Reebok ZigFly Custom Designs

Totally Tubular Shoes!  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which pair of shoes should Schot buy?

• Blood Runner's FTK!
    • Alakazam Rock Star!

So some time ago I saw those cool ZigFly shoes and I gotta say I think they're really cool lookin. It's been a long time since I bought new shoes and now's the perfect time I figure with summer on the way. So the only question is... Which pair?!

The selection in stores is kinda lame so I've resorted to designing my own pair of ZigFly shoes. Yup! I gotta say I love designing my own shoes. After this I doubt I will ever buy pre-made designs. It's so much fun! Unfortunately, custom shoes are only available in the US so I'll have them delivered to my sister's place and she'll ship'em off to me. Now then! Which pair to buy. I've made two designs for myself that I'll be using as trainers for cardio training. Need to improve mah circulation...

So here are the two contenders:

This is my first design and I find the navy blue/red contrast really works well. For fun I put light blue on the inside sole.

Blood Runner! :viking:

shoe1.jpg shoe1a.jpg

The second design si more about my fave colour being blue and of the available colours to choose from only orange seemed to compliment well so...

Alakazam! :lol:

shoe2.jpg shoe2a.jpg

So what do yahs think? First pair? Second pair? "Come on, Schot. They're just shoes!"?

Lucky that you can choose colours. Our oldest is 194centrimetres and has woman size 47(europe) which would be 13.5 US(woman).

And then several problems pop up: most sport shoes are calculated for smaller people, so the sole may gets too flexible if just magnified for bigger people.

Normally sport shoes for girls end at size 12.

Her current solution is to choose uni-sex stuff. And visiting a taylor or shoemaker for custommade stuff. Then I try to fight with tax bureau for the extra costs... Girls larger than 190cm can ask for lowered taxes.

So as long she visits school her country girl style might be okay: jeans, cowboy boots, country hat (to mask her size a bit), ... But ever tried to get dancing shoes in 47 for a homecoming ball?

The Blood red would probably show less age and dirt over time, but the Alakazam Rock Star looks pretty cool to me with the trace of gold .

Ouch! I just went online and saw he price. :o

They're both nice! These are sweet shoes. Mid range price, but you feel like yer floating on air. Cool thing is you can get almost a bazillion dfifferent colors. Tough pick for you SChot... I'm gonna stay on the fence on this choice... though I like the name alakazam

:lol:

gogo

I wonder if the liking of the Alakazam design might be something freudian from the unconscious mind:

faladal.gif

Felling in love to the ice elf? whistle.gif

Edited by chattius

Hrm... both are functionally identical, so I will vote for Alakazam.

Blue/red combo doesn't tickle my fancy too much. 8) Needless to say, I was a "black suit Spiderman" fan and hated when Marvel switched him back to the original suit.

Second pair :) I really love the color contrast on that one. Both look great, but the second pair caught my eye straight away.

Mid range price,

I saw them on Reebok's site for $130. I don't think I have ever spent that much on any single article of clothing. They must really feel like heaven.

I remember Air Jordans going in the $180 + range... in the 1990's! Seems weird that shoes really haven't gotten any more expensive (or cheaper) in the past couple of decades...

There is some "technology" in athletic footwear, so the prices really reflect something more than just the name on the shoes.

So, 130 really isn't that bad, especially considering if they slapped an "LBJ" (LeBron James) onto the shoe, it could would probably go over 200 :4rofl:

So, 130 really isn't that bad,

I agree with this as well, but for special shoes...like these. Usually, when looking for daily day runners, I won't spend more than around 85 - 95 CAD...but for stuff like this for sports, running, even partying, the 130 mark doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

:)

gogo

So, 130 really isn't that bad,

I agree with this as well, but for special shoes...like these. Usually, when looking for daily day runners, I won't spend more than around 85 - 95 CAD...but for stuff like this for sports, running, even partying, the 130 mark doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

:)

gogo

And here I am buying el cheapo $15 runners...and thats with the aussies dollar being worth more than one US dollar :D

lol

ah, but if you know how long I can make that single pair of daily runners run!

oooookay..just a wee bit more masking tape on the toes there, with a touch of colored marker to match the leather...

