The Bread Thread

Waiting for someone to start up the bread thread ^^

One of my friends, the busy father of three girls, as a relaxing hobby of his, makes all kinds of bread. His wife got him one of these:

352251.jpg

And now whenever he's stressed out...he makes bread :) Course, all the rest of use get to snack on leftovers whenever we visit, and boy...does getting a tinned loaf of fresh made bread ever look, smell and feel great..specially in the tummy.

:D

gogo

Oh you are dead on gogo, there's this auntie across the street when I was living in California (during my college time). Omg just the smell of fresh bread is enough to smother anybody. Gosh all these food talk is making me hungry, even though I had my meal already. :)

Waiting for someone to start up the bread thread ^^

One of my friends, the busy father of three girls, as a relaxing hobby of his, makes all kinds of bread. His wife got him one of these:

352251.jpg

And now whenever he's stressed out...he makes bread :) Course, all the rest of use get to snack on leftovers whenever we visit, and boy...does getting a tinned loaf of fresh made bread ever look, smell and feel great..specially in the tummy.

:D

gogo

Ahh, yes. I use a kitchenaid(sp) myself. Nothing like fresh baked bread with real butter melted in. Before I got married and still lived with my mother, we stopped buying bread for months. I would bake bread on monday, wednesday and friday. As I recall, it was french bread or white bread on monday. Cheese bread on wednessday and rolls or sweets on friday. And then there were the experiments.....

I made cheese bread for a friends mother....the normal cheese bread just didn't do it for her. So I made a couple of loaves for her, but mixed in quarter-inch cubes of chedder and jack into the dough.

Best bread my friend ever made for us was this chees bread (wonderfully yellow) which beautiful bits of olive and deli meats in it. Deeeeeelish.

:)

gogo

p.s. Sil, send over some of that bread!

p.s.s Myles... I can't think of much else that smells much better. It's a terrific memory... someone should bake it into a cologne.

p.s.s Myles... I can't think of much else that smells much better. It's a terrific memory... someone should bake it into a cologne.

:) You almost killed me with this. Bread cologne baking. :D

Don't tell me, it will call "The Fresh" by FDM, available in every bakery near you. :P

OMG fresh baked bread! with tons of butter and don't foget a sprinkle of cruchy sea salt!...*droolz*

I want some now!

Sea salt sprinkled on bread? Very interesting, but now having read it I can see that it is something that I want to try.....

We have a bread down here in the islands that comes from Cuba. I don't know much about it but do know 2 things. 1. it is lard based 2. you will not taste anything better

Gogo if you ever come down here come here for a week I will introduce you to a whole new world of food.f080.gifand send you back home a whole lot heaver *lol*

Fresh hot bread would have to be THE most favourite smell it just invokes so many memories. I wish I had the time to devote into bread making, I can just imagine how great it would be a stress reliever, much better than any medication.

Fresh hot bread would have to be THE most favourite smell it just invokes so many memories. I wish I had the time to devote into bread making, I can just imagine how great it would be a stress reliever, much better than any medication.

You are 100% right on all points.

The act of kneading the dough is a fantastic stress reducer. And in my house, it's always a show. The kids gather around and watch me; my son is saying "Daddy is so cool!".

Every so often I'll make pizza and I'll make a show of tossing the dough. Sometimes I make small loaves designed to look like the kids and let them eat them.

Before this thread was split off of the original I promised the instructions for my ham and cheese bread.....

I won't give instructions for the dough as I follow no recipe--the ratios are in my head. I will tell you that I sometimes use a basic french bread dough which is simply flour, yeast, water & a bit of salt. A stiff white bread dough works well also.

• Bread dough
  • 1-2 lbs good quality ham. Honey ham is good here.
  • 1-2 lbs muenster cheese.

1. Mix ingredients for dough and work it. Let it rise.
  2. During the first rise you should chop the ham into large pieces and then grind them in a food processor.
  3. Take the cheese and grind in the food processor. You are going for fine crumbles. A few tablespoons of flour in the processor will keep the cheese from forming a ball.
  4. Mix the ham and cheese and set aside.
  5. A basic bread dough will usually yield two to three loaves. Divide the dough and roll each into a long rectangle.
  6. For each piece of dough, you will want to take a portion of the ham & cheese mixture and form it into a log. Lay this down the center of the dough.
  7. Cut the dough on either side of the log into strips. Make sure you have the same amount on each side.
  8. Starting on the bottom, take a strip from the right and bring it to the left at an angle. Repeat on the left. Repeat these steps until you have reached the center of the loaf. Move to the top and work your way back to the center again.
  9. Let rise for about 30 minutes while you heat your oven to 375.
  10. Brush the top with beaten egg and bake until golden brown and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
  11. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before slicing.

One word of warning, take small pieces--this bread is very filling!

All this talk about bread MAN alive I have to get me a new Bread machine yes I know its cheating but when you have three kids and a busy schedule. its a life saver hmmmmm on second thought VAMPIE I want a K-Tech LOL.

All this talk about bread MAN alive I have to get me a new Bread machine yes I know its cheating but when you have three kids and a busy schedule. its a life saver hmmmmm on second thought VAMPIE I want a K-Tech LOL.

I wouldn't really call it cheating. My mom used to have one and it was pretty much set and forget. Put the stuff in before you go to bed, set the timer and in the morning you wake to the smell of baking bread.

My only problem with bread machines is that if your ratios are off you won't know until it's too late. By comparison, you will know what's wrong during the kneading stage and can make corrections. But with the bread machine specific mixes and recipe that are available, that is pretty much a non-issue.

Another idea is coffee-can bread. It's a yeast-batter bread that rises(and bakes) in a 2 lb coffee can. It ends up looking like a mushroom and is perfect hot with a pat of real butter.

Well with my hands being as bad as they are I have to use a bread machine because I just cant kneed the dough without alot of pain, so its a real life saver for me!

I do make some awesome cinnamon breads as well as garlic parmesan pizza dough.. yumm!! Need to get a couple batches going for tomorrow! :)

Id love to find a good dough mixer for my gingerbread though, that I still need to use my hands on.

• 6 months later...