Rocker's Guide to Skill Masteries

Hey there everyone, I've been doing some work regarding skill masteries. The project is not completed yet as there is still many possible combinations to figure out. Basically, what I've done, is outlined the best levels to pick your masteries based on a certain skill distribution style. I'll also say at which levels you will earn your masteries depending on your specific skill distribution style. It's easier to see what I'm talking about then to listen to me, so here's the info :bounce:

Best levels to pick Masteries in Most Builds

Using the results from the following methods (+5, +4, +3, +2, +1), it is easy to see at which levels you should take masteries. Keep in mind that this only applies to most builds, because if you have a build that requires something like 5 points in spell resist to unlock armor lore, it will throw the levels off a tad. I recommend taking mastery skill picks at the following levels:

Level 2- 1st Mastery

Level 5- 2nd Mastery

Level 12- 3rd Mastery

Level 35- 4th Mastery

If planning out a build, I would then fill in the levels in between these levels with skills that give an immediate benefit (ex. Concentration immediately gives you 2 buffs).

The +5 Method

This method of skill distribution involves getting a skill to mastery then completely stopping. I call it the +5 method because you are adding +5 to each skill after level 75. This skill distribution is useful for people who want to see the fruits of their character early, or adding points after mastery is useless.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 77

5th- Level 92

6th- Level 106

7th- Level 120

8th- Level 134

9th- Level 147

10th- Level 161

The +4 Method

This method of skill distribution involves keeping 1 skill at level past mastery. I call it the +4 method because you are adding +4 to each skill after level 75 and the other point goes to the chosen skill. This skill distribution is useful for people who want to push a skill over mastery but want to master other skills in a good timeframe.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 78

5th- Level 95

6th- Level 113

7th- Level 131

8th- Level 148

9th- Level 166

10th- Level 184

The +3 Method

This method of skill distribution involves keeping 2 skills at level past mastery. I call it the +3 method because (just going to stop saying this as it is pretty apparent :) ). This skill disbribution is useful for people who want to push 2 skills over mastery but want to keep mastering others in the process. Keep in mind you can only master 9 skills with this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 79

5th- Level 102

6th- Level 126

7th- Level 150

8th- Level 173

9th- Level 197

The +2 Method

This method of skill distribution involves keeping 3 skills at level past mastery. This skill distribution is useful for people who want to push 3 skills over mastery, but want to master a few other skills. Keep in mind that you can only master 7 skills with this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 81

5th- Level 117

6th- Level 153

7th- Level 189

The +1 Method

This method of skill distribution involves keeping 4 skills at level past mastery. This skill distribution is useful for people who really need to keep 4 skills at character level, but don't care about mastering any other skills. Keep in mind that you can only master 5 skills with this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 81

5th- Level 154

These next few methods are common in some builds. They involve adding points to a skill focus up to level 21 or 31, because it is at these levels where you get the most bang for your buck.

Stop for 21, +5 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21, then stopping and continuing using the +5 method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 82

5th- Level 96

6th- Level 110

7th- Level 124

8th- Level 138

9th- Level 151

10th- Level 165

Stop for 31, +5 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +5 method. It would seem not to make sense that the levels you get for 31 are lower then for 21, but it is because of the rounding that they differ by a level.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 81

5th- Level 95

6th- Level 109

7th- Level 123

8th- Level 137

9th- Level 150

10th- Level 164

Stop for 31 and 21, +5 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21 and adding points to another skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +5 method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 87

5th- Level 102

6th- Level 117

7th- Level 132

8th- Level 147

9th- Level 161

10th- Level 176

Stop for 21, +4 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21, then stopping and continuing using the +4 method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 83

5th- Level 101

6th- Level 120

7th- Level 138

8th- Level 157

9th- Level 175

10th- Level 194

Stop for 31, +4 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +4 method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 85

5th- Level 104

6th- Level 122

7th- Level 141

8th- Level 159

9th- Level 178

10th- Level 196

Stop for 31 and 21, +4 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21 and adding points to another skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +4 method.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels. Keep in mind that you can only master 9 skills with this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 95

5th- Level 114

6th- Level 132

7th- Level 151

8th- Level 169

9th- Level 188

Stop for 21, +3 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21, then stopping and continuing using the +3 method.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels. Keep in mind that you can only master 8 skills with this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 85

5th- Level 110

6th- Level 135

7th- Level 159

8th- Level 184

Stop for 31, +3 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +3 method.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels. Keep in mind that you can only master 8 skills with this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 89

5th- Level 113

6th- Level 138

7th- Level 163

8th- Level 187

Stop for 31 and 21, +3 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21 and adding points to another skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +3 method.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels. Keep in mind that you can only master 8 skills using this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 95

5th- Level 120

6th- Level 145

7th- Level 169

8th- Level 194

Stop for 21, +2 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21, then stopping and continuing using the +2 method.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels. Keep in mind that you can only master 6 skills with this method. Also, your next mastery would come at level 201, but because the maximum character level is 200 this is not possible. You can come extremely close to mastering a skill, but you won't be able to.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 90

