The Borg's Sunday BBQ

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I made sure the coals were dry to start, put on extra lighter fluid and then covered them over with some old wooden shingles.put about twice the charcoal that I needed. and had a cover standing by. and stood over it with an umbrella in hand.

Edited by Lord of the North

Isn't that just a bit extreme? :P

I thought the fun of a barbecue is that you ahve it in the warm and sunshine

:)

~Doom

Well I made sure the coals were dry to start, put on extra lighter fluid and then covered them over with some old wooden shingles.put about twice the charcoal that I needed. and had a cover standing by. and stood over it with an umbrella in hand.

If I may make a suggestion. Get rid of teh lighter fluid, get a electric starter

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...oductId=1294201

Or I use a chimney

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chimney.html

It makes the flavor better. Lighter fluid even though it does burn off does add a flavor to the bbq.

When I lived in Canada I had a shed next to the house for storage and sometimes bbq'd in it. Other homes I had a covered porch. One way or another I managed to bbq year around. Now down here in the hot tropics it's in reverse. I BBQ on my front porch but spend alot of the cooking time looking out from my air conditioned living room door *lol*

Actually right now I have skirt steaks, corn, chicken drum sticks and liver ( for my wife) on the grill

Edited by Borg

Unfortunately we live in a condo now and if I want to BBQ I have to use the electric or go to far from the building for an electric starter to be useful I'm on the second floor and the community use BBQ's are on the other side of the parking lot.

Guess I have been lucky then. Actually I am in a condo now but have a ground floor end unit with a nice front porch. But other condos had a balcony and no restrictions as to what type of bbq you can use. I had one apartment that was almost below ground floor. I would slide open a window that was about chest high for me and was really at ground level and cook on a small Habachi

http://www.amazon.com/Cast-Iron-Hibachi-BB...l/dp/B0000SW0UU

By the way the links are not there to sell something just to show what I am talking about.

Well let me call this BBQ School 101 :D I prefer charcoal BBQ just for the flavor it gives. I have a Weber BBQ with a Rotisserie. This dinner was done on just the basic grill. I start out with using a chimney to fire up the charcoal.

bbq101001.jpg

After the coals are ready they are dumped into the "pans" you see on the left and right of the grill. This is if you are using indirect method of cooking.

bbq101002.jpg

On the grate on either side there is a small handle that you can lift and a small "door" opens up and you can add coals if your cooking for a long time.

bbq101003.jpg

I've added corn and chicken legs in the center to cook in a slower indirect method.Moving the corn and chicken to the side I put in a bbq plate and add the liver ( urrghh I hate liver) but it is cooking indirectly so it will not burn and dry out.

Close to the end I add the skirt steak. Since it is so thin it cooks quickly so I can put it directly over the heat which sears the out side quickly and seals in the juices and cooking time is quick

bbq101005.jpg

And everything is done at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

heh, you know...I'm sort of thinking that you having your own thread is creating even more of an expert out of you! I was reading back through a few posts. This topics come a long way my friend, and I've enjoyed reading all about the goodies coming from the coals. I've got a good friend who also loves bbqing... I'll point him this way.

Thanks for the latest installment...what comes next...your own Youtube cooking show?

:cry:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh the end of summer the beginning of fall, all right for us its always summer but anyways its a warm Sunday and BBQ time. And my favorite rib time again. I bought a couple racks of ribs a while back and took them out of the freezer the other day and put on my home made dry rub. Let it sit for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Fried up the BBQ put on the Ribs on my rib rack ( check out the first wire holder on the rib rack, its shaped like a pig ) and the potatoes

Ribs-1.jpg

Season and added green and red sweet peppers.

Plated and served with cheese over the potatoes

ribs002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. one last post for a while. This is definatly not for vegetarians *lol*

I have potatoes, and what might be the best tasting corn I have had in a long time. I soaked it in it's husk for an hour before putting it on the grill. The meat is pork chops I put my special rub ( gave the recipe some time back) and let it sit in the fridge over night. When I put it on the grill I did both sides right over the coals to seal the meat and keep the juices inside then moved it into a indirect heating area to finish the cooking. Then in the kitchen I chopped up some onion, put in some garlic, and sliced some liver ( uuuurrgghhh for the wife) into strips. Then threw again my same seasoning over it all and stired it up and put it on the BBQ The results? Well your all invited down to find out but as my wife said "Forget restaurants"

supper.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I haven't posted here in awhile so here goes.A little tip if you like to cook a chicken on the grill on a rotisserie.

The first problem with putting a chicken on the rotisserie is that a chicken is basically hollow. This doesn't give the rotisserie rod much to hold onto. This mean that the chicken can move around as it spins, and if it moves around it is probably going to come loose. Of course the rotisserie forks are there to hold onto it the bird, but you will find that you need something to fill the cavity of the chicken to help secure it.

Try this, use is a lemon. Yes, just thread the lemon onto the rotisserie rod to the position where the chicken is. The lemon will fill up the cavity of the chicken and help hold it in place. As the chicken cooks the chicken will shrink a little giving it a better hold. Of course if you don't like the lemon flavor on your chicken you can use something else. Try an apple, onion, or even a potato. Of course the potato is going to be harder to get onto the rod, but the neutral flavor won't affect the flavor of the chicken as much (if that's what you are after). Just try to pick something that will fill the cavity of the chicken.

chicken01.gif

Edited by Borg
  • 4 weeks later...

Mmmmm Thanksgiving is coming up time for turkey on the rotisserie slow cooking over charcoal for a few hours and driving the neighbors wild. I just found a recipe to brine it in coffee and molasses will take pictures and give you all an up date when its done this weekend.