The Official Spaghetti Thread

Guest gogoblender

Guest gogoblender

This is it...official and tasty

Everyone's got their own ideas for how to make a great spaghettti sauce. And everyone's got their own take on how to make the classic, tasty take on tomatoes nice and yummy.

K, get this...Best spaghetti sauce I ever had?

It had chicken livers.

Yup

Italian restaurant (heh, my friends dragged me in, italian's not really one of my faves :cry:) and the had about ten types of spaghetti sauces ranging from creamy to bacon to veggie stuff. I picked the one with chicken livers and guys...

it rocked

The tiny little tidbits of livers were so tasty, soft and deeeeeeeeeelish.

I think they were fried in butter? But the tha fried taste that would hit my flavor buds tweenst every third of fourth bite was like this great meat party goin on that would just cry out...let's eat this again!

heh, never have so far...but one day I'm definitely gonna have to see whether or not I can duplicate it.

I love my spaghetti sauce sweet too.

Sometimes I add suger (heh, when noone's lookin)

And I"ve got some tricks too.

I only add the garlic at the end AFTER the sauce has finished cooking.

What I do is is whilst the sauce is cookin I peel up a TON o garlic buds (never can have enuff /devil ) and then...when I think the sauce is ready, I get my little hand grater and grate the garlic all over the top of the sauce.

When the grated garlic hits the sauce...wow...the smell is so intense and drooly I jsut wannt pour the whole pot inta my mouth.

and sometimes...just fer a change of texter...I'll add before hand while the sauce is cookin garlic buds chopped into chunks.

What this does is keep big chunks of garlic in the sauce and then the sauce slowly suffuses the garlic.

Taking out all that sharp bite, and saturating the chunks of garlic with delicious sauce.

k...now I gotta make mah spag sauce.

So...this is all aboiut sharing guys....

Share yer spage secrets folks and let's see who's got some great ideas

Cheers!

:)

gogo

gaaaak.... liver.....runs away fast!

Now with that said, my wife makes the world's best spagetti sauce you ever tasted. Lots of sausage and ground beef, fresh tomatoes in season, garlic, mushrooms and the right combination of seasonings ( you know til it tastes right, she never measures).

So she stuffs the meats and the sausages in the pot and cooks it up...( from the Godfather movie)

I'm gettin' hungry for spagetti /yay

Oh! Honey !

haha, how funny that I saw this thread today - I was at the market earlier and got the fixin's to make a big batch of pasta sauce tomorrow morning (although after reading gogo's post I want to go make it now!). My sauce is good, but will probably horrify true gourmets because I do it the lazy way. I start with 2 big jars of pre-made sauce and just jazz it up.

Usually I add equal parts of sweet italian sausage and ground beef (cooked of course), onions (I fry a few up with the meat, then toss a big pile into the sauce mixture when I combine everything), fresh chopped tomatoes, lightly sauteed mushrooms (cooked in the drippings from the italian sausage), a bit of cayenne pepper powder, and celery salt. I throw it all in a pan then add a big pile of minced garlic after it starts gently bubbling. After an hour or two I taste it, then add anything else I feel like, then let it gently bubble away on the stove all day until it gets thick and yummy.

The cool part (IMO) is that I make HUGE batches, then once it cools overnight I put a 1-2 person serving in a ziplock pint size freezer bag and freeze it. Ziplocks are perfect for this sort of thing because when you're ready to use some of it you just toss it into a sink or container full of hot tap water while you cook your pasta, then you've got a fast and easy meal quickly with minimal dishes to wash ;) (I also use the ziplock bag trick for soup and chili for fast and easy mealtimes).

@gogo - Was the sauce with the chicken livers a tomato based garlicky one? I'm trying to figure out if I should get some to toss into my sauce tomorrow because I adore chicken liver anyway :)

Ooohhh Droolz!!

I'm a bit lazy too and use that sieved passata stuff and chopped toms (unless I can have a really leisurely morning in the kitchen then I'll also add some skinned vine tom's fresh and cook em in the sauce too.

I have absolutely no idea on quantities I just chuck it in till the pot looks full enough.

