Left Overs?

erialc

It's funny, cuz I'm such a leftover user. Feels great finally nailing it on the one thing that seemed to elude me all this time. Fries being what they are...they're pretty yummy when you get them, but within minutes they go bad. And having them leftover for the next day...I kept seeing them in the fridge thinking...ahh, what a waste.

Not anymore French Fry...

Pwned!

:o

gogo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erialc you've given me an interesting idea on gogo original idea. Now in Canada we use malt vinegar on fries here in the states they don't so gogo did you have malt vinegar when you put yours in the blender ?

• 1 month later...
I have to agree with Ari on the pizza thingy

u dont eat it when the cheese have turned hard and yucky. what is good is the leftovers you can reheat to the way it was first time :) like spag or pasta

I share the opinion on pizza!

I like lef overs if cabbage backed in an oven ... you have to reheat it at least couple of times before it gets the best taste ... like on third day :)

• 1 month later...

Coming back from the dead and reading up on stuff I have missed - because the boss will be away in Canada for three weeks soon and I need to sharpen up on my cordon bleu material - I am amazed in this thread:

1.. that it is possible to have left-over chips (fries)

2.. that there are people who eat chips WITHOUT MALT VINEGAR

Such shocks are bad for my system.

But, despite this, I am impressed with Gogo's ingenuity

I had forgotten what a squad of dedicated and brilliant cooks, no 'chefs', there are in this forum. Its almost scary.

But the art of left-over cookery is a most rewarding area, full marks for introducing it. Not cold pizzas (edible but disappointing though I haven't followed the guidelines yet) or cold rice (it is reassuring to see one sensible person who likes cold rice with milk and sugar or whatever - great for breakfast) but the left-overs of soups and stews, and vegetables and sauces. Yes the taste mellows and can be used to mellow the next dish. I can quite often still trace in today's meal a trace of the flavour of left-overs from things we had three or four days back. - never just reheated or taken cold but always used to add flavour to a new dish. My wife will normally spend some time studying any left-overs before deciding how to integrate them into the next meal. She should meet Gogo and Claire, though I doubt if they would stop talking long enough to cook anything.

Anyway, we are too broke to waste anything!

"2.. that there are people who eat chips WITHOUT MALT VINEGAR"

Most people in the States don't use Malt Vinegar. Restaurants for the most part do not even have them on the tables.

Go visit my Borgs BBQ thread BondBug the pictures might make you even make you more hungry

"Most people in the States don't use Malt Vinegar. Restaurants for the most part do not even have them on the tables.

Go visit my Borgs BBQ thread BondBug the pictures might make you even make you more hungry

I know. Most people haven't come across malt vinegar. The French have never heard of it - wine vinegar, cider vinegar only. I thought it was just a Brit thing. It was the shocked pleasure of seeing it mentioned that lead to this bit of stirring.

Yes I have visited your BBQ thread. Great.....do not take my post there too seriously. I will read into the detail when I get time - just the ticket for when the wife is away.

Do you include my favourite 'spare ribs' and the like in your list? :D It is disappointing here. They are a bit blinkered. You can buy BBQ packs in the supermarkets but its nearly all 'merguez' and sausages.

Sorry this shouldn't really be here. :D

You can get them with vinegar in parts of the downeast maine

Then again you can also get them with mayo instead of ketchup too

"Most people in the States don't use Malt Vinegar. Restaurants for the most part do not even have them on the tables.

I know. Most people haven't come across malt vinegar. The French have never heard of it - wine vinegar, cider vinegar only. I thought it was just a Brit thing. It was the shocked pleasure of seeing it mentioned that lead to this bit of stirring.

I think Long John Silver's gives malt vinegar in addition to cocktail sauce and tarter sauce. I gave it a try on some fries and it was pretty good. I don't think that it will ever totally replace ketchup as a french fry lubricant and flavor enhancement in my household, but it can be in interesting change of pace from time to time.

Getting off thread, sorry. Perhaps somebody should start a vinegar thread.

But back to left overs in particular left-over rice. When I told Viv (wife) about this thread she said she had read somewhere recently that it is dangerous to reheat rice no matter how thoroughly it is done. Something is produced that does not get removed. But, of course, she can't now find the reference. Does anyone know anything about this?

Meanwhile I'll stick to cold rice, milk etc for breakfast, if there is ever any left over.

I forgot...another quote on the subject of "left-overs", from Larousse Gastronomique:

" The art of dishing up left-overs passes very often for the heights of culinary science. We cannot subscribe to this opinion. We consider, on the contrary, that in any house where there are abundant left-overs the administration of the kitchen is very bad.....it is clear that the food was either carelessly provided in too large a quantity, or was badly prepared and not to the taste of the guests"

So there you go. I advise you all to go and have words with those responsible for the administration of your kitchen.

Edited by Bondbug
I forgot...another quote on the subject of "left-overs", from Larousse Gastronomique:

" The art of dishing up left-overs passes very often for the heights of culinary science. We cannot subscribe to this opinion. We consider, on the contrary, that in any house where there are abundant left-overs the administration of the kitchen is very bad.....it is clear that the food was either carelessly provided in too large a quantity, or was badly prepared and not to the taste of the guests"

So there you go. I advise you all to go and have words with those responsible for the administration of your kitchen.

In truth, we actually plan for leftovers with some meals. Makes lunch at work so much easier and cheaper. And sometimes there is enough for Mom and me both.

On the topic of left overs I cook enough during my 5 days off that when I have to work the two days my wife has enough left overs to heat up so I don't have to have her cook d030.gif

Where, oh where, do you get those always-so-appropriate cartoon 'smileys'?

What you mention is not really left-overs is it, but pre-paring complete dishes for future use?

The old wood oven is ideal for that, inside, outside, in the porch. We lit up yesterday. Once the oven is heated you add no more wood, and there is a whole schedule of stuff to cook while the oven gradually cools...pizza, bread, patée, pies, cakes, stews, cassoulet, egg custard - grills and BBQs with the door off.... Even the next morning it is hot enough to dry fruits etc. The real work in the kitchen is done over the morning and the rest of the time is remembering to put things into the oven and take them out. Cook for the week if you are fit enough.

It gives off smoke at first but very little thereafter, and none at all once you stop feeding it, and it takes surprisingly little wood. I bought a load of logs some 7 or 8 years ago for £30 and we haven't used them up yet. I don't know if this is a worse environmental threat than charcoal?

And you can build your own oven. At basic level it is a large metal drum cut in half longways and covered in earth like a tiny air-raid shelter (I doubt if you had those!), but if are into DIY you can get much more pretentious.

Edited by Bondbug

Sorry to double post, but lying in my hot sweaty bed at nights, unable to sleep, I think ... Dark Kitchen. Hot sweaty bed because it is upstairs in the old granary where all the heat goes, plus the heat from the PC. I moved both the PC and the beds downstairs today....but that is neither here nor there.

Anyway, on the subject of left-overs, despite the Larousse quote from the superior chef Montagné, I remembered the old standard routine for the Sunday roast ...

... Hot Sunday, cold Monday, minced/casseroled Tuesday, possibly curried Wednesday.

Yes, the Sunday roast was an imposing production.

Does anyone else remember this routine, or is it still in practice where you are

Edited by Bondbug