Windows XP Service Pack 3 Final

bhj

Windows-XP-SP3.jpg

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Has some quite nice surprises in it :viking:

windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe, is 334.2 megabytes

CRC: 56e08837 (for the .exe file inside the .rar file)

MD5: c8c24ec004332198c47b9ac2b3d400f7 (for the .exe file inside the .rar file)

This is a BETA and if you download it and install it you are doing this at your own risk

New Functionality:

The following is a list of functionality that is included with the service pack, which is not addressed by the included hotfixes and security updates.

The Security Options control panel in Windows XP Service Pack 3 now has more descriptive text to explain the settings and prevent incorrect configuration of settings.

In System Center Essentials for Windows XP Service Pack 3, Administrators and Service entries will be present by default on any new instance of policy.

Additionally, the UI for the "Impersonate Client After Authentication" user right will not be able to remove these settings.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 includes improvements to black hole router detection (I.e., detecting routers that are silently discarding packets), and turns it on by default.

Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module (FIPS.SYS) is a FIPS 140-1 Level 1 compliant, general-purpose, software-based, cryptographic module residing at the Kernel Mode level of the Windows Operating System. It runs as a kernel mode export driver (a kernel-mode DLL) and encapsulates several different cryptographic algorithms in an easy-to-use cryptographic module accessible by other kernel mode drivers. It can be linked into other kernel mode services to permit the use of FIPS 140-1 Level 1 compliant cryptography. link

NAP is a policy enforcement platform built into Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 (now in beta testing), and Windows XP Service Pack 3 (which includes the NAP Client for Windows XP, now in beta testing) that allows you to better protect network assets by enforcing compliance with system health requirements. With NAP, you can create customized health policies to validate computer health before allowing access or communication, automatically update compliant computers to ensure ongoing compliance, and optionally confine noncompliant computers to a restricted network until they become compliant. Link

As in Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, and Windows Vista, the user may now complete setup without having to provide their product key. They will be prompted for the product key as part of Genuine Advantage during subsequent use.

This is a BETA and if you download it and install it you are doing this at your own risk

Current bugs:

After installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta, the Address Bar feature will be removed from the Taskbar

The Address Bar feature will not be present in Windows XP Service Pack 3. This change is in response to a regulatory request and is present beginning with Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta.

There is a bug related to the removal of the Address Bar in the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta. The user can return the Address Bar to the taskbar by unlocking the taskbar and choosing Toolbars > Links.

This is a known issue and will be specifically addressed in a later milestone of the Windows XP Service Pack 3 beta program, where the end user’s ability to restore the Address Bar feature will be eliminated.

Windows Media Center devices will not receive Media Center updates

Users of Windows 2005 Media Center systems that install Windows XP Service Pack 3, will not be able to receive the latest Media Center updates for those systems. There is no workaround in the Beta.

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 on Windows 2005 Media Center may affect the ability to connect to Media Center Extender devices such as the Windows Media Center Extender for Xbox. There is no workaround in the Beta.

Users of Windows XP Starter Edition should not install Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta. When a user installs the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta on top of Windows XP Starter Edition, they will be unable to log in after the next reboot. Alternatives for upgrading these systems will be made available at a later time, and may be addressed as part of a separate beta program.

With IE7 installed, double clicking on the IE icon on the desktop creates a shortcut instead of launching IE

When double clicking on the desktop icon of IE, a new shortcut is created instead of opening a browser page. This is a known compatibility issue with IE7 and Windows XP Service Pack 3. There is no workaround in the Beta.

Using SFC with specific command line switches will cause IE7 to unsuccessfully attempt downgrade to IE6

On a machine with IE7 and the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta installed, if the user attempts to run the command “sfc /scannow” from the command line, IE will unsuccessfully attempt to be downgraded to IE6. From that point on Internet Explorer will be unusable on that machine. This is a known compatibility issue with IE7 and Windows XP Service Pack 3. There is no workaround in the Beta.