I love to get some anchovies and sea salt and tons of garlic on the chopping board and mush it all up together on the board (my kids won't eat it if they saw the anchovies so smushed works in hiding em). gently fried up with onions a great big handful of diced proscuitto (spelling) the comes the mince beef salt n pepper a huge glass of red wine a pinch of brown sugar ahh I forgot the mushrooms....and the tomato sauce more herbs and a bit more garlic...lid on a cook all afternoon! I also add olives to the sauce as it slow cooks away on the stove...yummy!..oh I feel a sauce coming on!!

Ahh I hear you DaGirl about those ziplock bags they are great for everything! but erm there's never any left to freeze in my house /drool

Hey! I was eating my spaghetti when all of the sudden this topic appeared. Are you reading mah taste buds gogo? ;)

Spaghetti has got to be the best meal to make. Is mmm mmm good and you can make a big batch of it that will save you having to cook as much throughout the week. When I make spaghetti sauce it always comes out to about 3 litres of sauce. Less cooking, woot! /drool

I've been making pretty much the same recipe for at least 2 years now. Adjusting it a bit once in a while and trying different things. I fry ground beef and onions for starters like DaGirl though I've never tried adding more onions later on. I'll give that a go.

Then I pour in 2 large cans of Hunt's tomato sauce and grate in some garlic. Funny thing about that. While pressing some garlic a long time ago I managed to break my press somehow. Wee bit stressed perhaps, haha. So in my desparation I grabbed my small grater and it did a perfect job on the garlic. Better than the hand press actually. Give that a try sometime. I add half my garlic right after the ground beef and onions are cooked and half when it's time to simmer the sauce. Adapted that from gogo's sauce. :D *Peaks at gogo's recipe some more* hehe

Things that I toss into the mix are:

Seasonings: I use a mixture of seasonings that contains Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Savory, Sage, Oregeno and Sweet Basil. Quite a lot actually. I think I put half a gram to a gram. I'll often add a few shakes of some steak spice of a salt and pepper mix as well.

1 cup chopped stuffed green olives. This is kinda like the star of my recipe. If my spaghetti sauce doesn't have green olives then it just isn't right to me.

A can of spinach. Looooove spinach! Very very good for you.

About a cup of mushrooms. Gotta have'em! I like your idea of saute mushrooms DaGirl. Will try that out too!

1/2 Chopped of each; green, red and yellow pepper. Mostly for nutritional value but they do bring a nice hint to the flavour. Sometimes in place of this I'll add green and wax bean sprouts and baby carrots.

And lately one of those little cans of tomato paste. I find this really adds a zing to the flavour and thickens the sauce nicely.

I'm always in a hurry it seems when making my spaghetti sauce it seems so I usually simmer the sauce for an hour but after reading the other recipes it kinda sounds like maybe an hour is much too short to really bring out the flavour? /unsure

After reading the recipes here I think I'll try out some new things:

I like the use of red wine in your recipe erialc. Mmmm. Marinating the ground beef overnight in some red wine and seasoning could work out very well.

Really find the use of sausage in your sauces interesting too. I really can't handle sausage tho so I think I may try adding bacon bits to the sauce, Yum!

Once it's all done I boil a big batch of spaghetti, put the sauce and the spaghetti in separate very large tuperwares, keep them in the fridge and eat it throughout the week. My favorite thing to have with a spaghetti meal is a bagel with cream cheese.

Ok. I am seriously hungry now! /drool

Ooohhh Droolz!!

a huge glass of red wine ..oh I feel a sauce coming on!!

Is the wine for you or as flavoring in the spagetti? I'd prefer two or three glasses...hahahah

Does anyone remember the Gallopin' Gourmet? He used to get pretty well sloshed up while cooking all kinds of good things on his TV show... /lmao

haha I think I have seen a couple of reruns of one of his programmes was it Graham Kerr?....hehe we have a bloke here called Keith Floyd and he gets totally ratted in a very Kerr style! great chef though...I'd love to be his assistant...ofc to pick up the cooking styles /lmao

And the vino goes in the sauce and ofc in an even bigger glass for me ;)

I just make yummy steaks with erm red wince sauce...or is that red wine and a bit of butter? haha whatever it was yummy!

fnd%20(19).gif Spaghetti is definetly one of my all time faves!!

