Laid off, but back again!

Originally, I was working with an American government relay service for the deaf from California, which I loved. The relay service moved back to California, however, and my time with Bell began. A few years in the center here in Montreal, then my move to work at home as part of Bell's pilot project was hugely fun. The freedom of working at home and the zero travel time made this a very difficult environment to beat.

I'm thinking/hoping that more jobs will probably go this way in the future, with at home workers carrying the brunt of services, but our small office of 15 workers had it's clock ticking, and the Lay Off Monster finally came. For a lot of my colleagues, who are perhaps older, this is a trying time, as they have families to support, bills to pay, mouths to feed, and the last thing on their minds was to get into the groove of writing up a good CV and assessing job procurement strategies.

I'm a fortunate person, one of my best friends is actually a head hunter for a top firm, and him and my cousin together with me in one night, using Google collaborative online software, helped me look like a star on paper!

I haven't job searched much, but it seems like those old days of just blindly sending out thousands of CV's with Jobopolis or whatever online spamming companies doesn't cut it anymore.

Sending out CV's is hard work!

The cover page was what I had an especially difficult time with, and tailoring the cover page to each and every job application is challenging, as you want the writing to look fresh, while being as efficient as possible with our time, knowing we have many many of these CV's to put out.

After much thinking I realized I liked service work with customers, I like to talk and it seems like I'm good with angry people :lol:

A few weeks ago, two calls came in from companies I was looking at, both large telecoms, one Rogers, the other Telus, with Rogers being unbelievably organized. I was just wanting to leap in and start working immediately. A good friend of mine put in the reference for me which brought me up to the top of the CV pile! Course, life always puts up it's obstacles/challenges, but this next one threw me for a loop... they were asking me for a passport of Citizenship card! :twitch:

Nothing I had would do, and the start date for the job was November 14th then, with me only having two weeks. I called Citizenship Canada, and they said usual wait time is 6 -8 months ...however... if I wrote Urgent on the envelope, made absolutely sure that all my documents, pictures, and money receipts were in order, there was a chance something could be rushed, as long as I wrote a letter explaining what my situation was.

I wrote the letter, explaining that if I didn't get the card in time, this offer given to me by the company would go fallow, AND I would have to go on Unemployment Insurance that Canadian government pays!

Oh the irony

:blink:

The letter I wrote must have done it's job, the card appeared five days later :bounce: and I happily showed up at my new job, card in hand, ready to report!

I know we've had members here in the middle of transitioning, and a favorite movie of mine, Up in the Air

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7k6FwXJhNk

seems to have some real meaning these days.

I'm feeling happy, and a bit lucky this time. I've danced with fate, and for now, seem to have weathered it.

Course, adventures like this are great measures of our preparedness and having rainy day stuff put away always comes in handy.

If you guys are in the middle of changes, keep up the spirits, and don't let stuff get in the way of your road!

:gogo:

gogo

Sorry to hear you were made redundant mate, it's happened to me once or twice & it's never fun.

In the UK (in the accountancy market at least) agencies cover the majority of the job market at all levels, most job adds online are put up by agencies. So apart from the first job I've always met with recruitment agents & they've dealt with the employer pre-interview. One of the benefits is that you don't need to bother doing cover letters.

Thanks Llama

And that's an amazing benefit, not having to write up those evil cover letters

:blink:

It's so tiring. We're pitching, don't wanna go to hard, and have to make ourselves look awesome, all at the same time.

Interview, I love though, and this one went well for me.

:)

gogo

Yeah, I love this job, though I'm still in training till the rest of this week, been almost a month now, but benefits are terrific, pay is better, and it's only 11 minutes from my place by metro!

:cow_white:

gogo

Yeah, I love this job, though I'm still in training till the rest of this week, been almost a month now, but benefits are terrific, pay is better, and it's only 11 minutes from my place by metro!

gogo

Ahh...no more playing sacred while you work I guess.

heh, no, this place is so strict on website usage :twitch: lol, I'm thinking of getting a data plan and a better phone just to run side apps that I don't have to run on my work computer :devil:

Gosh, I remember being able to actually play Sacred 2 though in my boxer shorts while working and having bites from a cheese omelette, freshly made, arrayed all about me. Those were the days! :4rofl:

Just remember if this doesn't work out...you can always come climb towers with me :P

:oooo:

:P

gogo

helped me look like a star on paper!

A quote comes to mind (and you had to know someone would go here): Lies, damn lies and statistics!!

After much thinking I realized I liked service work with customers, I like to talk and it seems like I'm good with angry people :lol:

Surprising number of people who can't handle angry people. A friend's wife just left a call center job because she internalized too much. At my last job, I became the go to person for angry calls... it's a good selling point because employers who deal at all w/ the public need people who can take those calls and not burn out from it.

... perhaps that skill is why I've survived 8.5 years w/ my current girlfriend... hmm, maybe I shouldn't go there. ;)

It's nice to hear that things worked out in regards to getting a new job. For myself, I've been out for almost two years now, but I will be taking Oracle training at a school here in Arizona to attempt to get employed again. If that fails, I'll have to keep an eye out for positions in a place where job demand is high(I know of one place).

A little late, but cheers mate! Glad to hear things are going well for you. ^^

I'm also hoping best results as I went into an interview today. I might have what it takes.

Nothing fancy but even a little job's kinda under the stone these days.