IE7 version is reported as Version 6

On a machine with the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta installed, when viewing the About dialog via the IE7 Help menu, the IE version is reported as Version 6, even though it is IE7. This is a known compatibility issue with IE7 and Windows XP Service Pack 3. There is no workaround in the Beta.

Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Compatibility

MUI Language Packs specific to Service Pack 3

As of the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta, users may use the existing released MUI Language Packs. However, MUI Language Packs will be updated and re-released before the official Windows XP Service Pack 3 release. MUI Language Packs specific to Service Pack 3 will be available in a later milestone of the Windows XP Service Pack 3 beta program.

Issues with all MUI Language Packs

Users who have Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Packs installed, and then install Windows XP Service Pack 3, will find that some User Interface (UI) content is not localized. This unlocalized content instead is displayed in English. There is no workaround in the Beta.

The components that are affected are:

* Remote Desktop Connection (RDC)

* Microsoft Management Console 3.0 (MMC)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 users who install and enable Arabic, Hebrew or Japanese MUI packs will find that some UI content is not localized. This unlocalized content instead is displayed in English. There is no workaround in the Beta.

* Run Dialog Box

* "Desktop" tab in the "Display Properties Window"

* "File and Folders" option in Start -> Search

* " Folder Options" Window under Start->Run->Control [Control Panel] -> Folder Options

* Start -> Programs->Accessories Node

* Control Panel

* Administrative Tools Window

* My Computer and My Documents icons on the desktop

Issues with German, Chinese Traditional, Swedish, or Turkish MUI Language Packs:

XP SP3 users who install and enable German, Japanese, Chinese Traditional, Swedish, Turkish MUI Language packs will find unlocalized content in some UI. This unlocalized content instead is displayed in English. There is no workaround in the Beta.

* “Display properties” dialog tab in desk.cpl

* “Windows Script Host Settings” dialog window of wscript.exe

Issues with MUI Language Packs and Microsoft Terminal Services Commands (MSTSC) Version 6:

Users who have KB925877 (RDC6.0 MUI pack) installed and upgrade to XP SP3 will not be able to use RDC in any language other than English. The RDC client UI will not launch when the user switches to any MUI language other than English. The workarounds for the Beta are to uninstall KB925877 (RDC6.0 MUI pack) prior to upgrading to XP SP3, or to only use the English language version of the client if KB925877 is installed.

Issues with Windows Media Player when upgrading from original release of Windows XP:

In a specific upgrade scenario, Windows XP Service Pack 3 users will be unable to launch Windows Media Player.

That scenario is when a user starts from the original release of Windows XP, creates installation media using the SPCD CD image, and then upgrades to Windows XP Service Pack 3. After the installation, when attempting to launch Windows Media Player, they will see the following error message: "Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled. Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site?"

The workaround for this issue in the Beta is to first install Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2, before installing Service Pack 3. :viking:

And here are a few links you can read up on SP3

BetaNews

Neosmart

Here you can download it removed the link as it was old

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ooops didnt see this one before just now :4rofl:

well second quarter 08 if we are to trust MS :blink: (they have postponed this soooo many times now So ill believe it when I have the file on my comp :)

yep they are releasing it thats for sure It was published as release candidate on the 12/18/2007 so its prob done now :)

(but I think iam going to let someone else do the first installation of the final service pack (when we get it) :( so I can read all about the problems on dif forums) :D

Oh there's been a lot of talk about this one eh bhj? I'm not sure what to expect from it but I do recall rumors going around that SP3 would open the door to XP having DX10...

Also, is it true that XP3 will provide a performance boost? I must say I'm very curious as to how it's going to turn out. Kind of strange of them to be releasing an SP3 though... Aren't they creating competition for themselves? I'm sure many users are deciding not to switch to Vista in part because they know that an XP SP3 is on the way, heh. Funny business tactic but I'm sure underneath it all there's a devious master plan. :bye:

P.s.

That reminds me... I need to check up on that DX10 project.