5th- Level 127

6th- Level 164

Stop for 31, +2 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +2 method.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels. Keep in mind that you can only master 6 skills with this method. Also, your next mastery would come at level 206, but because the maximum character level is 200 this is not possible. You can come extremely close to mastering a skill, but you won't be able to.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 95

5th- Level 132

6th- Level 169

Stop for 31 and 21, +2 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21 and adding points to another skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +2 method.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels. Keep in mind that you can only master 6 skills with this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 105

5th- Level 142

6th- Level 179

Stop for 21, +1 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21, then stopping and continuing using the +1 method.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels. Keep in mind that you can only master 5 skills with this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 90

5th- Level 164

Stop for 31, +1 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +1 method.

You will receive your masteries at these character levels. Keep in mind that you can only master 5 skills with this method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 95

5th- Level 169

Stop for 31 and 21, +1 Method

This method of skill distribution involves adding points to a skill focus to level 21 and adding points to another skill focus to level 31, then stopping and continuing using the +1 method.

1st, 2nd, 3rd- Level 75

4th- Level 105

5th- Level 179

My initial project goal has been completed. I would ask that people please request or mention a certain skill distribution that they use, that is not on the table so far, so that I can add some outside-the-box ones. Thanks :)

I'd like to thank chattius, who got me excited about math in Ancaria, and loco for presenting the 31 and 21 methods. Thanks all for reading :eek:

Edited by ryanrocker1217

Great info ryan. Thank you! I recall many a time thinking about at what levels I could master skills. This will be a very handy reference guide. :bounce:

Awesome work. You have a talent for taking the facts and making them friendly. Friendly facts are easily understood, and help make better players. I love the way you've taken the numbers and spun them out in different variations for mastery. This shows the range of creativity that our timing with skill placement offers in the game.

You have done a very good job of illustrating this.

Good job Ryan

:)

gogo

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :blush: Project has been completed but, as I mentioned at the end in red: Please suggest some outside-the-box skill distributions so that I can add them to the list.

Good work, Ryan! There are so many possibilities that it is pretty hard to really flesh out and get a good handle on "what's right", but I think you've nailed it on the head with this thread.

I did have some "weirdo" setups that performed just fine, but I've thrown most of them in the garbage with my last PS3 blowup. I'll work on remembering/figuring out what they were, but I did have a toon without any masteries at level 82... just to see how it would perform and it was just fine in Niob! but this is console version, so take that for what it's worth.

I worked out my "old standard" for 3 masteries @ 75, and splitting the 64 leftover distributional points... depending on how many "secondary" skills I need to unlock.

3 skills @ 75

2 skills @ 31 (focuses, 31 points gives 6 mods)

1 skill @ 5 (for unlocking 1 secondary skill)

4 skills at 1 point.

OR

3@75

1@31

1@22 (for 5 CA mod points if put on a lore or focus)

3@5 for unlocking more than 1 secondary skill, which I don't want to boost further than 5.

2@1

The weirdo setup that I did just to see if Niob @ level 82 was possible without any masteries

Constitution 74 - this was a WIDD-style build, so I didn't master it to keep HP regen under control

3 focuses @ 55 (for mod points)

92 points leftover, I think I had:

20 Armour, 20 Tactics, 25 Toughness, 25 Combat Disc., 1 Concentration and 1 Dual Weild

Current toon@ level 65: Will have 2 masteries planned at level 75, EP and Combat Discipline

Tactics: 36

Hafted: 5

Astral Focus: 35

Astral Lore: 20

Armour: 5

Riding: 5

EP: 65

Combat Discipline: 65

Malevolent Champion Focus: 5

Death Warrior Focus: 5

I'm pretty sure I'll spread the points around between 65-75 rather than go for Tactics Mastery ASAP. I haven't tried farming Guardians yet, so it may change when I do :)

Thanks for the skill distributions Scott. I'll have to dissect them and add them to the guide...is there a character limit on a post :) The first one is gonna be massive :D

Thanks for the skill distributions Scott. I'll have to dissect them and add them to the guide...is there a character limit on a post :) The first one is gonna be massive :D

The only thing I should've added with the last setup was that the toon doesn't have any acess to +allskills, so a spread out style was used rather than a focused one to keep all dimensions of the character in balance. As a general rule, on console, I stick to one of the first 2 I posted, since they get "the most bang for my buck" in my opinion.

The only thing I should've added with the last setup was that the toon doesn't have any acess to +allskills, so a spread out style was used rather than a focused one to keep all dimensions of the character in balance. As a general rule, on console, I stick to one of the first 2 I posted, since they get "the most bang for my buck" in my opinion.

Cool, I'll mention that your last setup might be useful for characters that don't have access to much +allskills equip. Things like this help players in deciding how they want to allocate their points, so thanks for adding :)