Diablo 3 Battle Tags - What's the story

Hey guys

I've removed the battle tag topic as it was stated that someone had accepted a "friend", didn't know who they were, and got hacked.

Is there a link to this happening we can check out?

We'll work on getting a tag thread moved internally or with higher permission sets for FDM members we've known for a while that are "trusted"

:)

gogo

Sounds weird if that should be possible.

In any case, get an authenticator! Either for a mobile phone (free) or as a physical token ($5 or so). It's very much worth the added security imo.

Sounds weird if that should be possible.

In any case, get an authenticator! Either for a mobile phone (free) or as a physical token ($5 or so). It's very much worth the added security imo.

What is an authenticator? I've never used one before

:blink:

gogo

Some type of two factor authentication (think ATM card and PIN) maybe? The price for the mobile version seems doable.

Edit:

Thanks for the links. Looks like you posted them just before I made my post.

I saw this regarding the mobile version:

Why does the Battle.net Mobile

Authenticator cost different amounts

for different mobile devices? Our primary goal with both the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator application and the physical Battle.net Authenticator is to offer accessible security options to as many players as possible. In the case of the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, each mobile carrier has different costs associated with the distribution of applications, so the prices for the application relate to the distribution cost. In the case of the iPhone, distribution is free, which is why we are able to offer that version of the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator to players at no cost.

The Android version also seems to be free.

Yup it sucks...always some jerk ruining a good thing. If anyone would like my Battle.Tag number but isn't a full member of FDM, pm me and I'll send it to you

Sorry guys it was me that posted about the guy getting hacked. I didn't mean to panic anyone, just give a warning to be careful.

There is no proof that it was done through the players Battletag but it might help to not have them on the open forum, or at least display them in a way that can not be easily searched by a hacker/spammer. The guy was hacked through his friend list but it is not clear how they got his details.

Diablo 3 - Been hacked already

Yes as you can see from the title, my account, according to the blizzard employee I was speaking to yesterday was one of, if not the first person to have an account compromised in Diablo 3.

Logged on yesterday to find that my character had been emptied of all gold and gear and found at a different area as to where I logged out. They couldnt recover anything either.

Just goes to show why single player games should be left offline. Amazing.

Lucky I was only level 13 and took me an hour or 2 to get back to where the gear level was before.

Mind you the guy who hacked me left his username on my friends list (quite silly) so I gave Blizzard his name for future preference.

So a bit of warning for people who have or is going to get diablo 3, make sure you have the authenticator, will make the world of difference.

I think we're more in the 'safer than sorry' mode right now. We've moved them to our 'members only' section as well. Maybe at a later date when we learn the particulars of this hack we'll open it up for everyone. We do appreciate the heads up on this potential problem though :D

Well, I'm glad there isn't anything directly connected to the battle tags then.

Whew :sweat:

And this is a good warning to everyone to maintain their usual high security for gaming, and an excellent incentive (and pitch) for some nice Diablo 3 swag!

:bounce:

gogo

We've moved them to our 'members only' section as well.

which is what just made me realize again.. 'I am still not a member - yet' :Just_Cuz_21:

sry to hear that,

so for the time being, if you'd like to add me, just ask me first via PM here or on clan-da.. it's a bit circuitous, but better save then increasing the potential risk of getting hacked..

PS:

do you have a thread listing FDM players on EU SC servers?

..I could go and ask you via PM then :unsure:

The topic has been removed, I guess it can be brought out but only after it's all been edited to remove everyone's tags and that's going to be some work.

Chrona, if you want you can start up another topic, but if you can indicate in the first post that anyone who posts their tag does so at their own risk, I think that would be fair warning.

gogo

If you log offline when you leave the game will this protect your character?

it might help. there is reports / rumours, that hackers (if there were any) might have been hijacking 'running/active' sessions by trying to take over your current connection. maybe DDos / SQL injection..

just saw this, and posted it over on clan DA as well:

more and more sites are talking and reporting about potential hijacking risks and issues in Diablo 3.

according to the latest report that I read on german's gamestar.de site, and on computerbase.de

they suspect hackers of hijacking a player's Session ID, as the method how they're doing it. It means, that they don't even need to know your battlenet-login or authenticator code..

Maybe they try to hijack your current session, possibly using DDos attacks / SQL injection..

It would explain in that case, why you lost connection to D3 servers, however you might experience general connection problems with your internet, then..

If your ISP is using dynamic IP adresses for your connection, you could possible reduce the risk of being hijacked or resolve it, by resetting your router/modem once in a while (which should give you a new IP adress)

Also, if you quit D3 and restart it again, this should give you a new session ID as well..

source:

http://www.computerbase.de/news/2012...lo-3-accounts/

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/diablo...7,2568000.html

NOTE:

this is just sites reporting what's been posted on other sites, and there is afaik no official statement from blizzard, whether there have been any attacks or not..

so, even though it's just 'rumours' and 'assumptions', one should be careful..

I've read about folk having thier session drop out and when they get back on all thier items and gold have gone. I was wondering if that is down to the servers rather than hackers, not that I'm an expert on the subject.

The main target, I would have thought, for hackers is the r/l cash on the auctions rather than getting items from some-ones account ?

I've read about folk having thier session drop out and when they get back on all thier items and gold have gone. I was wondering if that is down to the servers rather than hackers, not that I'm an expert on the subject.

The main target, I would have thought, for hackers is the r/l cash on the auctions rather than getting items from some-ones account ?

..that's why it will get even more problematic on May 30, which is when I heard they were about to start the RMAH..

also, maybe they're going to try and sell those stolen items.. has each item a unique ID? if so it might be hard, if not, maybe they could get away with it, if the can't backtrace who hacked & stole the stuff (if anyone did, because it's still not sure how items/chars were lost)

..that's why it will get even more problematic on May 30, which is when I heard they were about to start the RMAH..

also, maybe they're going to try and sell those stolen items.. has each item a unique ID? if so it might be hard, if not, maybe they could get away with it, if the can't backtrace who hacked & stole the stuff (if anyone did, because it's still not sure how items/chars were lost)

If that's correct, then it is pretty low.

Apart from ruining other's pleasure, they aren't exacly going to get rich from it !

I don't think the reported hackings are related to battletags or session hijacking.

More like phishing, keylogging and other means. Don't visit questionable sites, don't share too much information, and you should be safe. No need to be paranoid :xmastree:

I don't think the reported hackings are related to battletags or session hijacking.

More like phishing, keylogging and other means. Don't visit questionable sites, don't share too much information, and you should be safe. No need to be paranoid :xmastree:

That was my take on this as well

gogo

Had something a little strange happen.....entered game and looked at who was on-line...saw Ryan and someone named Ivon. I have never sent nor accepted a friend request from this person...I immediately checked all my gold/stash and everything is fine. And I removed this person from my list.

Did someone from FDM possibly change their D3 account name/nickname? If so..sorry :) Just re-send request.