Avatar - James Cameron's 400 Million Dollar Extravaganza

Katran

The buzz is that this is the movie that we all will have to see. The buzz about it has been out there for quite some time but the first trailer is finally out.

James Cameron will probably do it again with this one. Take a look it looks fantastic.

HD Trailer HERE

Looks like a very creative film. Got me intrigued. I'm tempted to sneak a read of the synopsis... But I'll resist. Ok... I'll try to. No promises though. ^^

• 3 months later...

At a cost of 400 million dollars, James Cameron's Avatar is breaking ground as both, one of the most expensive movies of all time, as well as one of the most hyped viewing experiences ever on a screen. Friend of mine just saw it on opening night here Montreal the 12 Midnight showing. Said the theatre was packed, that, for her, it was movie of the century, and, that after movie was over, applause went on for minutes, and that nobody wanted to leave the theatre, they all just wanted to "remain" in that 3d world.

Anyone else made plans for this movie? I keep trying to make time for an outing, but I also keep hearing that the 3d theatres are packed.

I wanna watch a movie that makes me applaud for minutes too!

:twitch:

gogo

p.s. oops forgot...here's the trailer :oooo:

I do plan on watching this movie as well ever since I heard about it coming out.

It has great reviews from critics not just SF fans.

I think its a must see this winter season.

P.S.: Merged your topic gogo with the one we already had. :twitch:

Thanks for merge Kat. Are there a lot of 3 theatres where you live? I'm lucky, there is one not too far away... boy is it ever expensive. heh, you know, watching movies at home has made me so lazy.. most times I just go meh, and want to watch it at home... this time though, one of the most important points James Cameron wanted to make is that he wanted one of the focuses to be about this new immersive technology he has fallen in love with. In fact, I think I read about him saying somewhere that he's only going to make 3 movies from now on.

:twitch:

gogo

Just watched it a few hours ago in full 3D and all I can say is that it made Transformers and Harry Potter look like kittens in a cage of lions. The depth and scope of the story is simply unbelievable and the sceneries are breathtaking.

heh, K hope it works out. Man, trying to see this movie is turning into a bit of a drag. We were using the online ticket information to tell us whether or not the seats were sold out or not. We then saw that on the 24th, there were seats... ran down to the theatre downtown... and then saw that for imax 3d here, you can actually book the actual seat. This of course changed everything. When we looked at computer diagram map to purchase our tickets right at the theatre... while trying to say out of the way of the throbbing line of peeps, we then saw that all the best seats were taken... of course *rolls eyes* and then the one set of seats that were available for two hey would not sell us advance tickets for because if you were to buy those two, the next seat would have been left alone... making it, I guess, not usable by most buyers for groups.

This was interesting, never knew about this before, but at this point all the gusto was deflated from my viewing experience and we put up the white flag of surrender... hoping to catch this another day.

:closedeyes:

gogo

As far as the story goes, you've seen it before for other movies or read this story in books. Given the cost of making the movie, it would have to get a lot of business like the 'Dark Knight' movie. I'd say 3D Imax is the only way to see this movie.

Happy holidays! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it yesterday in 3D, and it was something. Sure the 3D effects weren't mind-blowing (might be because the 3D where I went isn't that good), but the world of Pandora is rich, detailed, beautiful.

This is the movie to watch during the holidays.

Max

Just came from theather and must say 3d is lot more impressing than I've seen so far. Really improves the movie experience and makes it easier to get deep into the plot and characters. But still.. it's not fully 3d, so there's still much to improve, before it feels real.

But the movie.. I must say I was shocked to see K13 (allowed kids over 13 years old) on it.. as it is not movie for children. Shooting people, slowmotion death scenes, blood and lot of violence. Made me sad to think that as I was watching it. But overall the movie is okey.. maybe 3/5 stars, not going to buy it when it comes on dvd/bluray, but worth seeing ones. I bet it would been lot more interesting if they would really focused more on the negotiation than killing each other. I really didn't like the action parts that much as went to see a animation for whole family, not war movie or action movies. If I wanna see better action whit same robots, similar aircrafts, I'll put matrix revolution on my dvd-player.

We just got back from seeing it with bunch of friends from work and Schot. Well... I guess I'll start off by first saying that this was a movie I had to see... with all the hooplah etc and the fact that I'm kind of a James Cameron fan and it's not often he's really really let me down, swallowing the 17.50 CAD was easier. We saw it in 3d imax. The imax was really impressive...I'd forgotten how many stories tall the screen is...it's HUGE... course that great sound, lasers, sweet plushy seats.... now... onto the movie.

er... beh? *ducks tomatoes*

The story was so, so, and the graphics, while cool, ...maybe my lacklustre feeling when getting out of the movie was because so much of what James Cameron had done in this movie had already been done SOOOOOOOO many times before?

I didn't think there was anything really unique, at least regarding story line... and how much more of this back to nature school boy scout eco save the world goodness can a polluter take these days :)

Anyway...rating?

9 for Effects

7 for story

11 for Strawberry bannana smoothie...dang those things taste good!

:)

gogo

• 1 month later...

I thought it was a surprisingly subtle commentary on Western consumerism/corporate greed that didn't ram "consumerism = bad, living in mud huts & dieing in your 20s/30s = good" down your throat as much as the average film from America (that takes this view) does. We watched the 3d version & the 3d bit of it added nothing whatsoever (as it usually doesn't, other than an excuse to have stuff flying out at the viewer & charge more for glasses).

• 2 weeks later...

what is 'standard' these days in 3D 'enabled/capable' cinemas?

what technologies are they using,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy#3D_glasses

and for example, is Avatar available for different 3D technologies/realisations like

...stereoscopic LCD shutter-glasses (1 picture at a time, alternating left-right.. alternate frame-sequencing),

...complementary anaglyph-glasses (very limited color spectrum+3d 'effect'..

red+cyan (free) for example is most common, or colorcode3D>patented, amber+blue)

..polarized 3Dglasses

?

this all is very confusing and I find very little details about in what versions Avatar is, or was available for...

(btw, you ever heard about nvidia's 3D vision, for 3D on PC ? either with LCD shutterglasses or with common&cheap anaglyph glasses..

special monitors are required for use with LCD shutter-glasses however.. capable of twice the usual refresh-rate - 120Hz instead of 60...

that is necessary because although it would be possible with most current standard LCD/TFT displays as well,

you would only get half the frame-rate as each picture has to be displayed alternately for both the right and left eye shortly after each other

Sacred 2 is on the 'compatibilty' list, for both methods :lol:

just tried with some colorcode3d glasses, after editing the registry I could force the actual nvidia drivers to show yellow+blue again instead of red+green (stupid drivers won't let you choose 3D colors via menu-default anymore like they used to, crap.. however, after editing the registry and then saving the profile, even on restart it turned out it would use the altered settings.. no need to edit them each launch)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html

(advertised to use with the expensive LCD shutter glasses+new monitor, but there's also the "3D vision discover" option = anaglyph)

Edited by Rotluchs