• 3 weeks later...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 RC2 was sent out few days ago... (Release date March 23rd or 24th) :D

You can download it here but plz remember this is not a final release and installing it are doing at your own risk

File 1 File 2 File 3 File 4

edited the links as they where old (if someone needs to DL this version iam sure you see what I have done :P

You need to download all four files before you unpack them

Please Check downloaded files with provided Md5:

Md5 file 1: 69bf544e906f36be6715a17e680e4b85

Md5 file 2: 75ff2af43b74db61c344f671069f61af

Md5 file 3: e3d3c8d2a5712c6a2d39e35fd8b9ceda

Md5 file 4: 805cb436c7b16510c0f3113dc853e5cf

Use SlavaSoft's Md5 Calculator to check the downloaded file's Md5

After unpack it you will have this file: windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe (2600 xpsp 080125-2028 Service Pack 3 v3300)

Please Check the Md5 on this file as well (MD5: 7D0D8928FB56C54232EEFB15170F6E5E)

SP3 Documentation can be found here

Have fun testing but remember at your own risk :sick:

Edited by bhj
edited the links...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 via Windows Update

yep you can :)

Microsoft has made the registry key for Windows XP SP3 Release Candidate 2 officially available for everyone and not just the beta testers :(

what you need to do is download the bat file from Microsoft you can find it here or have a look at the ms website yourself link

what the file does (/looks like inside)

@echo off

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\XPSP3 /f 2> NUL 

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\XPSP3 /v RCPreview /t REG_SZ /d 1c667073-b87f-4f52-a479-98c85711d869 /f

echo XPSP3 registry key has been set.  Please check for updates in Windows Update.

This is still a release candidate and not the final Service Pack 3 So have fun testing but remember its done at your own risk !

• 2 months later...

I think I'm going to wait until it is pushed upon me. I downloaded the RC and my system just kept rebooting. Did a repair install and then could not download from windows update. After a few hours of searching for a solution I finally came up with the right phrase in google.

I am joining Early Adopters Anonymous....... ;)

Wait, I'm feeling a bit uncertain about this... Is this the FINAL final version? lol. Install at own risk:) :) Errr, I think maybe I'll wait just a while. Me thinks my faith is just a wee bit low in Microsoft. The Vista epidemic has gotten me somewhat nervous. Oh and your experience Silearth doesn't help that any. :) That must have been a real drag. :sigh:

P.s.

Just found the below. Was posted 4 hours ago:

Last-Minute Glitch Holds Up Windows XP SP3

Posted by kdawson on Tuesday April 29, @04:51PM

from the it's-always-something dept.[/b]

An anonymous reader sends word that Microsoft Windows XP SP3, which had been scheduled to hit the Web today, was pulled back at the last minute. SP3 apparently broke a Microsoft application, Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System. Their solution is to set up a filter to make sure that no system running the affected software will get automatically updated; once the filter is in place, SP3 will be released to the Web. A fix for the incompatibility will follow.

Eh heh... :blink:

And I have issues with this kind of thing

"NAP is a policy enforcement platform built into Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008"

vista is an ACLU lawsuit wet dream.... disabling software IT deems unfit to run in vista? I dont think so...

Anything like that crap in vista is staying far far away from my computer. While all my software is legal I dont trust microcrap to not diable things like firefox, open office, etc...

Oh the disabling of open source software like Firefox was something that came to mind. I didn't understand what the mention of NAP in SP3 meant though. Thank you for pointing that out Genenut. Whew! :)

After doing a bit more reading it doesn't really look as though there is much use in SP3 though I can't be sure. I just read the Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3 PDF and I don't see anything in it that would benefit me. I guess the last bit on that page kinda sums it up:

Summary

Windows XP SP3 combines all previously released performance, security, and stability updates. It also provides a limited number of new and enhanced functionalities, although it does not significantly change the Windows XP experience or bring most Windows Vista functionality to Windows XP. The goals of Windows XP SP3 are to:

• Provide a new baseline for customers still deploying Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenience of applying individual updates.
  • Fill gaps in the updates users might have missed by declining individual updates when using Automatic Updates, and to deliver updates not made available through Windows Update.

