Google Chrome

Timotheus

------------------------------

Chrome_nav_150x75.jpg

------------------------------

It's here, Google's new browser. Well, the beta, that is.

It's based on the rendering engine also found in Safari: Webkit.

It's faster than anything I've ever seen before and it's a pretty basic UI.

I say it's one awesome little browser!

Some interesting features:

• When you switch to Google Chrome, you can pick up where you left off with all the bookmarks and passwords from your existing browser.
  • Every tab you're using is run independently in the browser, so if one app crashes it won't take anything else down.
  • Don't want pages you visit to show up in your web history? Choose incognito mode for private browsing. [Hey gogo, check it out, it's got a pr0n mode :P]

Download the beta

Useful links:

Builds:

build.chromium.org

Powerguide:

lifehacker.com

Skins:

altasafayani.com

Google.com and Chrome: talkback? Disable if you don't want it:

mattcutts.com

Edited by Timotheus

You know Schot's grumbling right now huh ^^ Well, I downloaded it and, you're right Timo. It's fast. If this is just Beta, looks like there's a serious competitor out there. heh... is this Google's new OS? ;) Too bad about the only blue, but Chrome's open source, I bet there's going to be a gazillion add-ons popping out soon.

Great find Timo, I'm enjoying jumping around the net this morning, seeing how fast it pulls stuff up. Only thing that's stopping me from using it full time right away is that the scrollling function which I get when I click down on the mousewheel and then shoot to the bottom of a page doesn't work with Chrome.

Anyone got any ideas on that?

:)

gogo

p.s. oooh, incognito mode :P

Why google, why!? Oh not ANOTHER browser I need to correct forum errors for... :P Saw it on gogo's pc and it did seem to be quite fast. No wait. What am I saying... It's terrible! Yes that's it. Probably filled with viruses and stuff. You're all better off sticking with Firefox. Hehe. :)

Nice find Timo. ^^

You know Schot's grumbling right now huh ^^ Well, I downloaded it and, you're right Timo. It's fast. If this is just Beta, looks like there's a serious competitor out there. heh... is this Google's new OS? ;) Too bad about the only blue, but Chrome's open source, I bet there's going to be a gazillion add-ons popping out soon.

Great find Timo, I'm enjoying jumping around the net this morning, seeing how fast it pulls stuff up. Only thing that's stopping me from using it full time right away is that the scrollling function which I get when I click down on the mousewheel and then shoot to the bottom of a page doesn't work with Chrome.

Anyone got any ideas on that?

gogo

p.s. oooh, incognito mode ;)

Shut off numlock. Weird, I know, but it's a tip I've heard. Nevermind, that was for scrolling up with a touchpad... :P lol

No, there hasn't been any known fix for that. Except pressing [END] :P

Why google, why!? Oh not ANOTHER browser I need to correct forum errors for... :) Saw it on gogo's pc and it did seem to be quite fast. No wait. What am I saying... It's terrible! Yes that's it. Probably filled with viruses and stuff. You're all better off sticking with Firefox. Hehe. :D

Nice find Timo. ^^

ANOTHER? You mean Darkmatters isn't Safari compatible?

I'm not having any trouble so far anyway... Not with popups/menu's/etc

Edited by Timotheus

First bug has been found though...

Software:

Google Chrome Browser 0.2.149.27

Tested:

Windows XP Professional SP3

Result:

Google Chrome Crashes with All Tabs

Problem:

An issue exists in how chrome behaves with undefined-handlers in chrome.dll version 0.2.149.27. A crash can result without user interaction. When a user is made to visit a malicious link, which has an undefined handler followed by a 'special' character, the chrome crashes with a Google Chrome message window "Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed. Restart now?".

You don't even need to click the link, just the simple act of hovering over the link will crash it.

Anyway, I still like it a lot.

I hope they don't cram it full of stuff most people don't even need, and make it slow. It's speed is one of the big pro's of Google Chrome :P

Hmmmm. And another poster of Admin Zone pointed out some very unattractive bits of Google Chrome EULA:

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthr...3774#post373774

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

---End Quote---

That doesnt look cool. :|

I downloaded it and tested a bit, will wait for next release. some rendering errors were to be expected, but I would have figured they would have tested with sites such as foxnews.com, but not all are for that flavor of news.

bigger problems were with slowing down my system. sure it seemed fast loading, probably due to dns prefetch, but it would cause my system and mouse to pause when loading parts of pages. a romanian friend downloaded it and experienced the same thing.

