it doesn't grow back.

I'd heard about this!

I think it was something I had read about it National Geographic. Is this something that is done so that poachers have no target anymore?

gogo

Yes, it is so that they won't be hunted by poachers any more. but it can't be done to every single rhino ex in The Kruger National park, because they use their horns for self defense and for male dominance.

They have had a few cases where the rhinos who had it removed became "shy" and removed themselves from a herd, almost as if being "ashamed" of being the one without a horn.

The killing of those rhino's is 100% wrong, and I hate that they do it. But they kill them for a reason, even if it is pure evil. It is done for cash. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way condoning that, please believe me. My point is, that the killing of those 31 swans was absolutely pointless. They just dumped the bodies. They didn't do it for any known reason. You could almost understand if they shot them them ate them, or even took thier feathers. But they didn't, and some of them were shot multiple times before they died. The R.S.P.C.A think there could be more bodies that they just haven't found yet.

I was more than a bit stunned to read that 2 vet's were involved with the slaughter of those lovely rhinos, doesn't that go against everything that a vet stands for ? :(

Yes it does go against everything they stand for. but some people have such poor morals that a penny can change them!

Edited by Delta!

Yes it does go against everything they stand for. but some people have such poor morals that a penny can change them!

The more I think about it the more amazed I am !

A vet has to train for many years. Everything they do is to save an animals life. Yet those guys did the worst thing you can do to an animal ! :Just_Cuz_21: I sickens me that they would bow down to the god of material wealth.

IMHO, those two vets are worse than all the hunters put together. :(

Steve.