Wait, I'm feeling a bit uncertain about this... Is this the FINAL final version?

hehe yep it is the FINAL version

Install at own risk:)

well I dont want anyone to blame me (or us) if MS has FU something...

as for the "Last-Minute Glitch Holds Up Windows XP SP3" thing you quoted its all about Microsoft dynamics retail management system (RMS) and its only delaying SP3 to be added to windows update

so if you are running Microsoft dynamics retail management system (RMS) on you pc dont install SP3

if your not you can download and install it if you want to :) (at your own risk of course) :)

And I have issues with this kind of thing

"NAP is a policy enforcement platform built into Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008"

vista is an ACLU lawsuit wet dream.... disabling software IT deems unfit to run in vista? I dont think so...

Anything like that crap in vista is staying far far away from my computer. While all my software is legal I dont trust microcrap to not diable things like firefox, open office, etc...

Genenut, have you had problems with Vista not allowing open source programs:) I have had no such problems on my laptop.

I dont have vista. For exactly that "feature". Any software that can choose based on criteria that a corporate entity decides as to what can and cannot run on my computer I have issues with.

Especially microsoft who has been sued for unfair practices in both europe and the us.

It is my understanding that there are lawsuits currently working through the courts of the US and Europe about this "feature" and yet MS is trying to implement it in XP , the only realistic option to vista at the moment for most buisnesses and the average home user (who likes to do more than surf the web and send email and doesnt really know much about tweaking settings)

I think the average user can decide on thier own when or if to run software. They dont need MS deciding whats in thier "best" interest.

I dont have vista. For exactly that "feature". Any software that can choose based on criteria that a corporate entity decides as to what can and cannot run on my computer I have issues with.

Especially microsoft who has been sued for unfair practices in both europe and the us.

It is my understanding that there are lawsuits currently working through the courts of the US and Europe about this "feature" and yet MS is trying to implement it in XP , the only realistic option to vista at the moment for most buisnesses and the average home user (who likes to do more than surf the web and send email and doesnt really know much about tweaking settings)

I think the average user can decide on thier own when or if to run software. They dont need MS deciding whats in thier "best" interest.

as far as I've experienced, microsoft doesnt really give a crap about what illegal software your using. I think all that its about is disabling any illegal versions of microsoft exclusive software, like office, or the OS.

tbh, I secretly think that this service pack is gonna do something to XP that isnt noticeable, that will make swapping to vista seem like a good idea :butcher:

and most of those lawsuits are Anti-trusts suits, which have nothing to do with their software, or consumers... just their business practices.

I really dont understand a lot of the Microsoft hatred that is going around... you all use their software. those that dont, and think that they are superior because of it are deluded. if ya wanna pick a giant corporation to hate, why not google? shoving their internet ads in your face every.... single... damn.... webpage you go on.

and tbh genenut, if you actually tried vista, I reccon you'd think a lot better about it

and most of those lawsuits are Anti-trusts suits, which have nothing to do with their software, or consumers... just their business practices.

I really dont understand a lot of the Microsoft hatred that is going around... you all use their software. those that dont, and think that they are superior because of it are deluded. if ya wanna pick a giant corporation to hate, why not google? shoving their internet ads in your face every.... single... damn.... webpage you go on.

a) the anti trust suits have EVERYTHING to do with the consumer. They tried to force computer manufacturers to only install MSIE on thier systems for one of the anti trust cases. Now think what NAP could do about firefox who is gaining in popularity ALL the time. I think the EU forced microsoft to disable NAP for the EU version....

b) Microsoft is LARGE and they use that fact to thier advantage all the time. They arent here to be helpful to the average consumer... they are here to make money using WHATEVER menthods they can get away with. The fact that they have a near monopoly on the market just makes it that much easier for them.

c) I have yet to see a "new" version of windows that is not very bug ridden and problematic for the 1st year it is out.

As to google, well there are other GOOD options to using google... and no one is stopping you and forcing you to use google. And you didnt pay for Google...

