A very successful Happy New Year!

Although I was indeed late for Christmas, not so late for the new year...2012.

What does 2012 bring for you & yours?

An early 2012 from me to you & yours. Coveted family of friends and fellowship.

Happy new year everyone, been too long. Much to long! May 2012 bring you success & eternal peace!

I remain, Etherian

It is a leap year, so one day more till 21th of decembre 2012.

Twins will join pre-school, oldest will visit university, second will be allowed to do sport again, third will do a music school, .....

31th decembre we will buikd a big tent on a central hill top, move all fire trucks there, do some winter bbq with firefighter from other villages and hope everyone gets a 'guten Rutsch' ( good slide) into the new year.

I wonder if some of you have the tradition of a Grenzgang too. Grenze is border and Gang is a walk. It was a controlling of the borderstones of a village. Centuries ago there was no gps and the borderstones defined what belonged to who. Some people tried to get more farmland by moving the stones. So people did a walk along their village borders with shovels, scythes, pickaxes to make the stones visible again, or put them back o original places or use the tools to fight the sone movers. Nowadays it is a nice reason to do a walk with friends and do a good meal at a restaurant for wanderers.

The walk is normally between x-mas and new year now.

71346_1_15HF1V.jpg

@ Chattius...We have nothing like that here....your area is just so full of tradition and history and stuff. In a way I'm envious, the only old tradition I can think of here is the annual Blessing of the Fleet

Agreed Knuckels. I am in a way also envious.

Europe as you know is much older than the States. So full of history & tradition. It also seems Europe has a much stronger connection to its roots, if you will.

In the States, we have lost something of our past, therfore our tradition's.

Happy New Year Everyone, where ever you may be...

I remain, Etherian

Yeppo, happy New Year everyone at DM! May your next year be great.

About the traditions; there's not any really old traditions I can name here which would still be in practice. I read that in the old times they used to throw a bath whisk to the roof of sauna and foretell from the position of the whisk what next year would bring.

Nowadays New Year's is usually full of fireworks, drinking, celebrating and such. I've seen my share of it all for some time, so I decided to stay home, take a few, have a sauna and do some gaming.

Happy New Years to all my mates at DM. :thumbsupsmiley:

The only tradition I have is the headache I am now experiencing. :flu:

I seem to always get one of those on New Years day.....don't know why that is :drunkards:

Bleigiessen, translating as Lead pouring,Molybdomancy on silvester short before new year:

Used a tin mushroom, heated it and got something like a massive body, a small bubble and 4 rays attached. I thought of a dog while my girls said a horse. Horse would mean a travel or a new car.

Any of you do molybdomancy too?

We had like 250 people at our firefighter party, first time back to 1994 that there wasn't any emergency call. We had 3 tents, teenage party, adults and younger kids. Field kitchen with spaghetti, potato fire, some Twist bread for the young ones. temperature was 5 celcius with a lot of fog. So sadly we couldn't see much of the fireworks in the surrounding villages. Potato fire and twist bread wsn't planed and mainly done to fight the fog a bit but were great fun for the kids.

chattius: Well, that's one of the borrowed traditions around here too. Came from Sweden around ~1700 or something.

Those tins are usually shaped as horseshoe. Haven't done tin pouring in ages. Just somehow I've one by one slipped from all the traditions there are.

Molybdamancy... my new word for the New Year!

I spend this day usually just chatting with family, friends, (once I get over the headache o-O) I like to go over what happened, see if I can have some more fun with the coming year.

My job change was hugely impactful this year, but I feel great with how things turned out.

I actually spent some time yesterday in the afternoon, reaching some of old work colleagues, and setting them up with references for where I work, and offered to help them write up some CV's for applications.

Success for all of youg, may wonderful meals and adventures dot your journey.

Happy New Year!

:)

gogo

• 2 weeks later...