You know it's looking grim if Borg goes into VM

:)

But I do hear he has stocked up with beers - which in Borg's case probably means a semi-trailer full :4rofl:

Seriously though good luck Borg - Hope it all goes ok :)

Wow Thanks guys thblushing.gif Just got back on and Gogo had sent me a message about this thread. Actually storms/hurricanes are hard to predict cause once they leave Cuba they hit warm water and we have had a tropical storm turn into a class three hurricane. Luckily this time we lucked out just staid a tropical storm, just tons of rain. I had my car and motorcycle in a school parking lot a block away that was 6 feet higher than me. ( Remember this is a flat island highest point is only 17 feet above sea level) So everything looks o.k. That being said I went to work today and stopped at a store on the way home to buy bier.gifbeer what else? *lol* Opened the trunk of the car with enough water to have little fishes swimming am drying it out now.

Again guys thanks for the thoughts. And I am as of a minute ago out of my rare vm thx.gif

Edited by Borg

Glad to hear you okay and the car and bike are almost okay *lol*

Your story of your car reminds me of a thomas book where thomas gets fish in his boiler ... (sorry thomas is the youngest's favorite and I do mean favorite thing right now so I read more of his books than anything else lately ... thomas out ranks chocolate and cookies). Did you "catch" anything good to eat?

This is why we were worriedwilmauploadjpg.jpg This happened last time. There are porches under that water and sidewalks The water came up to the top of my motorycycle's windshield and on my Chevy Suv the water was 1/2 up the seatbacks!

the houses aren't on stilts there? saw that in south carolina near the coast. some benefits to living almost a mile high, no hurricanes and no flooding from ocean.

I can presume one can at least bbq with propane so all is not lost. can always bbq on a boat in yard!

best of luck with it all

Edited by trd

What I really would of had to have a picture of is the cats sitting on the bed watching their potties go floating thru the house and the look they gave me at the time - sort of like Well what the %@#$^ is this all about ? *lol*

I can only imagine the offended looks they gave you. I mean cat rules state no swimming ... *lol*

How are your belongings? Everything mostly salvagable?

lol, Borg..if anything can weather out a storm, it's gotta be cats. They've got super powers, dontcha know. And I'm curious... does everyone have insurance down their in the islands to cover this sort of stuff? Who pays for closure of businesses and transportation and all. Does each person's insurance cover it all? Or does the government have to chip in?

:D

gogo

Thanks Genenut and as to your question "How are your belongings? Everything mostly salvagable?" I'm assuming your reffering to the hurricane results in the picture not the last storm. The last one nothing got ruined but the one in the picture we pretty much lost everything, car, motorcycle, appliances etc..

And to your question Gogo. The insurance company's didn't cover anything. Seems they told people on the island your covered for hurricanes but this was a storm surge so no one is covered ! Well du jawdrop.gif what do they think the storm surge was caused by?

The government did "chip in" FEMA agency were handing out checks after they interviewed people to see if they deserved them or not. So that helped a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh great here we go again. 3.gifHurricane Gustov going by now, but at least its a long ways away so we only have high winds and rain. I feel VERY sorry for people up in the Gulf of Mexico who will be getting hit with a weak class five hurricane or a strong class four in the next couple of days. We also have Hanna coming at us here in Key West but at this point not sure what the size of that one will be

Edited by Borg

You hold tight Borg. Man, hearing about all these hurricanes... it's very difficult for me to "grok" these kinds of things happening. The most we've ever gotten in Montreal was the ice storm a few years ago...but oh what a woozy. Lucky for me, I was in Australia working when that heppenned, but apparently it drove thousands of peeps to shelters because all the power was killed for those days. Trees exploding because of ice-weight, heating homes from gasoline from cars...makes you appreciate what we've got.

canice.jpg

ice_pic10.jpg

iceus.jpg

:)

gogo

I've been the path of 2 in my life, one in the 80's, big one came up the east coast and hit CT pretty bad. 2nd one in the early 90's and it even made it to NH. Fortunately by the time they get up to New England they arent stronger than a catagory 1 so lots of wind and lots of rain and uprooted trees but not the damage they get in FL and the gulf and I've never lived close enough to the water to worry about storm surge,

But I have also lived through a half dozen earthquakes including one in NH a few years back. We were in Japan when the kobe quake hit. kobe was the port the military also used to get stuff to the military grocery stores (commisary) and the military version of walmart.

We had "fun" trying to find baby formula for a few weeks there ...

Urrrghhhh looking at that ice storms reminds me of yet another reason I left Canada *lol*

I'd rather be looking at this kind of picture than those :P

Just took this picture a couple of minutes ago

home.jpg

I was in Kobe back in the 60's Genenut.