Congrats gogo :) fresh from university, I understand the pains about finding a job... Thank god I'm employed now and good to see you rushing for that head start! Paid off, me thinks.

Glad to hear you're back on your feet, Gogo!

Thanks Scott!

I'd hoped that you would have caught this post. Things going okay with you too?

helped me look like a star on paper!

A quote comes to mind (and you had to know someone would go here): Lies, damn lies and statistics!

Surprising number of people who can't handle angry people. A friend's wife just left a call center job because she internalized too much. At my last job, I became the go to person for angry calls... it's a good selling point because employers who deal at all w/ the public need people who can take those calls and not burn out from it.

... perhaps that skill is why I've survived 8.5 years w/ my current girlfriend... hmm, maybe I shouldn't go there. ;)

Handling angry peeps is so under rated. There are peeps that are wonderfully talented at it, can just listen to someone and instantly understand what they're going through. I've found that the better I'm able to fully empathize with another human's situation, the easier it is for me to find ways to help them. Getting angry or taking personal offense at someone else's situation just makes our time with them more painful and drags on the solution finding.

It's nice to hear that things worked out in regards to getting a new job. For myself, I've been out for almost two years now, but I will be taking Oracle training at a school here in Arizona to attempt to get employed again. If that fails, I'll have to keep an eye out for positions in a place where job demand is high(I know of one place).

Good luck with your job hunt too, DaveO! Arizona sounds like such a wonderful place, sunny, dry and blue skies, If you're able to find great work there, you'd have a kind of utopia!

A little late, but cheers mate! Glad to hear things are going well for you. ^^

I'm also hoping best results as I went into an interview today. I might have what it takes.

Nothing fancy but even a little job's kinda under the stone these days.

Thanks Storm!

I'm so sorry to get back to this days along, did your interview go okay? I'm crossing my fingers for you, and hope you have the kind of support I had as well. Family and friends all added some effort to my search, made this way less painful than I imagined.

Congrats gogo :) fresh from university, I understand the pains about finding a job... Thank god I'm employed now and good to see you rushing for that head start! Paid off, me thinks.

Bravo Timo!

I'm so happy to see you employed as well, and sounding happy. Heck, I'm just really happy to see you here posting in form!

:hugs:

gogo

Thanks for the cheers Gogs. Though I never got invitation to the second interview. Well, I'll chill out at parents and try

again some other place in a few. Hopefully with a better luck. ^^

• 1 month later...

heh, I was going over old posts, and saw about your second interview Juna, have you had more luck with your search? Lol, comfiness of parents, it's sometimes too comfy for me , as I have found out!

:lol:

gogo

I have been so busy with life and work I missed this huge event in your real life, gogo. Congrats on finding another position so quickly. ( took me 14 months) and a pay raise during a recession! Fantastic.

P.S. Sorry you have to get dressed for work now, lol That saves me from some strange mental images while reading your posts. Thks

Cheers

loco

lol, Loco! Big hugs and the years wishes to you as well friend! :hugs: Yeah, I was thinking about you as well, when I was writing this all out and going through it. I remember how long you were searching. You were diligent and pretty organized, and even went with the move for you with all that traveling.

I look back at the whole event for me, and I realize that this whole "having to keep ourselves in a state of being to redefine ourselves" is absolutely exhausting.

I want that static peace, the comfort-ability of security and even, yes, the rote in my life. I'm trying to save even more to provide or give me head space of stability, maybe the next time any kind of lay off monster turns it's rapacious eye towards me, I'll wave and simply retire to sunny island!

gogo

p.s. yeah right :4rofl:

p.s.s. Hey, clothes are expensive! :blink:

Hey there Gogo.

I've only read through here briefly, but according to some replies it looks like you lost your job, which I'm sorry to hear about.

I thought you worked in a cheesecake factory, and can't see mention of you losing that job, but maybe I missed it somewhere ?

Steve.

lol, the cheesecake factory! heh, I have to update my profile. Those were great years!

gogo

IIRC that's on yer SIF profile..............well, last time a checked anyhoo.

Very sorry that yer job fell through mate.

• 2 weeks later...

My new job is awesomer though^^

gogo

gratz gogo! My medicine is working better and I did some volunteering in the holiday rush. Your post and the way you handled things encourages me as well, good going! I'll miss those breakfasts in ancaria when you had your home job! I think I am going to become a monk sometime in the future so I won't be able to play games at that time myself, but this is probably some years down the road, I still have cats to raise. (and I am being serious).. Anyhow good to hear of your success!

ahahha, you made me laugh just now when you posted about those breakfast in Ancaria sojourns! :lol: That was an amazing year for me, I'll always remember it, so chill, and relaxed, it's like I always have to be "on" for this new job...at least till I get tips and tricks under me belt so that I can breathe a little easier.

Volunteering is amazing work Claudius, I'm thrilled to hear that you were able to get involved with that! I had volunteered for a great number of sports teams a while back, soccer and ice hockey for a few years, nothing beats it. My mom also just joined red cross volunteers and is always excited before she has to go to the center.

Glad your medication is making you feel better, tell me more about these cats!

:bounce:

gogo

Darn, kinda missed the post way back. Didn't get lucky though. Still in search of some job. It really is quite hard, when one doesn't have papers from university of applied sciences or something similar.

Still, nice to hear your having good time with your job. ^^