Our very own FDM Favicon.

Hey gang. :lol:

Some of you have mentioned that you've noticed a little change here at FDM. Albeit a small change I think it's one that helps us to stand out among the crowd. It's a unique Favicon just for us! :lol:

For those of you who might not know what a Favicon is it is the little icon that sits in the left side of the address bar. So you should all now be seeing something like the following in your address bar at the top of your browser:

Now there's a bit of a problem with this I'm afraid. Unfortunately Firefox seems to be the only browser that has made sure that Favicons appear properly. After doing a lot of reading about how other browsers handle Favicons I've learned that it may or may not show in them. One trick I learned on how to make them work in other browsers is to click and hold the little icon in your address bar. Drag away, don't let go of it, then drag it back to where you took it and let go. Strange I know, lol. I tried this and it actually did work. So for non Firefox users you may or may not see this change. If it does not work then you'll just see the default Favicon that comes with your browser.

The Favicon will also become the icon that sits beside your bookmark of FDM and will also appear in any tab you have open of FDM.

Strangely enough I didn't really intend to do this. I was attempting to make an .ico image to use as a desktop shortcut for an FDM link on my desktop. That said if you'd like to use it then feel free. This is an ".ico" type image. Windows requires this type of an image to use as shortcut icons:

http://www.darkmatters.org/forums/style_im...in/FDM_icon.ico

And now I've just learned that .ico images can not be displayed in a post, lol. Well if you click on the link you will see the image by itself on a separate page. You download that image and once you have you can try this out for fun. I did! :D

Make a shortcut link to FDM on your desktop. Easiest way is to grab the url from your address bar and drag-n-drop it onto your desktop. Once it's there right click on it. From the menu that appears choose properties. From the properties box click on the "Change Icon" button. Push the Browse button to find where the FDM_icon.ico is. Once you've found it click on it and push the open button. Then push the Ok button, then Apply and then Ok. That's it! Your Desktop shortcut should now be in the form of the FDM_icon.ico I supplied.

Cheers everyone!

Fantastic!

Take a bow Mister Schotty...that new little glowy thing looks awesome in my addy bar when I'm on this site now.

Yee haw, our own little favicon!

:lol:

gogo

Oh great idea Yarasa! Let me do it gogo. *gets ink and big sharp pin* Mwahaha! :cry:

Thanx for the nice words guys and glad you all like it as much as I do. I took a lil screenshot of my desktop and cut out the area that shows the new shortcut I made. Have a looksy.

deskicons.gif

http://www.darkmatters.org/forums/style_im...in/FDM_icon.ico