Archiving all your pm's

Every once in a while that old pm box gets full and very often there are several pms that you just can't afford to lose. For me it's gotten to a point where nearly 50% of max pms are important to me so I needed a solution to clear up space in my pm box. Hence the archive option in the pm box's options.

For any of you who haven't done this already here is how:

Click on the "# New Messages" link at the upper right of page, or however you normally get to the pms window.

On the left where all those links are you will see "Archive Messages". Click on that and you will get options for archiving your pms. By default archiving pms will NOT delete the pms, it will simply make a batch of duplicates and send them to the email that you registered to the forum with. With regards to your email, make sure that the email you have here is a valid one.

The last option is "Compile datafile as:". I chose HTML from the drop down as opposed to the default "MS Excel" because I don't have any MS software. The archived pms in HTML is very nicely done and I recieved my archived pms from my email inbox in a matter of seconds. Give it a try and feel free to ask for help if you need.

Continued...

Now that you've got your uber leet archiving skills down, here's something else you can do to make the process less painful when you've reached your allowable limit of pms:

Click on "My Controls" at the upper right of page. (This is almost the same as clicking the link "# New Messages" at the upper right of page.) At the left you'll see a ll those option links. One of which is "Edit Storage Folders", click on that and you'll been taken to a screen about the two different folders that contain your pm's. The inbox and Sent Items. Below those you will see;

Add New Virtual Directories

You may add extra directories. You do not have to use all the input boxes.

What I have done is created a new folder called Archive. Call it whatever suits your needs ultimately. Now that you have this new folder what you can do is that as you recieve new pm's you can either leave them in the inbox for future deletion or you can move pm's you think you'll want to keep into the archive folder for future archiving. To send a pm that is in your inbox to your Archive folder click on the inbox link. You will see to the right of each pm an empty white square. Click on the white square so that a check mark appears in it. Near the bottom of the list of pm's you will see a button(move to), a drop down menu(Inbox is visible by default) and another button(delete) and then the words "the selected messages". With the pm, or pm's, still check marked you can click the drop down arrow, choose "Archive" and then push the "move to" button to send the check marked pm's from your inbox to your Archive. By the same process you could delete pm's. Check mark and then push the "delete" button.

The idea here is to store the important stuff in the Archive folder you create and when the day comes that you reach the max allowable pm's you can archive your Archive folder which would be emailed to you and then mass delete everything. Which brings me to the last step:

Once again to the far left where all those red links are you will see "Empty PM Folders". Click on that and you will see all your pm related folders, how many pm's are in each and then empty white squares farthest to the right. Click on the white squares to check mark what needs to be emptied and then push the "continue" button to finish the job.

And there yah have it. A nice orderly pm manager. Now some of you might think I'm obsessive but believe me. You really don't want to be surprised one day with a maxed out pm manager and then have to read each and every pm in order to decide whats important and whats not. :drinks:

Cheers gang! :)

P.s. You know as an after thought I suppose you could just archive everything. Man... Why didn't I think of that before I typed all this. Haha. Oh well!

• 3 months later...

Spring is here, (looks at the snow banks outside... :( ) and with spring comes a bit of cleaning so I thought I'd bump this topic for you all. It's probably just about time for this. Archiving pms and an explaination of how to do it in the first post above. :D

• 2 years later...

Guess what I just did.... Yup! I cleaned my forum inbox just now. Thought it might be nice to suggest the idea to yah all. ^^ I didn't have a whole lot so it was just a matter of checking PMs and deleting. If any of you prefer to save your PMs(Private Messages) you can have a look at the fist post in this topic for the "How to". :viking:

P.s.

When reading a PM there is a delete button you can click to delete the PM. After which you'll be sent back to your Inbox list of PMs.