As to google, well there are other GOOD options to using google... and no one is stopping you and forcing you to use google. And you didnt pay for Google...

I didnt pay to use vista either, had it for about 4 months now, and im not doing anything illegal either. and im not being forced to use windows either, theres alternatives out there, if your willing to go without the obvious benefits that windows provides.

and tbh, why would microsoft try and force manufacturers to install IE on machines? its not like people are charged for IE, its as free as Firefox is. (maybe not open source, but it's still free). besides, who's stopping the people who buy the machines from just uninstalling it and installing firefox in its place. besides, I think microsoft is sensible enough to realise how preventing the use of firefox would be utter comercial suicide.

c) I have yet to see a "new" version of windows that is not very bug ridden and problematic for the 1st year it is out.

I have yet to see a single peice of software that is ever bug free in the first 2 years its out, so this comment is pointless.

besides, I'v yet to see a vista bug yet, after all my time using it. im starting to think that half the bugs people are encountering are just people using pirated versions (some software designers use bugs as a form of piracy prevention... causing known illegal versions to crash and cause all sorts of errors on purpose) or doing something wrong during use.

a) the anti trust suits have EVERYTHING to do with the consumer. They tried to force computer manufacturers to only install MSIE on thier systems for one of the anti trust cases. Now think what NAP could do about firefox who is gaining in popularity ALL the time. I think the EU forced microsoft to disable NAP for the EU version....

b) Microsoft is LARGE and they use that fact to thier advantage all the time. They arent here to be helpful to the average consumer... they are here to make money using WHATEVER menthods they can get away with. The fact that they have a near monopoly on the market just makes it that much easier for them.

Genenut, sounds like you just dislike Microsoft, you must have a personal sound basis to do so, but the Microsoft Corporation haven't stopped the user at the end from installing anything. Vista has security issues with networking but it can be resolved especially in Game play to install outside of the Program File Folder.

IE always comes with Micorsoft OS as it is now incorporated into the software, not as a stand alone. This doesnt stop you from installing Firefox or any other browser, the choice is yours. It would be commercial suicide for Microsoft to stifle competition.

Maybe read up on NAP it might help with some of your unfounded fears. And on the brighter side Bill and Melinda Gates giving away money has to be a good thing.

Another forum that I am a member of has a discussion happening as well, and here might be nice to see other peoples take on it

Edited by Funkilicious

Lets just say thier actions here in the US leave any future actions and software like NAP suspect.

Microsoft does hold a monopoly on operating systems for PC's. When microsoft decided they wanted one with the internet too they used every dirty trick in the book including forcing PC makers to install ONLY MSIE on computers or lose the ability to install windows on thier systems. They strong armed netscape and finally intergrated MSIE into the operating system.

the part with the liscenses to sell windows pre installed on PC systems caused an huge antitrust lawsuit in the US that forced microsoft to split thier company in two in the US as the judge did find that microsoft did wrong.

The part intergrating MSIE with windows caused antitrust fines and lawsuits in europe. They were last fined in the last 12 months. So they continue to use unfair buisness practices.

They did all this publicly stating it was all for our own good and to make things better. When in fact it was all for microsofts own financial good and increase thier stranglehold on the market.

So you will all have to forgive me if a) I think NAP is a back door way to achieve thier ultimate goal on increasing thier monopoly and B) that NAP if not being set up for evil purposes most likely is still buggy as all get out and may infact at some point have one of those bugs crop up and disable things like firefox and such that are not MS products.

Microsoft is the evil empire. We as a society at the moment cannot survive without thier product. But it doesnt have to mean we all lie down and let them do whatever they want. The average user doesnt need nap ... we are smart enough to figure this out on our own and nap has the potential to be used for bad much more that good.

Imagine what NAP could do in the hands of hackers? Microsoft already has a "genuine windows verificiation" thingy that installs through windows update for XP and prevents copied windows from getting updates and add ons ect. You have to install this to download updates from windows/microsoft. Why do they need NAP?