New Uniques and Legendaries - Brainstorming

Flix

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting Pm's concerning requests for new armor and weapons. This is strange to me, I'm not listed as part of the modder group, I'm just a common member. I'm not even currently playing the game, the Lichdom beta currently caught my eye.In addition, I think it's almost comical that they've picked the member with perhaps one of the shortest fuses in the community here to PM. I really am trying, but I think it's understandable that I haven't been myself since the cremation. Anyway, being that these PM's are coming from new members who I think haven't read some of the older conversations, I'm going to try to help out a little. There's things you have to consider before making requests, especially some of the ones I've seen like "me likey rocket-scooters, me want NOW!!!!!" :

1) Our modders have a crap-ton of projects on their plates. Some of them spend almost all of their free time modding for the community. Heck, some of them haven't even had the chance to play a game for 4-5 months. I might be mistaken, but I do believe I've read that our modders have said that the window for brainstorming is currently closed. I don't dare speak for the modders, but I think it may be your best bet to put your ideas about new weapons and armor on the back burner for now.

2) You have to understand that our team has finite capabilities. I do believe it was Flix who said that there's a difference between modifying an existing item and making a brand new one, and that there won't be any new items any time soon. That is the category that suggestion for the Cylon armor belongs. The original Battlestar Galactica came out a year before I was born, but old repeats still aired when I was a little guy. If memory serves, I don't remember Cylon armor being horribly complex, but I don't think we have anything close to it, which means new armor must be made. I also might be mistaken, but I don't think they can imitate the red eye strip on their helmets (I'm not sure of the correct terminology for it, I was a wee lad when I watched that series).

3) As I understand it, the modders don't like deviating horribly far from the game's lore, which I totally understand and agree with. I have no clue what chitauri armor, weapons, and chariots are, I'm more of a horror fan than a science fiction one, but it sounds like whatever chitauri is, it falls well outside of Sacred's realm.

4) I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think there's a way to modify the game to make it a first person perspective, which is the category I think the suggestions for sniper rifles falls. Come on, sniper rifles aren't fun without being able to look down the scope :)

5) Flix's Skeletor might say "I'm not nice", but he's always been civil to me. Not too long ago, he and I were discussing the possibility of a dexterity based armor set for the Shadow Warrior some time in the future. I've only recently discovered that the SW absolutely slays with ranged weapons. I'll tell you one thing: had I PM'd him "Flix! Me likey ranger Shadow Warrior! Me want NOW!" dude wouldn't have given me a second thought. I don't think I need to address the "Me likey......., me want NOW!" comments in further detail. Which brings me to Skeletor:

6) The Inquisitor isn't going to be able to have the classic Skeletor armor. I can understand why that was asked, the Inquisitor already has skull helmets and we have a staff already ingame that looks like the one Skeletor had from the original cartoons. But there's a big stumbling block: if you take away the Inquisitor's placement armor, dude's missing fundamental parts of his body. Now the SW could totally rock Skeletor's armor. I do know that Flix and I once spoke of having harness-types of armor that Skeletor and He-Man wore, but I have no clue if any of his helmets could me modified to look more like Skeletor. In a few months when some of the modding projects are potentially done, that might be something worth asking him about. Now, there are other modders besides him, but he's the only one I've really dealt with. I'll tell you right now, though, the whole "Me Want" deal that I talked about above won't win you any points with him. If I remember, the SW doesn't have the magic staffs skill, which means he can't shoot projectiles from the staff. I'm not quite certain if he can even equip a staff, I've never tried. If memory serves, Skeletor could indeed shoot projectiles, which brings me to a final point. There was far more, but I hate reading walls of text, in addition to the fact that I won't lie...I'm starting to bore myself.

7) I might be way off, but I don't THINK that the modders have the ability to rearrange character skills. That means that the Inquisitor is never going to be able to equip a shield let alone have shield lore, the SW won't have the ranged weapons skill, etc. I also think that it was stated that they don't have the ability to make new combat arts, which is a bummer. I've always wanted to see the Dragon Mage have a weapon based CA.