Google on Chrome EULA controversy: our bad, we'll change it

By Nate Anderson | Published: September 03, 2008 - 02:56PM CT

Google's new web browser Chrome is fast, shiny, and requires users to sign their very lives over to Google before they can use it. Today's Internet outrage du jour has been Chrome's EULA, which appears to give Google a nonexclusive right to display and distribute every bit of content transmitted through the browser. Now, Google tells Ars that it's a mistake, the EULA will be corrected, and the correction will be retroactive.

As noted by an attorney at Tap the Hive and various and sundry other sites, the Chrome EULA reads like a lot of Google's other EULAs. It requires users to "give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and nonexclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."

"Services" seems like an odd way to describe a web browser, but the EULA makes clear that "Services" refers to "Google’s products, software, services and web sites." The EULA's indication that Google could republish anything even "displayed" in the browser sounded a tiny bit evil, even if Google might just be looking to stave off lawsuits.

Google has been in EULA trouble before over services like Google Docs. In that case, the company changed the terms of service to clarify that, in the words of a spokesperson, "Your fantasy football spreadsheets are not going to end up shared with the world unless you want them to be."

Here at Ars, our first thought on reading the EULA was that it looks a whole lot like the EULAs Google uses for other services, with the "content license" provision being an obvious example of this. In fact, that's basically what it was.

Google's Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome, now tells Ars Technica that the company tries to reuse these licenses as much as possible, "in order to keep things simple for our users." Ward admits that sometimes "this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don't apply well to the use of that product" and says that Google is "working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."

It's worth noting that the EULA is largely unenforceable because the source code of Chrome is distributed under an open license. Users could simply download the source code, compile it themselves, and use it without having to agree to Google's EULA. The terms of the BSD license under which the source code is distributed are highly permissive and impose virtually no conditions or requirements on end users.

So, there you have it: a tempest in a (chrome) teapot. Not that it's the only one; as Ina Fried of News.com points out, Chrome's "Omnibar" can also access all keystrokes a user types, and Google will store some of this information along with IP addresses.

For the latest builds: pick the highest number ofc!

(At the time of posting these major changes have taken place: EULA fixed, about:% bug fixed)

For skins (though not completely, the favorites bar still is blue-ish): a few basic Themes

At the moment I'm running the orange one, fits very well with my XP Zune theme :drool:

GoogleChrome.jpg

Btw, gogo, the mouse thingy is one of the things not enabled in webkit, so it's not a Chrome only-problem.

Edited by Timotheus

I actually switch back and forth between the two. Just trying to compare and see if I can get a "feel" for the better one. Must say though, that extra speed with google chrome is pretty compelling.

gogo

Well a HUGE bad thing about Chrome and IE8 is that they both has a built in keylogger (its called Google Suggest in Chrome and Suggested Sites in IE8) and they are sending everything your typing in the address bar and your browser history back to the respectively companys

I dont know about you all but as I see it this is yet another reason to stick with Firefox cos my browser history is just that MY browser history :4rofl:

Who's saying FF isn't doing that too?

Doesn't FF 3 have that function, that suggestion thing, as well?

Anyway, it can be disabled.

"Uncheck the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog box that says “Use a suggestion service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar.

Preventing paranoia: when does Google Chrome talk to Google.com?

Edited by Timotheus
Anyway, it can be disabled.

"Uncheck the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog box that says “Use a suggestion service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar.

And done!

Thanks Timo

:D

gogo

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Back trying Chrome again... Issues with logging in to the Hotmail service are resolved, however, the framework in which you should be able to read your email is not supported(!?).

And also from what I can see here, it still may be a bit shaky with .png files. For instance: I can't see some of the avatars of the users here, same trouble with some icons from the Sacred 2 section on the homepage of darkmatters (on the Sterling Skin). Though, I get similar issues when using IE7, so I'm not entirely sure about that, yet.

EDIT

OK Don't know what's up, but the issues are resolved now. I'm officially using Google Chrome! :)

Edited by Timotheus

Just tried it.

I thought it was ok, it'll be better when addons etc, are available.

I did like the function that saved your post visited websites :(, a bit like intelligent bookmarking, and with pictures

:D

~Doom