Titan Quest

This is a topic dedicated to the best game ever made...Titan Quest.

Here you can discuss anything about this legendary game. You can share your builds, experiences or anything you want to.

You can also ask questions about this awesome game and I will try to help you.

I have been playing Titan Quest since it's release back in 2006 (including the expansion pack Immortal Throne which was released in 2007) and still play it whenever I have time.

Nothing will ever replace Titan Quest as my favourite game of all time. :viking:

HI Prune, and welcome to DarkMatters!

I'd heard a lot about this game when it was first released, in fact I even gave the demo a go when it came out. I know it's supposed to be a lot like Sacred, but more of a linear line of adventure progression?

:)

gogo

Thanks for the welcome gogoblender :D

Yes, Titan Quest is alot like Sacred in many ways, but there are two big differences. The first difference is that Titan Quest is more linear than Sacred, while still offering plenty of side quests and places to explore. The second difference is that you do not pick a character at the start of the game, you get to choose 2 "masteries" as you gain levels. If you have the expansion installed there are 9 masteries to choose from: Storm, Earth, Warfare, Spirit, Defense, Nature, Hunting, Rogue and Dream. Combining different masteries will give you various classes e.g.

Storm+Earth = Elementalist

Warfare+Rogue = Assassin

Defense+Storm = Paladin

Yup you pretty much got it gogo. Much more linear than Sacred. It is a great game though. One thing I really loved was seeing an enemy wielding a unique weapon and knowing it was mine after I defeated him.

• 10 months later...

Hmmm... time to spruce up on my Necro-posting ;)

Picked this up last week and I would have to say this is one extremely linear ARPG.

I'm loving the game... but hate the gameworld, or more specifically the "one path" the devs gave us to follow along. Now, this wasn't totally horrible, as the sidequests are OK and give a little extra exploration (and tough bosses and/or heroes to kill) except that it is not nearly enough to keep someone like me (spoiled by the 2 Sacred titles and their openness) interested when I run into a brick wall (ie fighting Typhon for the first time). OK, I can accept that I don't have the gear to take on the endboss at level 30, but there is literally no stone unturned on my camp-run... so I reluctantly go back and farm some mobs for charms, and bosses for formulae and a coule of levels later, I did manage to drop Typhon with a lot of kiting. I hate kiting :(

Anyways, as the OP stated, this is a great ARPG, aside from the linear nature of the game.

There are some items that help fighting Typhon around him, but I found him difficult with my first Nature only toon but not as much with any consecutive toons (I think I was more prepared mentally)... :) It could also have had something to do with the much improved frame rate due to the lack of pets! Two wolves and a Nymph was just too much for my old coal driven pc!

But the add-on (Immortal Throne) is great and it is a definite acquisition if you can afford/find it. And the sooner the better, because there is the addition of the Artifact equipment slot and you get the recipes of these during gameplay and as drops IIRC. You also get one-time scrolls and the extra Dream Mastery skill, which I loved.

Unfortunately my CDs have gone missing during my move to the new house, but there are tons of mods that seem worth while.... which I never got to experience :twitch:

But the add-on (Immortal Throne) is great and it is a definite acquisition if you can afford/find it. And the sooner the better, because there is the addition of the Artifact equipment slot and you get the recipes of these during gameplay and as drops IIRC. You also get one-time scrolls and the extra Dream Mastery skill, which I loved.

Heh... Scleamth... missed my little hint up there (formulae) ;) Got the Gold ed. $15 at Zellers, 'twas a no-brainer. Small facepalm when I saw an online price at 7.99 or somesuch but I don't have interweb at home so I'm happy with what I got for now. After a brief test toon in Storm, I went straight into Dream... and loving it.

Unfortunately my CDs have gone missing during my move to the new house, but there are tons of mods that seem worth while.... which I never got to experience :twitch:

Actually, from the little that I have read, the only one that I would want would just double the number of bosses.. for farming purposes(xmax or X2, I forget which). I did get the TQ Vault program, and I will prpbably "cheat" with it from time to time, but just to "un-stick" myself from similar conundrums as I had when I hit Olympus for the first time. No bargaining/trading skill to help me help myself to get good gear, so I think that would be the best way to go about it without playing the game for 1000 hours before I can even think of tackling Legedary difficluty.

Gotta echo the words of praise for this one. ^^ Jumped to one of my all time faves after a thorough journey through both TQ and IT.

essjayehm: Dream's deffo one of my faves too. Combined with Nature some nice petmancer action. Or use it supportively with Spirit and rock with Ternion or something. So many nice options...

