Foods you cannot, could not, will not eat!

Actually when the wife and I were at a resturant down here in the islands, she wandered off to the restroom about the time the waitress arriveed so I order alligator as a appister I let her taste some before I told her what they were. They tasted really fishy, they were o.k. but nothing I would go out of my way foralligator_walking2.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of chitlins......

That is something that will never NEVER, pass through my lips. I saw one of my friends eating this at work years ago... :) .

They come in a big bucket in the grocery. As I recall you can get them either cleaned or uncleaned, which would be a bit cheaper. My friend said that his sisters were mad because they had to clean them. But based on the smell of his lunch they had the last laugh.

to paraphrase Golum: "Give me a nice bowl of gumbo--you keep nasty chitlins!"

@ Vampie: I was always anti tripe; you could never get me to even look at it. Then one day I had some Nasi Babat in an Indonesian restaurant. Nasi, I know is rice but it wasn't until after I was more than halfway finished that my companions(after much discussion) came to the conclusion that the translation for babat was tripe(deep fried).

Then later came my current obsession--Soto Batawi. This is a heavenly soup with cubes of tender beef and tripe(perhaps a bit of lung as well) floating in a broth made from coconut milk and cream.

All this talk of chitlins......

That is something that will never NEVER, pass through my lips. I saw one of my friends eating this at work years ago... :) .

They come in a big bucket in the grocery. As I recall you can get them either cleaned or uncleaned, which would be a bit cheaper. My friend said that his sisters were mad because they had to clean them. But based on the smell of his lunch they had the last laugh.

to paraphrase Golum: "Give me a nice bowl of gumbo--you keep nasty chitlins!"

there is no laughing when it comes to chitlins... only the sound of babies crying, and men gnashing their teeth in anger. I involuntarily throw up in my mouth when I think of chitlins... or even words that start with a chi now... its scary. theres like chitlins everywhere... chitlins is the devil's work. I feel like some kind of evangelist... but chitlins is awful. if you like chitlins, please go see a doctor.

as for alligator, the gators that I've had have only tasted just like a chewier version of boneless chicken breast... maybe I had processed gator, yours probably was fresher than mine... the biggest lizard around here is the 22 foot long iguana (with like a 19 foot long tail) that lives in this one dude's truck... no gators... just big iguana. hmmmm I wonder...*ponders*... I wonder what iguana tastes...*trails off in thought*

-Total

I have a condition to where if I am curious about something then I must find out .... when it comes to food this can sometimes be a little disgusting b/c my curiousity overides my judgment .... just so you know if I manage to get some free time and can find any of these errr dishes being served in my local area I will take pics of myself eating what you all dispise! cheers for coming up with weird stuff! :P

I have a condition to where if I am curious about something then I must find out .... when it comes to food this can sometimes be a little disgusting b/c my curiousity overides my judgment .... just so you know if I manage to get some free time and can find any of these errr dishes being served in my local area I will take pics of myself eating what you all dispise! cheers for coming up with weird stuff! :P

trust me. if you try chitlins, your soul will be possessed by satan.

-Total

In all fairness, the taste of chitlins was just fine. Its not something you would see in "Fear Factor", coz really its not disgusting.

Just stink...... :P

I'll try anything within reason...which does not include:

Hakarl

Any Icleandians here to defend this thing? Didn't think so. Take a minute and watch the below National Geographic clip on this "delicacy":

I'd probaby be willing to eat haggis stuffed chitlins in a monkey brain, cow eyeball cream sauce than eat the aforementioned.

EDIT: Upon further research I wouldnt make it with any Icelandic fare. Below is food from on eo their food festivals:

Þorramatur consists of many different dishes, including:

Kæstur hákarl, Greenland shark

Súrsaðir hrútspungar, the cured scrota of rams, including testicles

Svið, singed sheep heads

Sviðasulta, head cheese made from svið

Lifrarpylsa (liver sausage), a sausage made from the offal of sheep

Blóðmör (blood-fat; also known as slátur, meaning slaughter), a type of blood pudding, which is prepared like lifrarpylsa, except blood is added to the mix.

Harðfiskur, dried fish (often cod, haddock or seawolf), served with butter

Rúgbrauð (rye bread), traditional Icelandic rye bread

Hangikjot, (hung meat), usually smoked lamb

Lundabaggi, sheep’s fat

Selshreifar, seal's flippers (occasionally: only if the seals were hunted by the servers themselves)

:woot::o:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Edited by locutus

It didn't seem too bad .... my sense of smell has been messed up since being a toddler so that is one thing about food that doesn't bather me. I would try Hakarl if I ever make to iceland.