Gilberticus you can tell whoever's bothering you to just post all their ideas in this thread. That's what this thread is for, anyway, although I've edited the leading post so many times that may have gotten lost. No guarantees on any ideas getting included in the mod or even acknowledged, but then, there never was anyway. ;)

I'm super busy lately, so I've put Silver Fox in charge of doing updates on the mod, but he's got a job and a personal life too, so although work on the mod continues, updates are slow in coming. Pesmontis is kind of doing "freestyle" modding right now, basically just playing the game, modding random things as he comes across them, and sending the results to me and/or Silver Fox.

I think Chitauri refers to the monsters that swarmed through the portal at the end of the Avengers movie. I always knew them as the Skrull from the comic books. I can't be bothered to look them up right now.

New Combat Arts can't be added, but new CA's can be made to replace old ones. Llama's CM Patch Mod actually did this to a bunch of CA's, and I'd always wanted to make a similar mod myself. To start with I would have replaced Magic Wall with a Hybrid Damage CA like Magic Coup, but called it "Elemental Strike" and made it do multi-elemental damage with a weapon. Maybe the weapon could even made to shoot a projectile like Archangel's Wrath. I'll probably never get around to this though.

BTW, my avatar is joke, but I guess only someone who has been subjected to the horror of the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special would get it (so basically, the joke is just for me). Rarely do we see such a thorough de-clawing of a villain as we do in that special with Skeletor, who ends up cradling a little puppy to keep it warm, and who by the end of it has lines like "must...save...the children!"

Is he holding a puppy? I get it now, I never really looked at the picture close enough to see he was holding something. As far as directing them to this thread,that's exactly why I posted here, I told them about this thread and most of them claimed they couldn't find it. I guess I can understand that, I didn't have the easiest time navigating when I was new, this was my very first forum. Now, one person said she was a little too shy to post here, she's where the Skeletor idea came from. I couldn't point her here, I think she blocked me. But I like the Skeletor idea, that one has my personal vote the next time suggestions are being taken, if it can be done. But our members need not be shy, I have never seen any of us say something to the extent of "That is the dumbest idea I have EVER seen here! Not only will I make sure your idea never happens, but I'm also requesting that you're blocked from the site permanently!" I think we're pretty chilled and docile here, for the most part :)

A He-Man and She-Ra Christmas special......can't lie, I'm not heartbroken that I missed that one :) I found that Avengers movie, the Chitauri are the things at the end of the movie.

Yeah, the avatar looks ok on my profile but is resized to be absurdly small on the forum posts (hey Schot, where's that upcoming forum visual upgrade you talked about 3 months ago?).

I don't see how anyone could know about the Items Mod but not know about this thread. I have links pointing to this thread on the file page for the mod, in the first post in the mod's download thread, and on just about any other thread that pertains to the mod, like the various armor sets threads and the unlocked items thread. And the Items Mod download thread is itself linked to on the Wiki and in my signature, which shows up on every post I make. This topic has been almost constantly the most recent thread updated in the mods section of the forum, displaying right on the front page. This is not to criticize, I'm genuinely curious how someone could come to DarkMatters and then decide they want to PM Gilberticus about adding items to the game. Because I take a lot of extra time and care to interlink as much stuff as possible that I don't really have to do, but I do it because I want people to be able to find things easily.

Edited by Flix

I'm kind of curious about that as well. There's only one way that I could understand missing this thread: ignoring member signatures. I have that function enabled. But claiming to be unable to find the thread is kind of like claiming to be unable to find the link to the Wiki. Bam, right at the top of the page, with the nice little coin purse icon. This leads me to think people are just trying to screw with me, especially since not a single one of them have commented on why it was so difficult to find the thread. Lame stuff, man. Gilberticus doesn't like anyone other than Mrs. Gilberticus screwing with him. But, c'est la vie I guess. Oh! Someone did give me good idea concerning Sacred, but it's not about mods, so it'll go elsewhere.

>"...I am getting Pm's concerning requests for new armor and weapons... Anyway, being that these PM's are coming from new members who I think haven't read some of the older conversations, I'm going to try to help out a little..."