And truely a quipment-driven game. Still to find some good stuff for Legendary.

Here's one mod that I would love to see in action:

Lilith The will of Demon It's basically a totally new game!

Thanks for the link Scleameth. I'm going to try this.

I love Titan Quest and have played it for hundreds of hours.

I haven't touched it for the past year due to so many other great games to play, but this mod sounds like a whole new experience.

EDIT:

I couldnt download the files from the links.

The links here did work for me though :)

Edited by stubbie

Played the game for a while and got fed up with it rather quickly, it was so linear with limited replay ability. I still have a copy but doubt I'll ever play it again as in my estimation it is second rate. Which is a big shame as it could have been so good if they had only bothered to add some sort of freedom instead of, "You will do this, in this order, following this path and there will be no deviation allowed!" Totally ruined the game for me.

Edited by podgie_bear

Ahh Scott - I did not realize your reference to the formulae after a moment or two of posting my response, but thought I'd leave it up there for other people's info...

Here's one mod that I would love to see in action:

Lilith The will of Demon It's basically a totally new game!

Wellwellwell... crazy Germans doing it again? A totally new world, improved gfx, new monsters/loot, sounds interesting!

Gotta echo the words of praise for this one. ^^ Jumped to one of my all time faves after a thorough journey through both TQ and IT.

essjayehm: Dream's deffo one of my faves too. Combined with Nature some nice petmancer action. Or use it supportively with Spirit and rock with Ternion or something. So many nice options...

Heh... Templar (w/Defence) is totally OP.. for Normal, and from what I've read Epic difficulty should be 'easier' :gun2:

And truely a quipment-driven game. Still to find some good stuff for Legendary.

And that's where the game gets either interesting or unplayable. Actually the reason I jumped for the Vault... if I want I can have 'anything' instantly... or I can put the toon down and play others and still collect stuff and do it the 'old fasioned way'.... but with an unlimited player chest :D

Thanks for the link Scleameth. I'm going to try this.

I love Titan Quest and have played it for hundreds of hours.

I haven't touched it for the past year due to so many other great games to play, but this mod sounds like a whole new experience.

EDIT:

I couldnt download the files from the links.

The links here did work for me though :)

Awesome... thanks for the up-to-date link, Stubbie. 9 difficulty levels? :twitch:

Played the game for a while and got fed up with it rather quickly, it was so linear with limited replay ability. I still have a copy but doubt I'll ever play it again as in my estimation it is second rate. Which is a big shame as it could have been so good if they had only bothered to add some sort of freedom instead of, "You will do this, in this order, following this path and there will be no deviation allowed!" Totally ruined the game for me.

The unfortunate thing about the game. The Immortal Throne expansion level (Hades) has been a little better, but still can't go more than 5 mins on a sidetrack before you run out of anywhere to go but to advance the campaign, typically ending up having to run backwards over the area you just cleared. :yawn:

I find one of the more debateable things about gameworlds... do I prefer to play in a more serious setting (like TQ's) or a fun one, like Ancaria? Anyone who hasn't guessed by now, I love the funnystuff. There is sooooo much humour in the Sacred series that even going into the umpteenth thousandth hour of playing Sacred 2, I sitll LOL literally from time to time hearing even the background stuff (dragon of a mother-in-law, etc). But, figting the monsters that we've read about, seen in movies, etc has its own kind of appeal at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing a bit of TQ:IT lately, as I'm still waiting for D3 and Grim Dawn to come out. It is a lot more linear, but one thing I will say I think it does better is epics and legendaries. As they only had 75 levels in IT to play around with, it was possible to set statistics into the epics and legendaries that meant something (although admittedly rares are still quite often better - relentless weapons of destruction are hideously powerful). Even now, I still get a funny feeling when I press the alt key and see either blue or purple text on the display. Also, as a lover of classical mythology, the setting works for me. All right, the people at Ascaron did a great job creating a believable (in itself) and loveable world, but for me its easier to fit into the world of the mythologies I grew up with.

I know it's only a matter of time until I go back to Sacred 2, but I'm enjoying my return to TQ, which I thought I never would back when Sacred 2 was first released.