*edit*

the testicles and stuff like that I would have to get paid alot of money .... but other then that it really wouldn't bother me.

Edited by Wankers
Raisins. Don't like em, won't eat em.

Hi kiddys, Anybody for some pickled Pigs FEET,

I'm in the South part of Texas,USA . . . and down here, its well known,

that you can't make chitlins with out a lil' dandylion, & some chili petin.

I give ya some Frog Legs or trade ya for some Kangaroo . . .

This is halarious ! Do ya mind if I start a similar forum topic at my site.

I enjoy most of the things here, regularily,

but try some Mountain Oysters or Cowboy stew, then gimme a call for the recipe.

HOLY www.VictoriaTexas.org/

I'll try anything within reason...which does not include:

Hakarl

Any Icleandians here to defend this thing? Didn't think so. Take a minute and watch the below National Geographic clip on this "delicacy":

I'd probaby be willing to eat haggis stuffed chitlins in a monkey brain, cow eyeball cream sauce than eat the aforementioned.

Þorramatur consists of many different dishes, including:

Kæstur hákarl, Greenland shark

Svið, singed sheep heads

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

heh heh heh, I was the first to mention these ones, looks like they're still the dishes that sick people out most

:D

~Doom

EDIT: Svio pic! :P

Edited by TimOfDoom
In all fairness, the taste of chitlins was just fine. Its not something you would see in "Fear Factor", coz really its not disgusting.

Just stink...... :D

I didn't know anyone had ever actually eaten chitlins... I just assumed the smell killed whoever came into a chernobyl-like radius of the preparation area... as for the rams head... how are you supposed to eat that? do they give you a machete and are like "dig in!"... it doesnt look too bad... also, I often eat shark, shark scallops, shark fin, that kinda stuff. the only seafood I like, besides shrimp. it's good. BUT, my friend made the mistake of not immediately decapitating his catch, and the shark peed... RUINED the meat. RUINED it. worst shark I've ever had. good eats though normally.

-Total

I'm with you on the gazpacho stuff Bond ugghh, I love spouts! but ONLY RAW...don't you dare cook em or they get thrown in the bin! Actually don't cook any of my veg..ever LOL...well ok you can stir fry me some cabbage and just show my cauliflower some hot water....I know I am wierd with food. I'm embaressed to say how picky I am. LOL So I won't add anymore to it suffice it to say I hate cooked veggies but raw I can eat em all day long....all of them even lovely little brocoli trees.

Do you eat your RICE ~ raw ? chomp chop, chomp chop mum, I wonder if that's where the term . . . chop sticks / came from huh

Please . Please chew it . Its disgusting coming out, still alive ... It might even get on a stick of its own ! Then What ? what'ch gonna doooooo

Every bodys going to be watching you walk ~ ya know, thats' why the rice eaters, take shorter steps. ewh . . . don't steep in it !

Sticky to ya butt/Sticky Butt ______________ My SIR Name ain't HOLY, fer-nut'in ............. ............ .......... Robin ******** You might

leave some Rise, ^^^^^ in the path of my escape route . >>>>>>>>> Might HELL, <<<<<<<< Don't YOU Dare !

#################################################################### MiShizeeez ------- Im'Tall\\\\\\\\yak, yak

re:visit the fire ~ good dang reason ^^^^^^ for THAT Light ! +++++++++++ Sumbody ain't chuw'n """"""""" X?X?X?X?X?X?X? """"""""""

Thairs gotta' B a proVerb lllllllllll )))))))000000000ddddoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo THAT

...................................................................... " THANX Jesus " .......................................................... $$$$$$izzell'n

would ya eat ? Mwa <<<<<<<< How wood I know if ya cooked me :) How cum I hear laughing ? Is that laughing

@@@@@@@@@ Don't go there

.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Still bad;;;;;;;;;;;;

Edited by rmholy

Just stink...... :Just_Cuz_21:

I didn't know anyone had ever actually eaten chitlins... I just assumed the smell killed whoever came into a chernobyl-like radius of the preparation area... as for the rams head... how are you supposed to eat that? do they give you a machete and are like "dig in!"... it doesnt look too bad... also, I often eat shark, shark scallops, shark fin, that kinda stuff. the only seafood I like, besides shrimp. it's good. BUT, my friend made the mistake of not immediately decapitating his catch, and the shark peed... RUINED the meat. RUINED it. worst shark I've ever had. good eats though normally.

-Total

heh, actually sounds quite toxic.

And...I still haven't seen a pic of it yet

:P

gogo

A pic is below, makes 'em look nastier than borg does :Just_Cuz_21:

Almost there, continue if you dare ;)

Makchang.jpg

:P

~Doom