Thank you very much for coping with those PMs and bothering to tell us about them. It's hard to estimate how much attention the mod actually gets when only a few regular visitors post in this thread. I'm not sure why the newcomers decided to PM you about their ideas, but it's good that you did not just ignore them and told us that people are still interested in seeing new mods.

Now, it's true that the modding team is not as active now as it was around the version 1 release, and that there are a lot of things that were started but not yet finished. But I don't think we should put a big "CLOSED" sign on the request thread - we can always hear out the suggestions and maybe consider them for implementation later. You never know which ideas would turn out to be really good - there were certain posts on this forum that sparked our interest, and now there are a few ongoing projects that were originally suggested by common members who read our threads. Though even when the ideas are considered for implementation, there is no way to get the result immediately, as some things take time and can get delayed or even dropped.

As for the ideas that were sent by those PMs and listed here, well, most of them don't look like they have much chance to get implemented, but who knows. If there is one thing I can say about the scope of our modding abilities - we don't take projects that require 3D modelling from scratch, without having any existing 3D model to use as a base. It's not impossible, but requires way too much time to be considered seriously. So I don't think that any of the stuff inspired by new movies and comics is going to happen. As for the more classical designs, as that of the Cylons or Robocop that was mentioned earlier - these series were popular enough so that some fan-made art for them can be found, but converting these items to be usable in Sacred would require some very serious dedication. Personally, I'm not a big fan of either franchise, so I won't take up such project.

Rifles in general and sniper rifles in particular are out of question - the holding poses and animations of the weapon types currently in game just don't match the rifles. I spent quite some time looking at the bow, pistol and energy weapon animations when we considered the possibility of implementing crossbows, and I can say that they all look just way too off. That generally goes for any kind of the weapon that is drastically different from the ones present in game. We can't make new weapon skills and new weapon animations, so every weapon we bring in has to be assigned one of the previously existing skills, and then it either fits, or does not fit.

About the same goes for the Shield Lore skill for the Inquisitor (and Temple Guardian, for that mater) - those guys were designed as classes that are unable to use shields, so even if we force them to equip one, they would most probably fail to do it correctly. TG simply does not have a place on his model where a shield can be attached. I haven't checked the Inquisitor, but probably he does not have an attachment point for the shield either (or the shield is bound to show serious clipping with his flowing robes.) We also can't make the Dryad use pistols, as she does not have the necessary animations for such weapons, and so on.

BUT: we actually can try to add the Ranged Weapons skill for the Shadow Warrior. The CM Patch added Ancient Magic for TG (Issue 504 on Mantis), and by czevak's comments it sounds like adding a skill can be accomplished by a quite simple edit of creatures.txt, so it can be attempted.

Interesting, thank you, I don't know why I was always under the impression that he didn't have Ranged weapons as a secondary skill. Good looking out , boss :)

Great update, thanks Silver Fox. Enemies prepare to be seared and charred!

Can you please fix the link for the last image?

• Like! 1

I always keep one "+Visibility range" weapons as torch. It comes in-handy sometimes. The new Torch of Light will be a great replacement.

Shame the game is so well colored and not dark enough for torches.

• Like! 1

What's really special about these new torches is that they have their own light radius, rather than just adding to the player's light radius with a modifier.

I edited the first post with the newer updates.

Edited by Flix

A friend and I have been discussing a few ideas, so I thought I'd bring them here. She was talking about either Templar or 16th Century Italian armor for the SW. I honestly have to say I don't like either of those ideas, but I promised I'd discuss them. There are some cool types of Templar armor I've seen in my day. However, I don't know about you ladies and gents, but I don't see the SW as a Templar. Now the 16th century Italian armor; there are some really bodacious sets that fall into that category, but I think they're a little too...."real" for Sacred. The sacred series is my fantasy oasis away from reality. However, the Roman Centurion is semi-realistic, and I love the crap out of that set. Any thoughts?

Edited by Gilberticus
  • Like! 1

:eek: Uber suoer mod, really perfect work, now I test it and it´s great. I have one question can be Phantasm swor one handed sword, not only two handed? Because that sword look amazing, and it would be wonderful to hold one in each hand

• Like! 1

:eek: Uber suoer mod, really perfect work, now I test it and it´s great. I have one question can be Phantasm swor one handed sword, not only two handed? Because that sword look amazing, and it would be wonderful to hold one in each hand

Thanks, hope you continue to enjoy it. It's a possibility to make that model 1-handed, but it probably won't happen any time soon.