My favourite ingredients on top of the normal tomatoes/mince/sauce are onions, lotsa garlic, lotsa chillies, olives, red capsicum, grated carrot, and mushrooms - I like to put them in whole not chop em up so you can find em real easy :D And red wine of course is essential - both in the sauce and in a glass for while you are cooking fnd%20(10).gif

Yum Yum

Great thread Gogo :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back with an upgraded spaghetti sauce thanx to the recipes here. :P

I used the same recipe that I mentioned above with some changes. Something new to the recipe was that I marinated the extra lean ground beef in 1 cup of red wine, (Maybe more... /blush hehe *hic!* Have spaghetti and get a buzz!), some italienne seasoning, 1 sliced onion and 2 cloves of garlic. I let it marinate overnight and the next day started to cook!

I fried up some bacon and through that into the mix and something I have never done was actually let it simmer for about 5 hours. That was hard! I just wanted to pack it up after an hour. /drool Oh and one other thing I added that was new was chili peppers. I don't normally use pepper for anything but thought I would give it a try which turned out very nice.

The bacon in the recipe I don't think I'll do again. I loooove bacon but I'm thinking that bacon just doesn't really belong in my spaghetti sauce so next time I'll try a spicy sausage.

All in all I'm not sure that the cooking time of 1 hour vs. 5 hours made a big difference to me. Maybe because I was using premade tomamto sauce instead of sauce from scratch? I guess that will be my next attempt. /unsure

Bon apetite! :)

Guest gogoblender

Schot yer sauce was awesome!

lol, I can't stop eating it, hahah

suggestion?

instead of adding the bacon in so early into the sauce and letting it simmer fer five hours...how bout you just fry it up outside the sauce and get that nice smokey flavor goin...then at the last minute...add pieces of fried bacon into the sauce...you'll get that bacony bite suffused with the magical essence of long brewed sauce in every bite!

wow, I can't believe how well this thread has taken off!

Cel...liver's good fer ya man! lol, and dagirl...I put the liver in a tomato sauce...I hope you really get to try that variation out...it's wonderful!

I had an old gf of mine who used to do this very italian thing with her sauce.

She'd cook home made meatballs and spicy sausage in the tomato sauce...then just before we ate...she'd pluck out all the meat, slice it all up nice and neat and serve it along side in it's own dish with the sauce and pasta...kinda like yer variation on this cel, but with her own twist.

Bravo!

:)

gogo

p.s. Erialc...anchovies in the sauce?

how cool!

it would certainly make a richer sauce...

hmmm now you gots me to a thinkin!

p.s. Aur... I hear ya...Wine with spag on the side and in...a smashing combination!

• 1 year later...

been a while since anyone posted in this one, so added my best side dish to go with spaghetti

ingredients spaghetti:

1. 2lbs of decent quality spaghetti

2. 1lb spicy italian sausage (got to try some of the elk I have in freezer soon)

3. 2 jars of favorite spaghetti sauce, usually consisting of what is in pantry

4. one whole garlic

5. small onion

6. little dried peppers (asian or mexican)

7. italian spice mix

8. black pepper

9. kosher salt

10. olive oil

get pot big enough to hold all the sauce and meat to add, put in sauce and put on very low heat. get a non-stick wok or similar, brown up the italian sausage until there is crusty chunks and break up into desired sized chunks. while the meat browning, chop up onion to desired size, toss in sauce. cut up the garlic, I use a big cleaver to take off ends, lay flat and then smash prior to removing peels. once got a pile, dice it up with some kosher salt in the mix to get something like a paste. can then put some in with meat, some in sauce now and later. put in the little dried peppers into sauce to add some heat and remove prior to serving. add pepper and italian spice mix to taste. meet should be done about now, so plop that in the sauce, meat, fat and all. then get bread ready, instructions later. start water boiling, add salt (high altitude) and a splash of olive oil to keep noodles from sticking together as much. while cooking spaghetti, bring up the heat on the sauce to a serving temperature. do the usual from now on, serving sauce with a slotted and regular spoon so that those that love meat can pick out more.

