Deep Silver Obliged to provide a Chat Box Hotfix?

Well word has come out now on the chat box problem. I have yet to be on the servers with other people so far but gogo, Woody and others are on now and saying that each time someone chats that the Chat box pops open and from that point on any key strokes done will simply type into the chat... Instead of for example moving your character, (W,A,S,D), or using a health potion, (Spacebar). A solution would be to choose "Listen to Party only" from the chat box but this will cause us to miss important messages such as the common "Where are you playing?" question.

From what I'm hearing so far it sounds as though this bug is a game breaker. If we can't find a solution then it might be a good idea that we create a sample email for everyone to send to Deep Silver. Complaints are a dime a dozen in the gaming field and are often seen as minority issue so if this bug really is without a solution from our side then we need to make sure that Deep Silver understands this one particular bug is far worse than any other. In that event a mass email should get the point across.

I can only assume the changed functionality of the chat box was a very simple one and so should be reasonably easy to facilitate a fix.

So then. Solutions? Can we find a way to change the chat box back to the way it was? Or do we arm our emails?

This "Chat Death" almost had me last night. Locoagarto and I are thinking of some kinda mic setup we can run while we play on the same server. This could fix two issues for us. One being we won't have to shout down the hallway possibly waking the house and the other "my issue" of fat fingering the keys and being limited to two finger typing. I'm a mechanic, I handle wrenches not keyboards. I'm getting better but a shout out for help sure beats and fat fingered typo.

It's definitely been 1 of the hardest challenges of going to PC. The xbox live voice chat was very easy to communicate in the heat of battle. An in some ways I think it was more personal. you heard a voice and understood the inflexion and tone that came with those words.

Edit: Back on topic, they need to fix this quick or they are going to have a lot of unhappy gamers on their hands

Edited by locolagarto

Unless this is something different than what I'm experiencing I have found that re-clicking on the left mouse button works well. The chat box will have the 'focus' anytime a message is entered and you then need to do something for it to lose 'focus'.

I find re-clicking the LMB especially while moving is the easiest thing to do. Though if you use WASD to move this might not help much

Edit: I didn't realize this problem started occurring after that 2.65 patch so I doubt my suggestion will work ( I haven't played on new patch yet, just downloaded it now :agreed: )

Communicating via voice would be a great solution but unfortunately there will always be some who can't/won't use voice chat. As for left clicking to regain focus that will probably be what we end up doing for the most part but IF someone were to chat just as a player got a red flash of death they'd be in big trouble since the space bar would no longer heal them.

I wonder though... If a player checks the option to "listen to party only" can the player still receive whispers? That could be a temporary solution.

Out of curiousity I've been exploring Sacred 2's exe and dll files to see if there's anything in them that might hint as to a command that could revert the changes to the chat box. The tincat file has many references to chat within it's contents so there might be something. I was so tired when I was reading through it that I barely got through even a quarter of it's contents. Just occured to me though that the 2.65 patch may provide some clues on what was changed. I guess what I'm thinking about here is a mod to change the chat box. No easy task....

I'm using PE Explorer to read file contents. It takes a bit of button pushing to figure how to use it but wasn't too hard.

Time to have a look at the 2.65 patch contents. _magnify__Revamp_by_ZeKRoBzS.gif

P.s.

I really should get onto the servers and see how this is working... I don't even know if it's even that bad at all.

Was just in game with Chareos and Dobster and I can verify that re-clicking LMB when this happens does work. I'm used to doing it this way since it seems every time the chatbox would appear I was either heading to the southwest or fighting something the chatbox was covering up. I guess this bug doesn't happen every time someone chats but seems to be random. It happened to Chareos and he was able to clear it after LMB clicking.

So at least until this is resolved the LMB trick will work

Aaaaah good. The feedback I was getting was that it really was game breaking. I'm going to wait on researching further then and play a lot more first.

And another thing we Combat Art do is to give a shout out when we know were about to face something ie boss. Loco and I did this today. Just give a warning before hand then let everyone now your clear. Might help

After playing alot more I rather tend to classify this bug as annoying, you can easily close the window by pressing escape or clicking on the ground when it pops up,

it just needs good reflexes to quickly do it before you type anything esle...

We'll get used to it if they don't remove it..

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras

I detest this bug. I am with Schot here, I'm hoping for a hot fix... is it possible for all of us to send them a letter or something?

Please?

Of all the bugs in this game, THIS is the one that has finally ...bugged me :) All the others over the years, I could gloss over them, shrug, ignore or avoid....

But this is a chat bug.... it affects our talking!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:drool:

gogo

But this is a chat bug.... it affects our talking!

I'm with you on this one : When I entered your game yesterday, I said "Hi" and your reply was : "22dd22e". These are the keys you were using while I was saying "Hi".

I didn't play a lot with the latest patch yet, but I'm sure this "bug" will be annoying.

