Ok now I would like to official ask all of you who sent the dang snow here to New Mexico:) Last night we had over a foot of it and not that it isnt pretty and all but not a nice surprise to have to drive in after work at 11pm after work. So can someone please come over here and get your white slippery mess!!

Oh young nooblets you know nothing of snow until you've lived in Buffalo, NY. It's just not a winter unless a state of emergency is declared and the national guard is called in to shovel you out.

Most recent(when I had to shovel of my roof so it didnt cave in):

"In 24 hours, 35.4 inches of snow fell from 6 a.m. Thursday December 27th, 2001 to 6 a.m. Friday December 28th, 2001. That amount ranks as a 2nd place finish for the greatest snows dropped in any one day on Buffalo. 82.3 inches of snow fell in a period of one week (from Monday December 24th, 2001 to Friday December 28th, 2001)."

And the highlight of my time in Buffalo-living through the largest amount of snow in a 24-hr period...37.9 inches (That's over 3 feet or 1 meter for you metric folks :blink:) December 9/10 1995. I missed 4 days of school for that one

The chart of Buffalo snow: http://www.buffalonian.com/history/article...ostopsnows.html

Snow isn't slipery when you got the right tires or if you have driven before on snow :blink: black ice in the other hand is allways really slipery and hard to spot.. but that is something you won't see before it's been -20 or -30C (from -4 to -22 fahrenheit) for a week or so.

Ah yes Being a bit further east of Buffalo, I understand those snow depths very well!

Heck last winter we were hit with an equivalent storm and one broken snow shovel to move it with! LOL Thankfully I bought a new one yesterday so Im ready :blink:

snowthumpage.jpg

Oh wow thats even more snow than the snow falls of my childhood! well maybe once we got hit that 'badly' but I am soooo jealous and I know it's not great for driving, shovellling etc BUT but but but I know you must hate me for it I LOVE the stuff, it's magical! everything looks beautiful even sounds different. I can't explain the excitement I feel when it starts snowing here. I just have to run outside and watch it fall then play around in it making foot prints, snowmen etc if we are lucky enough to get that much.

So yeah please send it all to me :blink: My poor kids seem to also have the feelings I have for snow they go bonkers when they see it and couldn't look enough at the pics you have posted! haha maybe if we had it like you did I'd have a different opinion but for now I want it all!

Crunches off through the snow :)

Anyone remember the movie "The Perfect Storm"? Based upon fact, one of those storms came through Minnesota, and dropped about three feet of snow between Halloween and November 2, 1991.

That was our "welcome" here -- we had just moved from Southern California. We got another 25 inches at Thanksgiving, too. All in all about 60" that November -- the snowiest month ever int the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St Paul.

Box it up and ship it here Vampie, we're a little low right now,

The snows of Buffalo are legendary. I'd even heard that most people owned a pair of stilts in addition to boots when wading through waist-high snow :)

Well, the snow's arrived here as well. Montreal used to have it's share of the magical white stuff for a long time, but lately with global warming et al, it's turned into nothing but windy days with an occasional downpour. Last year was an almost "balmy" winter with perhaps only two days that dipped anywhere below even fifteen...ahhh, a summery winter ^^ Well, it looks like the luck was too good to hold on to and its' come back with all of the wrath it missed from last year. When looking out our windows, drifts, dirty slush, howling winds and slippery sidewalks meet the pedestrian with the message:

Winter's here

:)

gogo

Hehe, it's not fun to wake up late for work, (as I often am) to find your car and driveway totally covered in snow like in the picture in Ari's post. Even worse if you find out that the car won't start because of the cold, after you've shoveled of all the snow. Time to call in sick and go back to bed :)

Yeah gogo YOU may have only had 2 below 15 degree days, down here in NH we had several weeks of neg 40 degree weather as canada "exported" its cold air to us.... you can have it back. *lol* We wont miss it one bit.*G*

As to the snow, I'm so glad someone else got to share in the "lovelyness" of it ... *yuck* ... We've had black ice, snow, freezing rain and low temps already here in NH ... I've had enough winter I'd like spring since we didnt get one last year nor autumn either...

Ok well I love snow if I can stay inside and drink cocoa and not have to drive. Here in New Mexico we get so little and when we do have snow I make Evil drive hahaha so this has been a surprise. Last night the roads were really slick and since we dont get much of it none of us bother with the "right" tires lmao. They say we are in for a wet winter. OH BOTHER! Well, I am just gonna suck it up and be happy because the kiddos are loving it.

Well, I am just gonna suck it up and be happy because the kiddos are loving it.

You're a courageous woman, SV...couldn't have said it better. Experiencing life through the eyes of your children...

If there's any thing that can get us into the spirit of adventure, it's certainly got to be the smiles that light up the faces of kids whenever they see snow.

Good post!

:D

gogo

• 3 weeks later...
Snow isn't slipery when you got the right tires or if you have driven before on snow :) black ice in the other hand is allways really slipery and hard to spot.. but that is something you won't see before it's been -20 or -30C (from -4 to -22 fahrenheit) for a week or so.

Um, black ice will form around 0C... and snow is slippery whether you have great snow tires or not :) I don't know what magical winter land your roads are built on, but, here in Atlantic Canada our bad conditions begin much earlier in the weather scale than yours :) Maybe it's related to relative humidity:)

snow can be slippery even with the right tires and experience. if its bitterly cold and the snow gets "crunchy" it doesnt compact, it slides over its self leaving you with no traction.

I have a large supply of that slippery snow from sunday id gladly ship ANYWHERE but here to make it go away... about a foot and more on the way wed, fri and maybe next sunday :-(

mother nature and old man winter need some head and shoulders.... thier dandruff is littering my yard

snow can be slippery even with the right tires and experience. if its bitterly cold and the snow gets "crunchy" it doesnt compact, it slides over its self leaving you with no traction.

Right. Or if conditions are how they've been here the past week, between -12 and -4, and the snow is in that consistency just in between a "dry" snow and a heavy "wet" snow it does much the same thing; forming layered sheets on the road that readily slip over one another.

Haven't seen snow in two weeks or so, so it's going to be snow free x-mas for sure.. but who will save the polar bears that are running around in our streets? (it's only a legend) :)

This same thing happened last year and snow came back somewhere between jan and feb whit some real cold weather.. (-20 to -30C)

Haven't seen snow in two weeks or so, so it's going to be snow free x-mas for sure.. but who will save the polar bears that are running around in our streets? (it's only a legend) :)

This same thing happened last year and snow came back somewhere between jan and feb whit some real cold weather.. (-20 to -30C)

That's how our winter weather's been in the past 5-10 years; unusually warm with no snow until mid-January and February then it hits with some really cold weather for two weeks to a month, holds on for a while and winter's over. This year we're getting a more classic winter it seems. We got snow in mid-November and it's been hanging around since. It's been a while since it's been like this.

If you guys are hungry for snow, come on down to Montreal and see what's going on ...the last two days, lol, even today! (just looked outside :)) we've been snowed upon hard. Forty centimetres in about a day and a half with even more expected all day today :OCovered with white, roads under heavy plowing, just like the old days.

hey... who remembers snow suits?

:)

gogo