:cow_white:

gogo

lol

oooookay..just a wee bit more masking tape on the toes there, with a touch of colored marker to match the leather...

gogo

Masking tape? Seriously... Everyone knows it's gotta be DUCT tape! FTW!

Duct tape holds the universe together, after all...

Edited by wolfie2kX

Cool, It's unanimous! Alakazams win by a landslide. :D

After I posted this topic I got to thinking that I might prefer the Alakazams more. At first I was sure I would rather the Blood Runners but when I saw the two designs side by side for the first time I the Alakazams right away. Funny because it took me days to finish the Blood Runners design and the Alakazams I made just an hour before posting.

It is kinda pricey but I've come to appreciate the significant difference in quality between "el cheapos" and expensive name brands. Last year I only spent around $30-40 on shoes. This spring I stopped by a local running shoe store to try on some shoes and I could feel a big difference right away as compared to when I first tried on the shoes I bought last year. There certainly is a level of technology that goes into these expensive shoes and probably well worth it. Thinking about it now it might be safe to say that shoes nearly as important an investment as ones bed.

lol chattius: omg, I wonder... She IS my fave character. ^^

As for which I'll be buying I think it's a done deal. Alakazam! I can't wait to get these in the mail. Only downside to buying these custom shoes is that supposedly it takes 4-8 weeks before they'll arrive.

lol

gogo

Yeah, but mine don't last very long as it is, the tennis courts seem to erode them terribly quickly.

I go thru sneakers in about 3-4 months, mostly due to my job. One thing I am wondering about on these running shoes is the arch support. If it has a really good one, I might buy some myself. Standing on concrete for 10-14 hours plays havoc on my back. So once you get them let me know Schot :)

I never put much thoughts in my sport shoes: 12 pairs of Adidas Samba in the last 30 years. Around 40 pairs if I add kids and wife. Sole doesn't paint the ground of sport halls, robust enough for soccer, good turning circles on sole for handball, classic design, can even be used to play goalie on sand places, worn at work, ...

I am really used to this black shoe with white stripes or white with black stripes, design wasn't touched in more than 30 years. I get them for around 50 euro the pair if our sport club does a mass ordering.

adidas-samba.jpg

Now I see them for 100 euro if customized: You can choose different colours for all the different parts of the shoe. Even add a country flag and a name or writing. But 50 euro's more for a shoe which gets red by training my kids on a red sand place anyway?

http://shop.adidas.de/miadidas/Main.action

Perhaps our oldest daughter with her 12.5 sized shoes can make something useful for her. I can see some usefulness if you are a girl with real big feet and want to change uni-sex shoes to something more girlish.

Edited by chattius

Yes, buying shoe-fat/shoe-wax in buckets ;)

Myself and 2 of my daughters play goalie at soccer. Sometimes you can't tell where soccer ends and mud wrestling starts:

116058_1_articlepopup_sportfoto_schlamm.jpg

Well our sportfield is not quite as extreme but close at extreme rain, just the shoes vanish in the mud at our field: picture above is from a tournament in Schlammfussball (mud-soccer).

The ground around the goal is the most run and therefor the most ruined. Gras does often last not even one season and once it is destroyed there are deep mud pits at rain. Same is valid for sand place: the sand in front of goalie is run away. So if you play goalie it happens a lot that you spend 90 minutes standing in a mud pit. So we gave up on shoe polish, because the water will allways find a way into the shoes. We use something like dubbin on our leather sport-shoes. Won't make them watertight, but they remain soft when drying.

The same fat is also used for all the leather gear for vaulting (our second was state champion with her team in this befor she hat the car accident), our family sport for whole family: combined-driving and the old Lanz Bulldog tractor.

Leather bands of different sizes were used to drive different farm machines by a stationary tractor. And you don't want one thing happen: the band broken and working like a 10 metre long whip in a crowd of people. The old fat/wax recipes still proof to be the best.