Currently Reading...

soldats

Perry Rhodan

A german ScoFi mini series of sadly only around 3000 booklets. My father started to read it even before my oldest sister was born in 1961 and he still buys allthe new ones. I use to read them again after a pause of some years (mcaused by my brother who took most of them from my fazther).

For all who thought that E.E.Smith didn't enough books in his Lensman cycle, 3000 and still becoming more :)

From wikipaedia:

Having sold over one billion copies (in pulp booklet format) worldwide, it is the most successful science fiction book series ever written.[1] The series and its spin-offs have captured a substantial fraction of the original German science fiction output and exert influence on many German writers in the field.

Holee molee, chatius, I didn't know that series was so big... till now, this is news to me.

:)

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Spud - Exit, pursued by a bear, was a book filled with sudden outbursts of laughter, and now I miss the characters terribly... busy reading The Gift, by James Patterson, Flash and bones by Kathy Reichs.

I'm currently reading the Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym by Edgar Allan Poe. It's a book I remember picking up in my school library some twenty-five years ago and wanting to read, but not doing until now. I love Poe's writing, and always thought he had the right balance of tension in his short stories. I'm enjoying it so far (about half way) and it's good to be sailing into familiar waters (pun intended) after spending the last five months or so working my way through the Bible.

After Pym, I'm heading back to Raymond E Feist, where I think I'm two books behind.

What an interesting weekend, this is what happens when you have a day off, and decided to do non online stuff with it.

oh joy, a book!

:o

Gregory Benford, tides of light, so hard core and OLD, but still a good revisit, this is what happens when you go for the pile of dusty books off of peeps' garage sale tables.

:P

gogo

• 4 months later...

I'm now busy with the Percy Jackson series, and I got a lot of books for Christmas and my Bday. so will be reading plenty much in the foreseeable future!

Delta!

The comic itself pokes fun of manga in general, with Bunny seemingly breaking the fourth walll at times, hence me finding myself following it on a weekly basis. :) Also helps that both Bunny and Kyoto are quite easy on the eyes. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

finished the Percy Jackson Series, and then moved onto the next series by Rick Riordan, Heroes of Olympus, finished the Lost hero, and read the son of Neptune a while ago, good to be back with the Demigods. still have the mark of Athena to read.

Delta!

• Like! 1

finished the Percy Jackson Series, and then moved onto the next series by Rick Riordan, Heroes of Olympus, finished the Lost hero, and read the son of Neptune a while ago, good to be back with the Demigods. still have the mark of Athena to read.

Delta!

Wasn't the Percy Jackson series a movie with gods from olympus or something? Not sure but I think I watched that, it was pretty good, good effects, and the personalization of the gods was entertaining.

I think I especially enjoyed Medusa's maze...u didn't really know it was a maze until all of a sudden it "clicked" with all the plants and statues.

Good surprise

:)

gogo

I'm currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin, and I just found out that it's going to be a trilogy. The second book is called The Twelve, and I believe it's now available for purchase. Not sure when the third book is coming out.

I'm new to Cronin and so far quite impressed with his articulate writing style and ability to conjure up all sorts of [disturbing] emotions from deep within one's psyche.

If you guys like post-apocalyptic zombie books (World War Z), then you might like this book as well (although zombies are not the main antagonist, but rather something much worse).

Here's what it says on the back of the book:

'An epic and gripping tale of catastrophe and survival, The Passage is the story of Amy—abandoned by her mother at the age of six, pursued and then imprisoned by the shadowy figures behind a government experiment of apocalyptic proportions. But Special Agent Brad Wolgast, the lawman sent to track her down, is disarmed by the curiously quiet girl and risks everything to save her. As the experiment goes nightmarishly wrong, Wolgast secures her escape—but he can’t stop society’s collapse. And as Amy walks alone, across miles and decades, into a future dark with violence and despair, she is filled with the mysterious and terrifying knowledge that only she has the power to save the ruined world...'

• 1 month later...

I finished the Heroes of Olympus series, waiting for the last one to be released, the house of Hades. So far I am hooked on the series, Rick Riordan is a really good writer and story teller.

Currently busy with The Gay Divorcee, but almost finished, and then I'll be moving on to another series of Rick Riordan, The Kane chronicles, featuring the Egyptian gods...

Delta!

• 5 months later...

I am currently busy with a new author. Chris Colfer, his first book has been published, the land of stories, the wishing spell... Well written and so far I have had plenty of laughs... Just don't be put off when you find out who the author is...

Delta!

A manual which was translated from english into german. Too bad the english original wasn't the original either. The english one was a computer generated translation from japanese it seems. Well not as worse as the picture below.

Ikea.gif

Luckily never run into this:

new_ikea_instructions.png

Probably because most of our furniture is old and handmade.

The manual I am currently reading is from a Einachsschlepper, a tractor with just two wheels. By attaching a one axis trailer and limiting the speed it can be driven without a driving license.

If calculations are right, our second can drive it mid through rough country to shortcut the normal street. So instead 18km to school it would be just 4km. Currently she uses a bicycle, but at snow and mud this one could be better. A small cabin is already added, including a roll bar in case of an accident .

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the Land of stories, the wishing spell.

And now I am reading/studying some of my recipe books to get ideas for desserts and flavours to try out at work. and also need to brush up on my hot section and starter section knowledge again. I am to be in one of the senior positions and will need to prove my worth and be as sharp as a global knife.

Delta!

The Emperor's Soul, a novella by Brandon Sanderson. Sanderson is the writer who finished up Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and is a great novelist in his own right. This one is a very short book, probably could be read in one sitting, though I'm taking my time and reading a little bit each day.

It's about a girl with a magical gift called "Forging" which allows her to rewrite the past of objects and to make them into something else. She gets caught replacing the Imperial Scepter with a forgery. Her imperial captors tell her that the Emperor has just been brain damaged from an assassination attempt and the only way to continue his rule without the public knowing is for her to "forge" the Emperor a new soul. It something almost never done, and would normally take years, but she has just 180 days....and she's pretty sure she's not going to be allowed to live either way.

It's good so far. I'm savoring it. Each chapter is a day so it reads a little like a journal.

• 1 year later...

I have finished The girl with the dragon tattoo, and I am now busy with The girl who played with fire. After that I will finish the trilogy with The girl who kicked a hornets nest.

I have ordered The Land of Stories: the enchantress returns, and A Grimm warning, both by actor/author Chris Colfer, I have received A Grimm warning, but I am still waiting for The Enchantress returns.

I hope it will arrive soon.

Delta!

• Like! 1