Is nuking plastic safe?

hey guys!

Someone at work said it wasn't...that some sort of "vapors" come out of the plastic and are bad stuff. Is this true? I'd always read that plastic was safe. I nuke food containers on a daily basis...and yeah I know they sort of make the plastic get all ripply and stuff...but poisonous gases?

Oh c'mon....right?

*scoffs then keels over*

:(

gogo

I suppose we have to trace back the type of plastic that's in question. Its sad that there isn't a chemical label on plastic container, it would easily tell us how durable it would be, and how bio-degradable it is.

I do stay away from heat plastic things whenever possible, but I'm not convinced about plastic gas causing cancer. Its not a gas we breathe on obviously, but its another thing to say it causes cancer. What, how, how much? Even in the research world, there are so many rumors going on its awful.

Oh Guys! Here Check this place out for all those strange legends we hear about every day :D

This is just an urban legend spread to scare those about microwaves! *shudder* the evils of technology!! :P

Some plastic containers, styrofoam ones as well, do tend to melt when heated. even if it is not poison or carcinogenic, it is less than appetizing.

Test your containers before using them, I'd say. Commercially provided (Rubbermaid, Tupperware, etc.) storage and reuse products generally indicate "Safe for microwave use" on them if that is an intended use.

Yup depends on the plastic, heat resistant plastic or plastic designed for cooking should be fine, but steer clear of plastics you aren't sure about.

:mafia:

~Doom

• 2 weeks later...

They give off stuff that can cause cancer I belive and Nalginies which are B4 plastice are cancer causing placstics that incraese your estrogen levels... and I know I spelt allot of stuff wrong

hehe Guys Im telling you this is an urban legend! its simply not true! :)

Some get me kinda miffed, the one that turned me into searching for answers was an email I received saying my sons baby shampoo was made with formaldehyde! This actually got me angry! Some people enjoy scaring others and the cancer causing myth is one of those.

I don't use plastic for cooking, I just can't stand the smell it's producing once it get's warm or even hot..

however, I sometimes store prepared food in plastic-ware/dishes.. but I only put stuff into it that's already cold.

oh, and btw.. I don't use a microwave neither...

pps:

sorry, I and my poor english+skillz: I don't recognize the term 'nuking plastic'..

do you really mean you 'burn' plastic in your backyard or somewhere else?^^

or should I think of 'preparing food/dishes' using plastic cookware? :)

I once 'nuked' plastic toys when I was a little young curious boy, secretly in my room... of course I believe that it can't be healthy inhaling those toxic gases that are freed in the process^^

however, I was lucky and no harm was done (except for ruining those toys ofc)

Edited by Rotluchs

here a gas, there a gas, everywhere a gas gas....

C'mon... won't this build up our tolerance?

:)

And I do wonder when I see plastic tupperware coming out of the microwave all wrinkled...where did all that plastic go?

:P

gogo

p.s. Rotluchs, no microwave? Heretic! :)

p.s. Rotluchs, no microwave? Heretic! :)

uh, oh? well, (cat's and) I prefer meat fresh and raw :P ^^

but, someday even I may buy one.. but, not for cooking... have some old plastic toys left, and there's so much other stuff one can put into a microwave.. hehe, have to google for it again.. what about crayons, glue, marshmallows, eggs... almost no limits...

Edited by Rotluchs

woah...and we were all just talking about where the plastic all goes?

:blink:

All that plastic now becoming "disposable"...I read somewhere that it takes about three hundred years for just a small sized plastic bag to decompose.

I'll stick to normal dishes me thinks for now.

:)

gogo