Max

This bug breaks my heart. For those of you that have played with me on the servers you know that I tend to be quite chatty. Now I am scared to send any chats at all.

I have already gotten in the habit of hitting ESC (followed by spacebar just to be safe heh) whenever a new chat comes in when I am fighting. My worst fear is that we will stop talking to each other.

I detest this bug.

Me too, and I hope a fix.... (for that and new items who cannot drop)

Sorry for this negative offtopic :

Bug who disgust players of multiplayer mode, arrange sleep silver :

Less players on servers > DS can close more servers > less costs for them

Less players = don't need ladder > closing ladder > less costs for them

Minimum team for correcting bugs = less costs for them.

Less costs, less costs.........

And players ? no consideration... :(

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Post from doberlec on the german forums :

(Sorry for the traduction, it's google...)

http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr...postcount%3D154

That does not mean that we fall to Sacred 2, but we will still support it as far as possible on. Will there still be patches? This can not and will not promised.

Sleep-Silver christmas-gift for players :)

:)

Edited by Woody
Post from doberlec on the german forums :

(Sorry for the traduction, it's google...)

http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr...postcount%3D154

That does not mean that we fall to Sacred 2, but we will still support it as far as possible on. Will there still be patches? This can not and will not verprechen (?).

Sleep-Silver christmas-gift for players :)

:)

I think that verprechen is possibly versprechen spelt wrong, which translates as promise, ergo, "This cannot and will not be promised" most likely.

Edit: Reading the google translate version of the post, it sounds vaguely promising, or rather its neither a denial of continued support nor a promise...could be worse :)

Edited by Dragon Brother

Thanks dragon for the translate, corrected my post. :)

Yes, it can be worse...

Hope DS will post an official announce about that one days... for stopping this awfully long waiting from players...

Edited by Woody

In the german forum an inofficial patch popped up. It will make the chat window permanent. Link to this patch:

inofficial patch

Beim Patch auf Version 2.65.1 gibt es ein Problem mit dem Chatcursor, was vor allem im Hardcore-Modus üble Schwierigkeiten bereitet. Da ein Hotfix wohl nicht so schnell kommen wird, habe ich mich hingesetzt und einen kleinen Workaround Patch erstellt.

Der Patch bewirkt folgendes:

Das Chatfenster erscheint als dauerhaft offen ist aber nicht "aktiv" (der Cursor ist nicht gefangen). Es kann zwar mit "Esc" bzw. dem "Schließen"-Knopf am Fenster selbst "geschlossen" werden, bleibt aber trotzdem auf dem Bildschirm.

Nachrichten können normal gelesen und verschickt werden.

Es handelt sich also um ein (geringes) optisches Manko im Austausch gegen funktionalen Chat und ungestörtem Spiel. So wie es aktuell aussieht akzeptieren die Lobbyserver diese Modifikation ohne dass ein Bann ausgelöst wird.

Translatio nfrom someone without ever having english classes:

There was a problem with the chat cursor in 2.65.1 which annoyed hardcore players. The poster exspected a Hotfix to take some time so he did a workaround.

The patch brings:

The chat window will be permanent opened but not active. The cursor is not trapped. It can be closed with 'ESC" or the 'close'-button, but it will remain on the screen.

Messages can be send and received as normal.

It brings some optical Annoyance in exchange for a functional chat and undisturbed playing. To the best knowledge the lobby server are accepting this patch without a ban.

But I have not tested it myself yet, so try at your own risc. There is more Text, but my lunch break is over, Doing backups and such.....

It was just for information.

Edited by chattius

It seems that at least one of the people testing it is satisfied and playing closed HC. I have not tested it myself yet and no time to play outside LAN environment before next weekend. It was just an infomation that there is such a thing. I am normally fighting more with my old 32 bit windows and giving sacred more than 2G memory. The workaround checks a checksum so I would have to first copy my old sacred2 exe back, than do the workaround and then patch in support for large addresses.

I hope that others read this, test the workaround, and give some results.

Thanks for the heads up Chattius. :) I just posted on the GSF for more info. Specifically if it is meant to work with other regional versions of Ice & Blood. Hopefully it is. I also asked if it would be possible to remove the chatbox xhange from the official 2.65 patch. It makes more sense to me to remove the initial change rather than trying to correct it. My suggestion would mean a complete re-install but I'm hoping that the approach would be much easier to fulfill and provide a complete reversion to 2.64's chatbox functionality.

The patch that czevak has created to fix the chatbox does seem to correct the problem it "stealing your cursor" whenever someone chats but in exchange for a new somewhat lesser problem. It forces the chatbox to remain visibly on screen... I'm not exactly sure how this will feel during gameplay but at the very least you won't miss a health potion because of it.

I have installed the patch and the game functions normally. the chat box is on all the time. I will get on and play with Furian tonight and decide which is the lesser evil. the chat box up all the time or the re-focus of the cursor every time someone says something.