Your Christmas menu

erialc

Can't wait to see what you come up with, I am still trying to work out what to have on the 25th, got some parts but trying to fill in the blanks, hopefully you can give me some ideas.

Well as you can see from the above quote Funki has really inspired me to ask you all what you will be making for your festive dinner. Yes Funki you included and :4rofl: Thanks for the inspiration!

On the day itself around 18 of us gather at one of the houses and have lunch, sadly my house is dolls house size so I escape a huge cook but I think I would be terrified for 18 looking at my tiny oven LOL.

Saying that on Saturday I am doing an early xmas lunxh for some mates and the kids, I am still working out the menu (everyone wants traditional (ish)). I do have a nightmare getting the timing right to be honest, so I was thinking that as one of them is making up some roast chicken (none of us like Turkey really) I'm doing the rest, I thought maybe creamed leeks, the usual sprouts with parma ham and chestnut chunks, chantonay (I think thats em) little sweet carrots, mash and roast spuds and roasty honey parsnips, stuffing balls....and then the meat side of it.....now my oven is small and I will make a lot the night before so will be using the oven for the warm up and the Yorkshire Puddings. I thought small individual fillets of maybe lamb and beef that I can seer in a hot frying pan then wap into the oven for a fast roasting along side the yorkie puds.

I haven't thought of the starter or the desert but I would love to add a twist to that tradional fare and ofc steal your ideas! muwahahaha

But I would loooove some other ideas to inspre me!

Our Christmas dinners are inspired because I am from Italian heritage and because our climate is far too hot to have the "traditional" meal.

So all I have so far that is a definite spinach/ricotta cannelloni, oysters (fresh), prawns (fresh or garlic not sure yet), scallops (seared on the bbq), lemon sorbet for refreshing the palette between meals.

Now thats where FDM comes into the picture, I need some inspiration on whats next. :4rofl:

Edited by Funkilicious

OMG *droolz* Funki I would love to serve up a dinner like that! it sounds sooo refreshing and yummy!...Do you make your own sorbet? I would love to make a lemon sorbet the shop ones never seem to xcome up to scratch! I have no great ideas for you though I am too busy drooling atm!

OMG *droolz* Funki I would love to serve up a dinner like that! it sounds sooo refreshing and yummy!...Do you make your own sorbet? I would love to make a lemon sorbet the shop ones never seem to xcome up to scratch! I have no great ideas for you though I am too busy drooling atm!

Yep I was given an icrecream maker a couple of years ago, so make gelati, sorbet and icecream. Homemade is the way to go, beats Baskins hands down. The one I have is Gelateria

Edited by Funkilicious

Is there a way to do it without the ice cream machine Funki? ( wow that machine looks awesome I can just imagine the fun me and kids could have coming up with ideas for ice cream) I just looked back at what you posted and the one word that leaps out at me is Fresh!...ahh our different climates. the one thing I did think of making for a nibbler was some chocolate and nut biscotti, they are soo lovely with a very strong coffee after dinner.

Edited by erialc
Is there a way to do it without the ice cream machine Funki? ( wow that machine looks awesome I can just imagine the fun me and kids could have coming up with ideas for ice cream) I just looked back at what you posted and the one word that leaps out at me is Fresh!...ahh our different climates. the one thing I did think of making for a nibbler was some chocolate and nut biscotti, they are soo lovely with a very strong coffee after dinner.

Claire here is a receipe that details how to make it by hand (time consuming but worth it) I would increase the lemon peel quantity, because I like the tartness and helps refresh so much more.

Great choice, in the biscotti, do you double bake them:)

ahh Thanks for the recipe, this I have to try! Well erm.... :4rofl: I have never made biscotti before but saw a great recipe on tv hehe and they were double baked and made my mouth water. LOL my poor kids and mates have no idea how much I will be experimenting on them all! I am stuck for deciding on a starter though. I think our traditional British xmas dinner can tend to be a bit heavy really so I would love to do something new light and refreshing. Any ideas?

I have one mate who hates seafood and my kids can be iffy but they all love smoked salmon, asparagus are fantastic here atm, green beans :4rofl: now you have me Funki my mind has gone blank, figs are great ofc this time of year too lots of fresh ones about. hehe help I have no starter but I m seriously making the sorbet for in between, so that leaves desert and a starter.

Ok what about these

Barbecued asparagus with prosciutto (serves 6)

6 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced length ways

2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed

Method

1. Wrap a slice of prosciutto around an asparagus spear. Repeat with remaining prosciutto and asparagus.

2. Preheat barbecue or grill on high. Cook asparagus on barbecue or hot grill, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until just tender.

or

Asparagus and Smoked Salmon Bundles and basil aioli sauce

1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves

Pinch salt

Pinch freshly ground black pepper

4 to 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon (1 slice per asparagus spear)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Lay the asparagus on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt, and pepper. Roast until cooked and starting to brown around the edges, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to another baking sheet to cool.

Once the asparagus have cooled, wrap each spear in a slice of smoked salmon. Arrange on a serving platter and serve at room temperature with aioli sauce

Basil aioli

2/3 cup of mayonnaise (either fat free to whole)

2 tsp fresh lemon juice

2 garlic cloves crushed

2tbs chopped fresh basil

Combine all season with pepper, for a thinner consistency, if desired, gradually add 1-2 tablespoons cold water, whisking until smooth and well combined.

or

Prawn, fig and prosciutto with lime aioli (serves 12) maybe replace the prawn with salmon

12 firm, ripe figs, halved

36 cooked king prawns, peeled (tails left intact), deveined

30 slices prosciutto, halved lengthways

Lime aioli

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

3 egg yolks

1 lime, juiced

pinch of sea salt

1 cup olive oil

Method

Make lime aioli: Place garlic, egg yolks, 2 tablespoons lime juice and sea salt in a food processor. Process until well combined. With the motor running, slowly add oil until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate.

Wrap each fig half and prawn in a strip of prosciutto. Secure with toothpicks. Arrange on a plate. Serve with lime aioli.

and for dessert

Frozen chocolate buche de noel (yule log)

Ingredients (serves 8)

3 large eggs

125g caster sugar

1/3 cup (50g) plain flour

1 tbs cornflour

3 tbs (1/4 cup) good-quality cocoa*, plus extra to dust

1.2L good-quality vanilla ice cream

2 tbs Grand Marnier

200ml thickened cream

2 tbs icing sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Halved strawberries and mint, to serve

Method

Preheat oven to 180°C (not fan-forced). Grease a 23cm x 38cm Swiss-roll pan and line with baking paper.

Beat eggs and caster sugar with electric beaters until very pale and light. Sift in flour, cornflour and cocoa, and fold in with a metal spoon to combine. Spread mixture evenly into slice pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until sponge starts to come away from sides of pan. Allow to cool.

Meanwhile, remove ice cream from the freezer to soften until spreadable.

Invert cake to a board and carefully brush with the Grand Marnier, then spread with the softened ice cream using a warmed palette knife. Working quickly, roll cake from the longest edge into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours or until firm.

When ready to serve, whip the thickened cream with the icing sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.

Remove the log from the freezer and place on a serving platter. Spread the whipped cream mixture all over the cake and use a fork to create decorative lines like a those of a log. Return to the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up, then dust the log with a little extra cocoa. Decorate with strawberries and mint leaves, then serve immediatelyor

Raspberry Custard Trifle

Ingredients (serves 6)

3/4 cup brewed espresso coffee

1/2 cup coffee liqueur (such as Kahlua or Tia Maria)

250g packet sponge finger biscuits

3/4 cup thickened cream, whipped

1 litre Premium Vanilla Custard

250g fresh or frozen raspberries

70g good-quality dark chocolate, grated

Method

Combine espresso and liqueur in a shallow dish. Dip sponge fingers, 1 at a time, into coffee mixture. Place, in a single layer, over base of a 2-litre capacity serving bowl.

Fold cream through custard until just combined. Spread half the custard mixture over sponge fingers. Top with half the raspberries and half the chocolate.

Repeat biscuit and custard layers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight, if time permits. Place remaining raspberries and chocolate in separate containers. Cover and refrigerate

Top trifle with remaining raspberries and grated chocolate just before serving.

Edited by Funkilicious

My family adopted a tradition of quiche for Christmas. My daughter does not eat meat, and my wife eats very little of it. Broccoli/mushroom/onion quiche made with cheddar and swiss.

Need to have the flaky crescent rolls too, and usually a nice spinach or other greens salad with almond slivers and mandarin orange wedges. And of course a nice Mosel wine to boot.

I also generally lead of with a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout as well. The best beer I can get here . . . oh how I miss my Watney's.

Christmas diner in my house usually consists of several Indonesian dishes and I may add some American dish if I am in the mood.

Most likely there will be Brenabon(sp) for the kids. It's a bean soup. Think Cajun red beans but in a soup and you wouldn't be far off. Or there will be Baso Soup.

wow Funki thanks for the recipes! I think I'll go for the Asparagus and Smoked Salmon Bundles and basil aioli sauce...mmmm.

Gial your lunch sounds lovely and fresh! No Watneys to be found there at all? not even on one of those rather over priced ex pat stores to be found online? I know once when I looked for something for a friend I think it was sweets I was astounded at the prices they charge though.

Ahh Sil a spicy dinner with bean soup sounds wonderful too! Will you do a lot of the cooking Sil?

Thanks guys there are so many interesting menu's here it's so inspiring to read about what you will all be making! woo hoo keep them coming!

SV287%20ribbe%200904.jpg

Christmas pork ribs (Ca 500 g pork ribs pr person)

Score the rind. Rub with salt and pepper 1 or 2 days before roasting. Pour 2 dl (3/4 cup) water into the roasting dish, and cover the ribs with foil. Roast in the middle of the oven at 230°C for 30 - 40 minutes. Remove the foil and lower to 200°. Roast spare ribs for a further 1 1/2 hours and midribs for a further 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Leave for 20 minutes before carving

Serve with pork sausage patties, Christmas sausages, the juice, apples, prunes, red cabbage, red whortleberries and any other family favourites. :yay:

oooo and put a teaplate upside down under it before you put it inside the oven (just to get some of the fat to drip down into the roasting dish rather them staying on the ribs) :(

Ahhh Funki! it was awesome...really....the food was going to be ready as a sort of we'll eat when we eat but the whole day/night was great fun. The sorbet recipe you gave me was wicked and it all soon got finished off! My oven was veeery tired by the end of the day though LOL We managed the 3 courses though and everyone got to take home a ton of left overs hehe buggars forgot to leave some for us....I think thats a compliment eh? Oh and the asparagus I forgot to buy some fresh basil :) so I made for the first time a champagne sabayon which I was astonished turned out great!

How are you doing with your menu for Christmas day? hehe your ears should have been burning as we talked about your menu and it's freshness, ehhh you have all that sunshine and beautiful beaches! lol they all wondered if you would like to do an xmas swap one year!

How are you doing with your menu for Christmas day? hehe your ears should have been burning as we talked about your menu and it's freshness, ehhh you have all that sunshine and beautiful beaches! lol they all wondered if you would like to do an xmas swap one year!

I have been so Christmas partied out this week, (I work for various companies) each had a Christmas party and my last one was yesterday, not counting the ones that my Partner gets invites to as well....I am so glad to have 4 weeks off starting right now :) so havent had a chance to think further about next Tuesday, though we are sitting down seriously today to nut the menu out.

Our favourite local seafood shop opens at 3am Christmas eve and if we dont get there by that time, we will end up in a queue that goes for ever ( I have seen the queue snake down the road for a couple of blocks in past years)

A Xmas swap, lol now thats a thought (still trying to get my head around being that cold though brrrrrrr)

Well I wanted to get away from the usual, and my husbands boss gave us a gift that was just awesome!

261490193_f43d3cfbcc.jpg

We had the most tender moose tenderloins that had incredible flavor! (No muskiness what so ever) as well as so tender you could cut it with a fork and thats cooking it well done! served with garlic herbish red potatoes :4rofl:

moosetender.jpg

aaa moose :4rofl:

sadly its a loong time before we can get our hands on moose meat over here (without buying it that is)

anyway it looks delicious :P

Ahhh 4 weeks off Funki! have a blast, do you have any plans other than lots of chilling out? and a 3am shop...eeek....hope you didn't have to queue Funki!

Moose! wow can't say I've ever tried that...looks delicious on the plate though Ari. Is it similar to venison or buffalo?...mmmm...Mooose...yum yum!

hmm I don't remember honestly how close it is to venison, its been so many years since Ive had it. Moose here is quite rare unless you know someone who won the hunting lottery for a chance to go out to hunt one. oh and of course if you hit one with a car (and lived) the game wardens Might let you keep the meat. :D

hehehe only if it was really close to Christmas... they wouldve had the whole year to be rested and the meat should be more tender! >:E hehehe The day after christmas would be a much tougher meat! :D