What is DarkMatters without Sacred?

Improvise, adapt, overcome :)

TBH I don't know...hopefully we can find another game we can all get behind and spend ridiculous amounts time on.

• Like! 1

I don't think DarkMatters will ever be without Sacred or Sacred 2.

The Sacred Wiki is coming back :yay: and add in all the hundreds of thousands of posts with builds, questions, etc... about Sacred and Sacred 2, it'll be a part of FDM for a long time to come.

There will be other games - like Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Path of Exile and of course, Diablo 3... but the Sacred universe is still the root of DarkMatters - even if it wasn't part of it's origins... I believe OGame was responsible for that - or so it would seem given some of the posts I've read on the subject.

But I think Ryan got it right - our online family.. :D

• Like! 1

I have read many posts where people ask "Why can't Sacred and Sacred 2 have a Nexus like Skyrim has, where players create new weapons, armor, quests, races, etc ?" and the answer is something along the lines of "Ascaron went belly up, so we don't have access to the tools needed to make a Nexus like Skyrim". So, my question is if Deep Silver now has the rights to those types of tools, I wonder if a group of us could ban together and buy the rights to the first two Sacreds ? If we own the rights to those games and own those tools, we could make a Nexus, and crank out new quests, stories, etc for Sacred 1 and 2 for years to come, correct? We could turn Sacred into a game for Sacred fans, By Sacred fans. If that's even possible, I'm sure it would take a lot of cash, but have you seen Kickstarter lately? Lame, side-scrolling Indie games that looks like '80s arcade games are pulling mad funding. If it's possible to do, I bet we coulod do it. No adaptation to Grim Dawn and Diablo 3 needed, bc we'd Own the Sacred series

I have read many posts where people ask "Why can't Sacred and Sacred 2 have a Nexus like Skyrim has, where players create new weapons, armor, quests, races, etc ?" and the answer is something along the lines of "Ascaron went belly up, so we don't have access to the tools needed to make a Nexus like Skyrim". So, my question is if Deep Silver now has the rights to those types of tools, I wonder if a group of us could ban together and buy the rights to the first two Sacreds ? If we own the rights to those games and own those tools, we could make a Nexus, and crank out new quests, stories, etc for Sacred 1 and 2 for years to come, correct? We could turn Sacred into a game for Sacred fans, By Sacred fans. If that's even possible, I'm sure it would take a lot of cash, but have you seen Kickstarter lately? Lame, side-scrolling Indie games that looks like '80s arcade games are pulling mad funding. If it's possible to do, I bet we coulod do it. No adaptation to Grim Dawn and Diablo 3 needed, bc we'd Own the Sacred series

That question has already been asked, and the answer was no. Apparently Sacred contains some 3rd party code used under license, therefor DS (and Ascaron before them) lacked the right to release the game code.

That question has already been asked, and the answer was no. Apparently Sacred contains some 3rd party code used under license, therefor DS (and Ascaron before them) lacked the right to release the game code.

Yeah.. Except to a degree we DO kind of have access to that - the CM Patch guys have added new armor, weapons and quests and quest rewards to the game.

It's not quite to the point where we can make a new map, add too much in the way of new stuff, but we have a very limited access to that sort of thing. There is a finite amount of task, quest and item ID numbers available - and from what I've seen posted, there aren't too many free ID numbers left.

It must be said though - that Marcuswob and Czevak DO have access to at least some of the tools needed to get into the innards of the game. They have a tool that allows them to see inside the global resource file. The best they can do is give the game a bit of a tune up - which is most of what they are doing with the CM Patch.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1

Lujate, this is a cool topic for us. I agree that so much of our gravitas for years has come from the Sacred Franchise, and I was always proud that we seemed to be the only gaming forum that somehow or other managed to get by without a lot of the flaming that was coming up on other forums. We have a measured very very productive community that knows how to listen to each and speak.

I think that it's because of this that all of us, family, that's come together over the years have Options and a vista.

The cool thing is that, and I finally realized this, that Sacred 2 can be infiintely creatable. This means that when SacredWiki is back (bounce) There's still an unlimted number of guides, rewrites and links that are possible.

While the gaming for sacred for us is certainly different, our community here as DarkMatters as the ultimate representatives of fanatical fans with zeal, well we have a place to put it.

It's going to come back soon, we promise.

And that could be an iteration of Sacred that I feel confident could take us down the road for years.

Work on downloads, videos, walk through, sky's the limit

What a great chill hobby this is, could, will become.

:)

gogo

It was Sacred that brought most of us here, but it was the community that kept people. I can only imagine where darkmatters would be now if Sacred did not have MP. Shared HC experiences foster unbelievably strong bonds.

The lure of S3 has provided darkmatters with mojo the past couple years. Now that it appears the third installment in the series is taking a different route (please leave the specifics out of this thread), and that got me to wondering what is on the horizon for us? Will future generations of darklings enjoy the rich experiences we have?

• Like! 1

It'd still be a pretty darn good single player game. As I rarely ever play multiplayer, and I never did hardcore mode online when it was an option - and I'm still here. While what you say is true... Combat where your life depends on it does forge comradeship, it's not the only flame that draws us moths to it.

It was Sacred that brought most of us here, but it was the community that kept people. I can only imagine where darkmatters would be now if Sacred did not have MP. Shared HC experiences foster unbelievably strong bonds.

The lure of S3 has provided darkmatters with mojo the past couple years. Now that it appears the third installment in the series is taking a different route (please leave the specifics out of this thread), and that got me to wondering what is on the horizon for us? Will future generations of darklings enjoy the rich experiences we have?

I know what you mean too. It's going to be really tuff to emulate Sacred for a community. Yeah it was HC, but it was an intelligent one, and we were all coming in fresh. We're seasoned players now, years later, and the gaming world has exploded. My cousin told me that never winter nights was free to play, and it's online... almost clicked on the download link, as I have more time at home now, but promised Schot I'd offer complete support until the wiki is back up, and this means no oohs and aahs from my room to torture him even more as he tries to work on this massive dbase.

gogo

The thought came to me this afternoon, brought about by all the discouraging news about S3.

Here's the thing Lujate... we can't understimate the power of an active sacred 2 community with posts and continued work on it's wiki, as well by posting activitiy notes on Deep Silver's forums.

I've been not there lately, but I know that if/when peeps are interested again cuz the wiki is up, this could REVERSE ripple back to Deep Silver AND Keen...if they know there are fans active, this can only help and be noted.

gogo

Noted and logged by Deep Silver and Keen - and ignored.

Thus far, they've managed to completely ignore the impassioned posts on Deep Silver's site. They've ignored common freakin' sense. Sorry... I just don't see them giving an Ancarian champion Cellar Rat's hind end about the players or producing a quality game worthy of the Sacred legacy.

Noted and logged by Deep Silver and Keen - and ignored.

I'm not there yet

I like to think that a daily post of mine or two could add to the already posted influence!

:superman:

gogo