I've been playing a bit of TQ:IT lately, as I'm still waiting for D3 and Grim Dawn to come out. It is a lot more linear, but one thing I will say I think it does better is epics and legendaries. As they only had 75 levels in IT to play around with, it was possible to set statistics into the epics and legendaries that meant something (although admittedly rares are still quite often better - relentless weapons of destruction are hideously powerful). Even now, I still get a funny feeling when I press the alt key and see either blue or purple text on the display. Also, as a lover of classical mythology, the setting works for me. All right, the people at Ascaron did a great job creating a believable (in itself) and loveable world, but for me its easier to fit into the world of the mythologies I grew up with.

I know it's only a matter of time until I go back to Sacred 2, but I'm enjoying my return to TQ, which I thought I never would back when Sacred 2 was first released.

Waiting for Grim Dawn as well, and if anyone doesn't know, its being done by the same people that did TQ.

• 1 month later...

A couple things on mods:

Fanpatch is essential because it fixes broken things

Lilith makes a world more like sacred with puzzles sort of to boot (I haven't played through totally) - Lilith is harder but you can set the difficulty over a range. The default is harder than TQ which once you have played TQ a few times it is quite easy game... But lilith is really cool.

Underworld - this has a cool rebalancing of classes and more items. A little more content like twists on some bossfights and a blood cave for example which I haven't gotten to yet..

Regarding replayability - titan quest is quite replayable! There are 9 masteries and 36 mastery cominations that means if you play 1-2 say earth-storm you still haven't played 7 of the masteries! And you haven't played 35 dual masteries.. There are forum members of titanquest.net who have played since release and posted every day (6 years of posting). Also there are like 6 mods that totally revamp the masteries. And difficulty mods to give veterans a challenge (too hard for me mostly though underworld mod is increased difficulty).

I may well give it a try with one of the mods, maybe Lilith, but I was so underwhelmed by the main game that I am not over optimistic. Still I may as well get some of my money's worth out of the game if I can.

Don't forget the Diablo II Immortal mod (D2I), it gives you the old Diablo2 "masteries" except for paladin and druid who haven't been implemented yet. It adds some of the Diablo bosses in too. It plays on the same map as normal TQ though(same for underlord, but underlord has a couple new area's). D2I difficulty progression is supposed to be way harder then the old TQ though, where Epic(Nightmare) should be of the difficulty of the old legendary and the new legendary is a good step up too. (I didn't got that far yet though).

Edit: after seeing Claudius remark about difficulty: if you want a real HARD, up to the point of near suicidal challenge, try one of the uber mods (for normal TQ or for Underlord).

Edited by Arperum

Guess it's a good thing that I got owned with TQ before diving into some not so linear rpgs, Mass Effect, Oblivion, the sort. :P

Still like it and now that you mentioned that, should really give Lillith a go. It's just that the time's so limited with all stuff to play. Decisions, decisions...

Can't seem to find a working link for Lilith, but I did get the Diablo 2 Immortal mod and am really looking forward to trying it out ASAP.

I have been trying the Masteries mod and although it was interesting, it still didn't quite do it for me. Alchemist was fun for a while though.

No need to be sorry, a lot of people have said the same mate, including me. I will probably play with these mods for a while and get fed up again, then put it aside for another year or so without finishing it.

There you go. Tried it just now and the installer started downloading normally.

I tried te Masteries one, didn't quite get the hang of it. Must've been 'cause I wasn't gotten deep into with the original masteries.

Thanks, I got it downloaded and gave it a quick try last night. Only 30 minutes or so but like the feel, even though it seems to be linear pathed, it seems to be a much wider path that doesn't feel as claustrophobic.

Edited by podgie_bear

No need to be sorry, a lot of people have said the same mate, including me. I will probably play with these mods for a while and get fed up again, then put it aside for another year or so without finishing it.

A bit like Diablo 2. I'd play for a while and get fed up with trying to get a complete set ! Then, a couple of weeks later I'd be playing again !

A bit like Diablo 2. I'd play for a while and get fed up with trying to get a complete set ! Then, a couple of weeks later I'd be playing again !

Yes, but with me it was usually delete characters in disgust, uninstall game, and throw in a cupboard for 9-10 months, until I decided to maybe try again.

As for Diablo 2(Lord of Destruction) that is never off my computer. I use the MedianXL mod by BrotherLaz and the PlugY storage chest expansion sustem. So with the option of 11 different skill tables for each character (3 original and 8 MedianXL which can be used in combination) and the infinte storage capacity of the shared storage chest that all your characters use (so all stored items are available to all your characters), the game never gets stale for me.