Oh the joys of a cool graphics card and a new computer

fRACTAL

Today 2 things happened.

First we cleaned my current computers graphics card which had been idling at 105 degrees C, it now runs at 53.

Second We ordered the rest of my computer the specs of which are as follows!

CPU: AMD X2 6400+ 3.2Ghz

VGA: Gainward 512MB Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT

Motherboard: SLi Compliant Asus AM2 slot.

PSU: SLi compliant 550W xclio

Case: Akasa eclipse case

Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy (got it free of my brother)

RAM: 4GB Corsair (4x1GB)

DVD Drive: LiteON DH....

HDD: 2 IDE drives of my current computer (both 70GB) and a 160GB Seagate Barracuda (SATA II)

[boast]I rather look forward to using it [/boast]

Honestly though it was good value only £500 pounds! I rather dread refilling my bank account though...

:bump:

~Doom

Good bet gogo - sound's like it'll run a LOT, but nothing can do more than "walk" Vista - hehe

105C - and it still works? wow. Think you must have had some real dust in there.

From my recent experience cooling off my cpu, I think this is a real problem - maybe THE real problem for all the "server instability" and ctd problems. Since I cooled mine, I've had but one "crashout" and that happened when I tried to join a game just as the only player I it was leaving.

Oh I'll be running XP no fear with vista :D

Although I wouldn't mind a dual vista/xp boot. Vista for DX10 Games that look a lot better in DX10

:bump:

~Doom

Nope not putting it together myself.

Also there was no carpet, the only thing that ahd happened was that my heat sink had become a dust sink.

The whole thing was full of dust at both ends, no airflow!

:drinks:

~Doom

Lol well that was basically what I meant :drinks:

But didn't you get any artifacts or anything while playing games? My old Nvidia 8500GT got artifacts as soon as temps came above 80-something degrees. Thank god the 8800 I have now is cool compared to the stock 8500GT :hugs:

How interesting...I've NEVER taken high temps for my comp seriously.

Does that really make a card act...just wonky before it conks out?

I mean...a lesser performance?

So you guys are saying that having a card running at a colder temp makes it work better?

:)

gogo

But didn't you get any artifacts or anything while playing games? My old Nvidia 8500GT got artifacts as soon as temps came above 80-something degrees. Thank god the 8800 I have now is cool compared to the stock 8500GT :)

Nope, it could just cause the equivalent of lag from time to time...

How interesting...I've NEVER taken high temps for my comp seriously.

Does that really make a card act...just wonky before it conks out?

I mean...a lesser performance?

So you guys are saying that having a card running at a colder temp makes it work better?

:BlobRed:

gogo

To the first yes

To the second yes

To the third guess what...yes :D

:hugs:

~Doom

Nice new toy Tim! I notice you got some Sli action going on there. *drools* Are you running two vid cards in it:) If you are I'm going to be so jealous and have to hate you for at least an entire day, lol. :viking:

Meh SLI/Crossfire is overrated :viking:

But since the vid card manufacturers are making their new high-end dual GPU setups (ATI has the new 3870 X2, and Nvidia will be releasing their 9800GX2) there will be more investing in multi-GPU setups, so I think the dual setups will be better supported in upcoming games :D

It IS SLi compatible, although I won't be running two cards.

But if I need more graphics power I can just buy another one and stick it in

:D

~Doom

:)Great new toys there Tim!

My son is drooling over the poster! hahaha! Ah hes young, He'll learn the coolest toys eventually!

I'll send you the poster if you like :)

I'll even throw in the books of tort law

:whistle:

~Doom

Only £500? Where did you get all the parts?

I'm wanting an upgrade myself, but money is tight. I need a new graphics card, but for PCIs I'd need a new motherboard. The best I can do just now is a 7800. Wouldn't mind a new processor either, and some more RAM wouldn't go amiss... Pipe dreams for now though.

I got all mine from scan

:)

~Doom

I haven't replaced my monitor or anything though. I would like a 20 inch rather than my 17 but yo ucant have everything

Edited by TimOfDoom