ingredients for garlic bread:

1. good bread, nice and crusty while being tender in the middle

2. rest of garlic not reserved/used in the spaghetti

3. some garlic salt california mix

4. margarine, I prefer country crocks shed spread churn style

5. parsley

6. kraft parmesan cheese (dried cheap kind)

use whatever cookie sheet you have or what is clean. cut the bread at least 1in thick and adjust size to fill up the sheet with slices. coat them generously with margarine. plop, spread and/or throw the garlic mix onto the bread, I often make one side of the pan very garlicy and the other mild. sprinkle on the garlic salt onto bread. sprinkle on the parmesan cheese. use parsley for color and garnish. at the begin of cooking spaghetti, place the cookie sheet in middle of the oven and turn on bake to 350. the idea with this step is to melt the margarine into the bread deeply by giving it some time and heat prior to crusting the top. once the spaghetti is ready to be plated, turn the oven to broil, mine has convection broil so I use that. remove once desired brownness, I like just the edge to begin being brown. remove, sprinkle some more garlic salt and serve.

manger.gif Ahh one of my favorites Spaghetti. I had a next door neighbor who gave me her recipe, we won't say how many years ago, but I've been making it that way ever since. I lost it last year so now improvise. I won't go into to much detail but it has in it. tomato paste a couple cans of diced tomatoes, hamburger, sausage garlic, a touch of sugar, rosemary,oregano and a couple of other spices. I since have bought and use a large jar of Italian spices that covers all of them instead of adding each one separately. Oh an onions and green pepper and mushrooms. And if you want a little kick and can find it Smoked paprika. The secret of it all is to let it simmer for hours, the longer the better. Wither it makes it better or people just get tired of the good smells and DEMAND to be fed who knows.

Sadly for health reasons my menu's mostly center around meat for about 80% of the time. BBQ being my favorite but I cook using recipes from all around the world wither bbq or oven or microwave or roaster ovens and crockpotsd030.gif

awsoeme gogo! u eat gore evry day? :viking:

oh yeah pasta.. right.

well I have my personal chef called mom and her pasta sauce is the best in the world would love to share it with yah but its secret :)

and @ Patroclo

I kinda have nothing as main dish, we use to eat like diffrent stuff all the time. young life is good, eh? personal chef and u dont even have to choose from a menu :)

when I move out I guess the answer will be pizza.... :4rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Spaghetti is my all time favorite food followed by Fettucine Alfredo. I have recipes for both. My spaghetti sauce recipe came from an very wonderful older lady and I am sworn to secrecy about all of its contents but I not only use tomato sauce but also canned crushed italian stewed tomatoes and tomatoe paste in it as well as italian seasoning because buying all the spices seperatly gets a bit costly for me. The stewed crushed tomatoes makes the sauce more chunky and thick which I adore. As for meat I use hamburger or ground chuck also if you have a meat grinder try grinding up a roast.

Seductive, great seeing you back and in all the right threads! :thumbsup: I know what you mean about the spices getting expensive. I myself love tons of garlic in my sauce..but lately I've been getting kind of lazy regarding all the work needed to get that extra garlic punch in. Each clove, argh...so... I've been buying a small tin of tomato puree lately..with garlic already added. It really jumps up the depth of the flavor plus gives me the garlic flavor I crave. I also hear you about the italian seasonings. The stuff I buy is a packet with seasonings and msg already in...just a few shakes of this stuff... little Italy in a bag...yum.

And... secret ingredients huh?

Lately I've switched out the ground beef for pork... we can get really good quality ground pork here at the store I get my meat at. The price is so much cheaper than beef, and I can get a good bit more of the good stuff added to the sauce.

:wub:

gogo

It tastes so good though!

:D

:D

gogo

p.s. okay...I promise to use only three shakes of the packet instead of four :music:

But ... but... but... your ingredients and the length of cooking should make the sauce tase good....have a read of this