The Related Word Game - 2017!

helicopter -> parents

With 5 kids hovering like a helicopter at a single child is no good. We have a sailplane to soar quickly from kid to kid - silently like dangerous eagle owls. If the kids would know that the eagle owls on the other side of the hill are in reality my wife and me in disguise ;)

Helicopter_WikiWorld_panel1.png

• Appreciation 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

genetics -> epigenetics

As a young child the growing body needs some trigger events to unlock certain genes. There is a study on dutch kids which had not enough food in the winter 1944/45. Certain genes were not triggered. Even worse - their kids who didn't grew up in hunger had these genes not triggered. German kids in 1917/18 showed similiar symptons, but there were not studies because genetics weren't researched.

We were eating a wide spread sortiment of food when the kids were small, just in case.

wide assortment.. hahhaa ewww... sounds like what my parents fed me when I was a kid too

ahh, to dream of a life of honey and chocolate..

:D

gogo

• Appreciation 1
2 hours ago, chattius said:

exalt -> beer

Auf Ex means drinking a beer in one go

Altbier, short Alt, is a copper coloured beer whose name comes from it being top-fermented, an older method than the bottom fermentation of lagers.

I never saw the reason in drinking a good tasting beer in one go, must be being young and stupid.

beer -> sublime

Ayup.. drinking the good stuff slowly is where its at

at least these days

:lol:

gogo

• Like! 1
1 minute ago, chattius said:

Yes, german version had an income tax and ab extra tax field.

tax -> Jungfernsteuer / not married women tax

Unmarried women between 20 and 40 had to pay it in Prussia in the 18th century. The country was in need of soldiers and money...

Jungfernsteuer / not married women tax -> All quiet on the western front

Just saw the movie a few days ago on netflix, and read some into its history...

master piece

:)

gogo

• Appreciation 1

All quiet on the western front -> Der Funke Leben / Spark of Lide

I still think that the movie from 1930 is the best, got an oscar as best movie. It is also a quiet good book. From Erich Maria Remarque we had to read 'All quiet on the western front' and 'Spark of Life' in history lessons when I was 14, most others in class 15. So my dad had to sign that he allowed to read the books.

Spark of Life was recently adapted for theaters, but I found no spare weekend to visit the theatres which play it.

• Appreciation 1

Der Funke Leben / Spark of Lide -> classics

we had just upgraded out TV last month, 65 inch, so we had real impact with this movie.

Its not one I'll go easy to sleep with... meaningful

:)

gogo

• Appreciation 1