Left Overs?

erialc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh. Nice tips there Sil. :D Well I guess I can give that a try.

*dials up local pizza delivery*

"Yah Hi. I'd like to order a cold pizza please. ... Yup! That's what I said." :lol:

LOL!

I was thinkin the same thing...maybe they could...kind of like japanese saki?

hmmm, I wonder if anyone's even tried that yet.

Maybe a hot nuked beer for leftovers would work well?

:lol:

gogo

Hmmmm. Somewhere the is a niche market waiting to be tapped. A pizza place that makes the pizza, let's it cool down and then pops it into the fridge for the next day's orders. Cold pizza delivered right to your door. Toss in some cold spaghetti, and perhaps some cold garlic bread....

But going back to the original topic of this thread.....Red beans and rice. Not only good as leftovers--usually better the next day.

LOL!

I was thinkin the same thing...maybe they could...kind of like japanese saki?

hmmm, I wonder if anyone's even tried that yet.

Maybe a hot nuked beer for leftovers would work well?

:bye:

gogo

you should definitely try it! I know a friend who made cheese bread ( brazillian gourmet) with beer, eggs, manioc flour, and mozarella. then he puts it inside the oven! YUM!

I find that stuff like that in the fridge with sauces actually finds an intensification of flavors with the overnight.

Yeah, I love that stuff too. But when you put Tabasco on all of your food, everything is intense. :bow:

Still, leftovers are amazing. I like to cook huge portions and eat off it for few days.

you should definitely try it! I know a friend who made cheese bread ( brazillian gourmet) with beer, eggs, manioc flour, and mozarella. then he puts it inside the oven! YUM!

Forgot about that....

I make bread alot--well not as much as I used to. There is one particular bread that I make that looks like a fancy french bread--it's kind of a 'ladder loaf'. Inside the bread is a mixture of shredded ham and muenster cheese. It is baked until golden brown.

This bread(Perfect for lunch,light dinner or snacks) is great hot on the first day but totally rocks the next day. Nuke it for a few seconds or cold from the fridge. Sometimes I'll go halfway and nuke it just long enough to take some of the chill off but not actually heat it.

• 1 month later...

Ok I love cold pizza and cold spaghetti!! My favorite thing to eat the next day is Green Chili Stew because after it has sat in the frige over night all the flavors mix wonderfully. As for the rice thing I grew up eating rice cooked, then add milk, butter, sugar, and cinnamon for breakfast and its great! You should atleast try it once lol. I like to make chili out of left over pinto beans (the dry ones you cook on the stove for a couple of hours), and as for left over rice what better to make then Mexican Rice. Well I told ya I was hispanic lol we dont like to waste.

Seductive, I've been following your trail of latest posts here on the forum. You are a fantastic cook! Lol, lately I've been looking at finding ways of getting more beans and rice into my diet, and your descriptions of ingredients and methods is inspiring. Green chilli soup, rice with cinnamon, sugar and milk?

wow

:P

gogo

• 2 months later...

oooh, guess what I did with some next day cold left-over french fries...

muhahhah...

I figgered that they were basically all seasoned yumminess... so I just threw em into a blender with some milk and butter...

Ta dah!

Mashed potatoes

Deeeeeeeeeeeellish

:D

gogo

heh, thanks ^^

Actually.. the cool thing is that for me to figure out exactly how to use leftovers...I have to "look" at the stuff for awhile...so that I can "grok" it...know what I mean?

And then once I really get a feel (mentally of course) for it's texture and taste... lol, I know this sounds weird...I can then kinda figure out what it's going to be good as.

In this case, the mashed potatoes was a very last minute thing...but I had this idea of actually making a small sauce pan of chicken bouillion and then throwing the old french fries in...sort of like a potato soup...

What do you think?

gogo

heh, thanks ^^

Actually.. the cool thing is that for me to figure out exactly how to use leftovers...I have to "look" at the stuff for awhile...so that I can "grok" it...know what I mean?

And then once I really get a feel (mentally of course) for it's texture and taste... lol, I know this sounds weird...I can then kinda figure out what it's going to be good as.

In this case, the mashed potatoes was a very last minute thing...but I had this idea of actually making a small sauce pan of chicken bouillion and then throwing the old french fries in...sort of like a potato soup...

What do you think?

gogo

Well I couldn't believe that others have thought the same but with chowder, you might be onto something :P

Ahh, that's brilliant...what a wonderful find! See, leftover french fries has always eluded me. Once they go old, the little tubers are all hollow, nothing inside them, all that's left is the outside fried husk that's pretty salty. I was thinking that pretty much the only way to make them get good again was to moisturize them... and how to do?

For awhile, I'd just throw them into a bowl with some sun-dried tomato dressing and then just nuke the bowl in the microwave...they'd actually turn out pretty tasty..and that's what got me thinking to try them as starring elements in their soup.

I'd forgotten completely about clam chowder...chowders especially, as they're composed mostly of potatoes. In fact, at this restaurant I know, one of the best soups they used to serve was.... dom dom dom... potatoe and bacon soup!

Woot woot...here's three cheers for the resurrection of french fries with class.

gogo

Sorry guys I have been quiet for a while buncha stuff happening at home. French Fries in a blender? A stroke of genius Gogo ( is that why the last half of your name is Blender? )I am surprised you didn't add a little cheese. cheese.gif

But reading back a few replies has given me an idea, I don't know if it is hidden somewhere in the forums but what about a thread ( maybe not it might be a short one) about when you cook. Do you taste as you cook? Or do you just add ingredient's because you know what the outcome will be? ( the second way is the way I cook I hardly ever taste while cooking)

I'm always hungry while I'm cooking so I'm always tasting. The unfortunate side effect of this is that sometimes by the end after I'm done with the dish.. lol , I'm not hungry anymore :)

Adding the cheese to the fries would have been interesting. I must say...running the fries through the blender resulted in a texture and flavor that I've never tasted before...salted, fried, sort of smoky...very deep flavors...overall I was quite impressed.

lol, and you know...just buying fries and turning them into mashed this way is so much easier than all of that boiling and peeling the old fashioned way :explode:

Maybe next time I'll friends over and serve it to them and have them wonder at the secret of Blender Potatoes

:)

gogo

haha gogo this is a must try! I don't really like chips (fries) but I'll do them in the oven all sea salty and peppery maybe some spices, so blitzed blended version of this as mash .....sounds good! What a great idea! :):explode: