NEW Project: Sacred 2 Purist Fixpack

Flix

4 hours ago, Flix said:

Seems to me, PFP is not installed properly on your system. The mod is packaged just like mine always are. Maybe an extra folder got added when you extracted the zip file?

Sitting directly in your game's MODS folder should be 4 folders: PFP Christmas Patch, PFP Disk Version Patch, PFP Docs, Purist Fixpack 1.3.

If this is not the case, I'd advise revisiting how to extract files into the MODS folder.  You want the contents of the zip file going directly into the MODS folder. Don't let Windows or Winzip or whatever utility is extracting the files create a folder to contain the files.

Sorry, my bad.

I got fooled by the JSGME installer and perhaps Hooyaah was too. I also noticed the Ice&Blood greeting screen.

Reason: when installing the mod pack JSGME complains about altered quests.txt and spawn.txt and defaults to NO (!) as the answer.

If you just hit ENTER to proceed, nothing gets installed.

Did the installation again and now all seems fine so far, besides that I am not seeing the PFP 1.3 version string in the main window but just the v2.65.1 build 1782.

But that maybe due to me running the german localized version, where the addtional string is perhaps not included?

Btw, I'm currently combing thru the german string files (again) to correct misspellings and errors.

If you still have notes of the string resources that you have amended or changed due to fixing/missing lore (not just the spelling corrections), could you perhaps let me know, so that I can include them into the german version too?

Flix, you mentioned that PFP Disk Version Patch was mot needed for digital game versions, right?

In the Main Menu it now reads: v.265 build 1837 en-UK PFP.1.3

2 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Flix, you mentioned that PFP Disk Version Patch was mot needed for digital game versions, right?

In the Main Menu it now reads: v.265 build 1837 en-UK PFP.1.3

Didn't do it for me (german localized version).

I've encountered a possible quest mixup earlier today after re-installing the PFP and starting a new char from scratch.

It seems the quest desc of 'Die Braut die sich nicht traut'  (engl. the bride who doesnt dare?) clashes with the Bild Guardian quest line in the log.

I've also somehow triggered the chapter 7 quest log page, though it is completely blank.

1905308936_sacred2questlog.thumb.jpg.943ee3732ea9ed5e153a4c15763ee916.jpg

I've just switched the german global.res with the english global.res from the PFP to make sure.

Now the quest shows up as the correct 'Blind Guardian groupies' quest in the log.

So the PFP is apparently not comaptible with any any other localized version of the game as quest resources have been altered/swapped.

I think that should be mentioned in the patch notes to avoid confusion.

Edited by jwiz
On 7/4/2022 at 12:28 PM, jwiz said:

I've just switched the german global.res with the english global.res from the PFP to make sure.

Now the quest shows up as the correct 'Blind Guardian groupies' quest in the log.

So the PFP is apparently not comaptible with any any other localized version of the game as quest resources have been altered/swapped.

I think that should be mentioned in the patch notes to avoid confusion.

Since I don't have the vanilla text files, I can use the CM localizations and work backwards to prepare for PFP.

When looking at the 2.65.1 global.res DE and EN, it is obvious the the german version has a ton of junk left in it.

Lines that are named 'obsolete' or 'no mod'  'Don'tt use' or have some kind of stage direction like <gasping> or are even left blank but for a single space.

Others starting with 'TEST:' which are clearly left over from earlier days.

Decoding both global.res gives quite some different summaries:

EN:
global.res ID = L10C
version number = 258
number of (sound) IDs = 140326
number of strings = 57989
number of Huffman tree nodes = 411
Huffman tree location:
first byte offset = 1257188 (decimal)
last byte offset = 1260479 (decimal)
tree size = 3292 bytes, including the number of nodes (4 bytes).
text tables printed OK

DE:
global.res ID = L10C
version number = 258
number of (sound) IDs = 133587
number of strings = 64721
number of Huffman tree nodes = 277
Huffman tree location:
first byte offset = 1311016 (decimal)
last byte offset = 1313235 (decimal)
tree size = 2220 bytes, including the number of nodes (4 bytes).
text tables printed OK

I wonder if that may cause some issues unless all the garbabe is cleaned out from the german global.res?

Edited by jwiz
On 7/4/2022 at 7:03 PM, jwiz said:

I've also somehow triggered the chapter 7 quest log page, though it is completely blank.

1905308936_sacred2questlog.thumb.jpg.943ee3732ea9ed5e153a4c15763ee916.jpg

The chapter VII thing is happening to me randomly too. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Can't pinpoint any specific cause. But important to note, that this has been happening even in PFP 1.2. Seems to cause no issues though, besides the visual one in the quest log.

Edited by idbeholdME
On 7/5/2022 at 4:27 PM, jwiz said:

I wonder if that may cause some issues unless all the garbabe is cleaned out from the german global.res?

CM cleared out a ton of stuff.  Not necessary at all, but that explains the size difference.

It's the swapped or missing strings which may cause issues. I'll just work backwards from the 1.60 texts, or maybe EE.  EE would be more work to retrofit for PFP, but I think there are much more text corrections present in those translations.

Spotted one more quest thing to fix:

Barazi's End. When you talk to the Reservist Leader in the cave who says they'll fight for the pasha to the end, they just start idly walking around instead of fighting either you or Thylius and his men.

A couple more notes:

1) The assassins that ambush you in the Differing Opinions quest are unarmed. They should probably at least have the basic weapons the bandit High Elves have in act 1.

2) Some points relating to Stone Guards.

- The basic melee Stone Guards with the mace seem to attack extremely slowly for some reason, with long pauses between swings.

- Stone Guards with a bow now have strange behavior. As long as you stay at a distance from them, they fire relatively slowly, as they always had. However, the moment you enter melee range, they enter rapid fire mode (firing like 3 times as fast compared to before) and never stop. Don't think that's been happening before 1.3. Their DPS is now through the roof. This guy was fighting a single Stone Guard Archer :D :

Spoiler

pincushion.thumb.jpg.75bedd1cf9a569cb6d6a4dd424ab45db.jpg

- I haven't encountered a single Elite Stone Guard since 1.3 that had both a melee and a ranged weapon. Has that sub-type been removed?

- Are the Stone Guards with the staves a restored sub-type? Don't remember seeing them before.

- Elite Stone Guard archers seem to be using an Ice Bolt instead of the melee CA they've had before. I assume this has been done to prevent them from running into melee immediately, but they've been doing pure Physical damage before. I presume this was done because there is no ranged physical spell for the enemies to use?

3) Elite Ghosts that deal mostly magical damage also have a top-down lightning spell. However, it seems its damage does not scale properly with their level or scales extremely slowly, way disproportionately compared to other enemy spells. With them being at level 69, it's hitting for like 12 damage and then ticks 4 times for 32 damage, which is basically nothing. They do double the total damage of the spell with a single normal hit and they hit fast. It's the nearly translucent ones. They can be easily found in the cave on Scorpion Island for example. I think I noticed some other enemies using the same spell, but can't remember off the top of my head.

ghost.jpg.533b956ff5e30145ae3b75b35d39e86c.jpg

4) A strange side effect of the 1.3 install. The Talisman Trophy has lost it's associated bonus and could no longer be used.

talisman.jpg.c0a1769ef7be670dbb34fc3576e4aa85.jpg

Had to drop the ones I had in inventory and go find another one (which had the bonus it was supposed to have). After doing that, picking up the bugged ones dropped earlier stacked together with the normal one in the inventory and all of them work fine now. I doubt anyone is using Alchemy, but just in case, mentioning it here.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Thanks! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Question about this change in the latest change log:

- Mutated Dragon boss now spawns correctly in the T-Energy Field.

What's the story behind this? I definitely do not remember ever seeing a dragon in the fields. Was he always supposed to be there but just had a bugged spawn or something? I doubt it's a custom addition considering the nature of the PFP. Just curious. Something dug out from the game files?

Edited by idbeholdME

It's among the many monster spawns that were restored in the first release. Thing is, he was never actually restored until this latest release due to an incorrect flag.  I'm just making good on the initial change.

• Like! 1
On 7/12/2022 at 3:35 PM, idbeholdME said:

The basic melee Stone Guards with the mace seem to attack extremely slowly for some reason, with long pauses between swings.

The result of the A.I. assigned, "Enemy_warrior_dumbattacker_lazy". I'm not sure this is a bug.  The devs actually wanted some enemies to not really care that much about you.  If you mean the big, 2h hammers, it's just kind of a slow animation.  I probably should add the Hafted Weapons skill to the Commanders to speed it up.  Currently they only have the Pole Arms skill.

the moment you enter melee range, they enter rapid fire mode

They use the "Enemy_warrior_simple_artillery" A.I.. Up til the point you come into melee range they're being somewhat lazy. They shoot, calculate what to do next, maybe shoot again.  Once you force melee they attack at their actual full attack speed continuously (granted by virtue of the Ranged Weapons skill the devs gave them). You'd never see their actual ranged attack capability before because they'd always switch to using the same melee weapons as the Stone Guards at the drop of a hat.

Are the Stone Guards with the staves a restored sub-type? Don't remember seeing them before.

It's the same three types as always: Guard, Archer, Commander (x2 for the elite variants). Guards have 1h melee, Archers have bows, Commanders have the 2h weapons.  Some of the weapons were not used before and others were used repeatedly so I redistributed the weapons throughout the types accordingly.

Elite Stone Guard archers seem to be using an Ice Bolt instead of the melee CA they've had before.

Originally they used Freezing Hard Hit. I chose the nearest ranged equivalent (Freezing Arrow) to avoid them running into melee for no reason.

Elite Ghosts that deal mostly magical damage

Well, they have very low Intelligence compared to their Strength and melee damage, which accounts for the discrepancy.  These ghosts and many other creatures have been rebalanced in EE & D2F, but I'm not sure this is really a bug.

A strange side effect of the 1.3 install. The Talisman Trophy has lost it's associated bonus and could no longer be used.

I think this happened because of editing the usagebits on the bonus to prevent it from rolling for characters who can't learn Alchemy. Might have been a mistake, since theoretically you'd want to be able to share Trophies between characters regardless of who can use them.  What character did you notice the missing bonuses with?

• Respect! 1
7 hours ago, Flix said:

The result of the A.I. assigned, "Enemy_warrior_dumbattacker_lazy". I'm not sure this is a bug.  The devs actually wanted some enemies to not really care that much about you.

I meant the very basic ones. But if it's a feature of that AI type then all good. Although I don't remember them swinging that slowly in 1.2. But could be because I only really fought them as a ranged character.

7 hours ago, Flix said:

They use the "Enemy_warrior_simple_artillery" A.I.. Up til the point you come into melee range they're being somewhat lazy. They shoot, calculate what to do next, maybe shoot again.  Once you force melee they attack at their actual full attack speed continuously (granted by virtue of the Ranged Weapons skill the devs gave them). You'd never see their actual ranged attack capability before because they'd always switch to using the same melee weapons as the Stone Guards at the drop of a hat.

So they lost their melee weapons? That would explain it. Also, interesting feature of the artillery AI. Do any other enemies use it? Can't say I noticed the behavior elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Flix said:

Some of the weapons were not used before and others were used repeatedly so I redistributed the weapons throughout the types accordingly.

Gotcha. The staff ones are definitely new. I was probably taken aback by them firing projectiles, due to staves being ranged by default.

7 hours ago, Flix said:

Originally they used Freezing Hard Hit. I chose the nearest ranged equivalent (Freezing Arrow) to avoid them running into melee for no reason.

Their melee hit was doing Ice damage? Didn't realize that. I just saw their damage composition bar as purely physical and assumed the hard hit was doing the same.

7 hours ago, Flix said:

Well, they have very low Intelligence compared to their Strength and melee damage, which accounts for the discrepancy.  These ghosts and many other creatures have been rebalanced in EE & D2F, but I'm not sure this is really a bug.

Ah, so not a problem with the spell itself, but inadequate enemy stats. Well, at least the lightning can still apply Weaken so it's not entirely useless 

7 hours ago, Flix said:

I think this happened because of editing the usagebits on the bonus to prevent it from rolling for characters who can't learn Alchemy. Might have been a mistake, since theoretically you'd want to be able to share Trophies between characters regardless of who can use them.  What character did you notice the missing bonuses with?

On my only character that has Alchemy - Seraphim. But as I said, I fixed it by going to farm a new Talisman Trophy in 1.3. That had the proper bonuses and then simply dropping the ones I already had and picking them up again stacked them into the working one, making them all usable again.

The only question left unanswered from my Stone Guard "questionnaire" :4rofl:.... is the one about Elites that had both melee and ranged weapons. They no longer seem to appear in the game. Probably also because they lost their melee weapons as the basic archer ones? I mentioned them before in here in this post:

And one more enemy related question. Noticed that Elite mounted goblins now have a couple new tricks up their sleeve. Summoning a normal goblin, and a blue colored spell that looks like the fire trap which many enemies already had before. Question is - what damage type does this blue spell deal? Ice? Or magic? I'd assume magic, since they normally deal 50% Physical, 50% Magic. It deals a decent amount of damage and farming the pig fields is not as trivial as it was before (which is a good thing). It seems to be doing both initial hit damage and also has a damage over time component.

trap.thumb.jpg.38648e1e9e9e5ff7dfc1ce62530da8c1.jpg

Edited by idbeholdME
On 3/28/2022 at 10:16 PM, Lindor said:

Oh yee Narmul definitely oneshots every char in higher difficulties, it's mandatory to not get hit even once if you want to survive. I think some characters can get incredibly high damage mitigation, but even 80% mitigation isn't enough to not get oneshot. It's the one boss making me backup my char before fighting:sweating:

Off-topic, but I remembered us talking about this, so just an update. I fought him before installing PFP 1.3 (so on PFP 1.2) on my ranged Shadow Warrior. Niob, level 175. And proud to say that he was not capable of one shotting me. His air attack and ground flame (the most dangerous attack) did about 40% of my health per tick (24K damage or so). So I survived the initial hit and one tick of the flame. Enough for me to heal and run out of the flames.

Pretty good, considering I only have Armor Lore and Constitution on him. Although, I am running three pieces with all channel damage mitigation (chest, shoulders, waist) and also have one Darwagon's Circlet socketed in. The combination of massive HP from Grim Resilience + decent amount of damage mitigation (35% or so) seemed sufficient. But yeah, mobility is extremely important when fighting him. Do not stay in one place for too long.

Fighting him as characters that don't have massive defense potential like Shadow Warrior or Seraphim is definitely going to be tricky.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • zomgod! 1

2x identical 'Helmets of the Thorns' as a reward from the 'Better Yields' quest on the Seraphim island?

Is that a fluke or something off with the quest drop pool?

2 hours ago, jwiz said:

2x identical 'Helmets of the Thorns' as a reward from the 'Better Yields' quest on the Seraphim island?

Is that a fluke or something off with the quest drop pool?

Can happen. Quests can reward 1 or 2 set items. You just happened to roll the same one for both items :D 

Moldered Skeleton Archers have lost their melee swap weapons. Not sure why this change was made as there wasn't a problem with them running into melee. The normal ones don't have any CAs so they used to shoot at range and swapped to melee when you got close. Now they behave the same as Stone Guards. Shoot normally and enter rapid fire when you get close.

I'd consider changing enemy gear sets unless absolutely necessary to fix something too big a change for the PFP. It is a unique aspect of Sacred 2 where enemies choose weapons depending on the situation and this change removes it.

Edited by idbeholdME
5 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Moldered Skeleton Archers have lost their melee swap weapons. Not sure why this change was made as there wasn't a problem with them running into melee. The normal ones don't have any CAs so they used to shoot at range and swapped to melee when you got close. Now they behave the same as Stone Guard.

Yep, running thru the swamp with my Drayd and though she doesn't really noctices that so much as a ranged char, it sure feels out of place when you step into melee range and the moldered archers dont swap to a melee weapon but rather fire their bows in rapid mode.

If they dont have any melee gear by default or lack any CA to use them, then they should rather try to back off until out of melee range when you approach, I suppose.

Occasionally, you see them re-position themselves, but I think that is rather due to a blocked line of sight.

Edited by jwiz
  • Thanks! 1
48 minutes ago, jwiz said:

If they dont have any melee gear by default or lack any CA to use them, then they should rather try to back off until out of melee range when you approach, I suppose.

They had melee weapons in the vanilla and before PFP 1.3.

I guess it's the result of this change:

More archer-type enemies will now use and prefer their bows.

Which is fine, but the enemy weapon loadouts should not be touched unless it's restoration/bugfixing, like with the Stone Guard weapons. Enemies preferring ranged is also fine, but they should still swap to melee, if they had them in vanilla and you get close to them. The problem was mostly concerning Elite versions of enemies with bows who had melee CAs, which caused them to run into you the moment they noticed you and then immediately swapped to melee, thus never fired their ranged weapons. The original fix was to just give these Elites ranged CAs instead of melee ones so they stayed at range. This fix worked great.

Also, another report:

Kral seems to be having some behavior issues. In 1.2, he had nice AI, alternating his attacks, using all the spells at his disposal. Now, he just quickly gets stuck performing normal melee attacks. No matter what you do or how much you run around, he will just keep chasing you forever in an attempt to bite you. No longer uses the laser projectile or the sonic scream after he uses them once, greatly reducing his combat capabilites.

Edited by idbeholdME
2 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Also, another report:

Kral seems to be having some behavior issues. In 1.2, he had nice AI, alternating his attacks, using all the spells at his disposal. Now, he just quickly gets stuck performing normal melee attacks. No matter what you do or how much you run around, he will just keep chasing you forever in an attempt to bite you. No longer uses the laser projectile or the sonic scream after he uses them once, greatly reducing his combat capabilites.

Did you destroy his recharging pylons?

Afaik, this was supposed to happen, if you did.

Edited by jwiz
1 hour ago, jwiz said:

Did you destroy his recharging pylons?

Afaik, this was supposed to happen, if you did.

I did, but I always do that first. I am 99% sure he continued using his special attacks in 1.2 even after destroying them. Although I can't really remember what the behavior was in vanilla.

Edited by idbeholdME

Was running thru the desert just before and noticed that the small scarabs do not seem to suffer the fate of being stuck in place passively after attacking them and moving out of range, as they often do with the CM-Patch and EE.

They large green scorps, though, still seem to back off passively after being hit with a detrimental spell like viperish disease or black curse.

P.S.:

the magical scorpion adds which the Garganthropod spawns, still seem to somehow 'inhert' its large melee attack range, but revert back to normal range after the Garganthropod dies and evaporates, when they become active again.

Edited by jwiz

As to Kral, he showed some strange behaviour too:

Upon entering he hit me with his sonic boom but during the fight I was kiting him thru the arena and all he did was following me, trying to melee attack me while recharging at the pylons ( see below)

Only after I destroyed another one of the 3 remaining pylons (out of habit I had destroyed the one next to his treasure chest and was plundering that before commencing the fight), he reverted to using all his abilities, like the sonic attack, the magical fireball etc.

It seem to me, that once you enter his melee attack range, he gets stuck in that unless you force him to change behaviour somehow.

Kral_sacred2_2022-07-25.thumb.jpg.bc28ea0cccaaeed459b162447b89d391.jpg