A friend and I have been discussing a few ideas, so I thought I'd bring them here....Any thoughts?

Just that it's a shame the Shadow Warrior is the only man in the game who wears armor, so all the warrior armor ideas go to him by default. The other guys are a mage, a man in robes, and a robot dog.

Really, I think what would be much more awesome is to have a Templar-style armor set adapted for a female body, and give it to the Seraphim. It suits her character better.

And by Templar I mean some of the more stylized takes on it that get creative with the theme. I ran an image search for 16th century Italian armor and it looked to me to be the tin can style armor that's too easy to make fun of because of its stiffness. You know the kind I'm talking about:

domino.PNG

:lol:

Hi, is this normal? Orignal Blueprint files (wIthout Items mod) http://s105.photobucket.com/user/Martinit760/media/Blueprintoriginal_zps17bfeff1.jpg.html

Could you fix it? Does anyone know what the problem is? Because I would like to edit the properties of the items

Edited by Legosp

Hi, is this normal? Orignal Blueprint files (wIthout Items mod) http://s105.photobucket.com/user/Martinit760/media/Blueprintoriginal_zps17bfeff1.jpg.html
Could you fix it? Does anyone know what the problem is? Because I would like to edit the properties of the items

The linebreak is not registered by Notepad. Try WordPad

• Like! 1

...either Templar or 16th Century Italian armor for the SW...

Really, I think what would be much more awesome is to have a Templar-style armor set adapted for a female body, and give it to the Seraphim.

The classical Templar armor makes for a quite simple (by Sacred's fantasy standard) chainmail, cloth to cover the chest and a trademark bucket-shaped helmet. I don't think it would look cool in Ancaria, because it really does not match the rest of the designs in this game. Of course, there are more creative approaches to the theme, for example, Guild Wars and Dragon Age games have rather awesome designs labeled as "Templar Armor". But when you try to analyze them, those designs look not so much "Knight Templar" as "Fantasy Paladin", which is good too, but does not exactly fit the request.

As for who of SW and Seraphim is the best candidate for getting new heavy armor, it depends on a particular design - the "Death Knight" kind of designs fit SW, while "Holy Knight/Paladin" designs are more for the Seraphim.

Thanks for the praise. It's possible to make the one-handed version of this sword, but of course it won't have the same stats, for the purpose of keeping the balance. The actual Phantasm was made rather powerful on purpose, to make the idea of wielding a two-hander a bit more compelling. Those stats were meant to compensate for the fact that you can't equip the second weapon together with it. If this sword would become a one-hander, it would also be weakened - but if it's just the look you're after, a one-handed version can be made.

Both Notepad and Wordpad have their troubles with handling big TXT files, so I recommend using Notepad++ for editing the script files.

• Like! 1

...either Templar or 16th Century Italian armor for the SW...

>Really, I think what would be much more awesome is to have a Templar-style armor set adapted for a female body, and give it to the Seraphim.

...Of course, there are more creative approaches to the theme, for example, Guild Wars and Dragon Age games have rather awesome designs labeled as "Templar Armor". But when you try to analyze them, those designs look not so much "Knight Templar" as "Fantasy Paladin", which is good too, but does not exactly fit the request.

Yep this is along the lines of what I was thinking. Fantasy Paladin. It's a shame we can't give the Seraphim robes.

Warrior_Templar_Armor_F_dyed_front.jpg

templar.jpg

8841.jpg

Both Notepad and Wordpad have their troubles with handling big TXT files, so I recommend using Notepad++ for editing the script files.

Again, yep. I use Notepad++ for all script edits to the mod and I recommend you do the same if you're going to experiment yourself.

Any chance for unique scythes? I wish flail was an option, but it can't be implemented from what I've read.

We've added two already:

5tbvs0Rm.jpg dCnUvWst.jpg lrq3TiHt.jpg

xrfb0Gmm.jpg iLFj7Qsm.jpg

Do you have any ideas for more?

• Like! 1